Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS

Contact Aspyr. There's no chance that posting here will get them to change anything.

I did as suggested. This was Aspyr's reply:

"(...) Unfortunately, Civilization 3 Complete for Mac is only available through DVD on sites like Amazon and eBay.

At the current time we do not have any plans to rerelease Civilization 3 digitally, as it is an older game that is officially unsupported to play on Mac OS 10.7 and up. (...)"

I thought that the version they had for sale on their website was fully MacIntel compatible?

Well I guess my next question is would anyone be interested in selling me their digital copy (EULA permitting)?

MacIntel refers to hardware (cpu). Don't confuse that with the various OS versions that run on the same hardware.

Why is it you're not interested in buying the dvd version? Is it only because of the "insert dvd" copy protection?

I may be wrong, but I think the issues are ...

The reference to Intel is relevant because OS 10.7 and above cannot run Rosetta, and therefore cannot run PPC apps. The DVD version is PPC-only out of the box, and needs an upgrade to work as a Universal app. And the updater is PPC only!

Exactly. I'm looking to buy the pre patched Civ3 version that runs natively on Intel Macs. Aspyr used to sell it through their website but apparently not anymore.

I seem to recall that at one time Aspyr would take pity on people with the DVD version and new Macs, and send them a Universal installer on proof of purchase of the DVD.

The message you have received doesn't even seem to offer that option.

Hey guys, just downloaded Civ3 from GamersGate and installed but it crashes everytime I open it up after copying it to my applications folder. It says 1.22 Rev. A as the version so it should work right?
Let me know if you guys did anything differently when downloading Civ 3 Complete from GamersGate

Actually just got it to work! When it's opening up make sure to hit command and switch it to window view. So excited!

Thanks for the heads-up! I tend to hold off immediately upgrading to find out which apps no longer work; sad to hear that's the case for Civ III.

Thankfully I've kept my old MacBook running Snow Leopard - partly in order to still be able to run the classic Blizzard games (Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3), now for Civ3, it sounds like.

Anyone else had problems running Civ3 on Yosemite?

I have a yr. old 27" imac and when running Mavericks it worked full screen just fine. Now, having installed Yosemite I can only get it to work in a window @ 1024x768. My preferred monitor res is 2560x1440 which no longer is available.. Sux. I remember from way back that I had a utility called "CivIIIResolutionHacker". I tried it on yosemite, but It sez it only works on Power PC systems. I'll try to tinker around with it and see if I can't get it to run on yosemite.

If it's a PowerPC-only utility then there is not likely to be a way to run it in Yosemite. You would need Rosetta support, and that is not available in the newer versions of OS X.

Have you tried manually editing the preferences file? It's ~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ3conquests.plist, and you can find several display parameters in the file. Try editing the following ones:

GameDisplayHeight = xxxx;
GameDisplayWidth = xxxx;

As a wee update:

I just updated my 13" 2013 Macbook Air to Yosemite (10.10.1) the other day, and Civ III is still working fine, in a window. I'm pretty sure I've always had to run it in a window, even on Snow Leopard - can't remember why/when I found that out.

Anyway, this is the version of Civ III Complete bought from Asypr/GameAgent, which I gather is no longer available, so the above information may only be relevant to a few people.

Let's hope it continues to function for a few more years!

If it's a PowerPC-only utility then there is not likely to be a way to run it in Yosemite. You would need Rosetta support, and that is not available in the newer versions of OS X.

Have you tried manually editing the preferences file? It's ~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ3conquests.plist, and ylou can find several display parameters in the file. Try editing the following ones:

GameDisplayHeight = xxxx;
GameDisplayWidth = xxxx;

lm

I have a yr. old 27" imac and when running Mavericks it worked full screen just fine. Now, having installed Yosemite I can only get it to work in a window @ 1024x768. My preferred monitor res is 2560x1440 which no longer is available.. Sux. I remember from way back that I had a utility called "CivIIIResolutionHacker". I tried it on yosemite, but It sez it only works on Power PC systems. I'll try to tinker around with it and see if I can't get it to run on yosemite.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk

Any of you guys can confirm if the gamersagate version is working on Yosemite?
Much more expensive that the Steam version but is Mac and I wouldn't need to WINE it.

Thanks

So... since no one could help much I went ahead and bought the game.

Turns out it's the same thing as the one running arround the web as far as the full screen goes but he game runs well and I now have the serial number.

Funny how Aspyr lists OS X Yosemite as good for the game.
(my graphics card is the Intel HD 4000)

I have tried Wineskin to install a legit Windows copy via Steam. Almost there I think.

- Use wineskin, following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNrUiLXqdJk

To install a Windows version of Steam that runs on OSX (I'm using Yosemite).
- Start the windows Steam that was just created.
- Buy Civ 3 ($4.99) and wait for it to download.
- It will start, but for me it doesn't get past the 2K video. So need to skip this by adjusting a config file. Quit Steam, and...
- Go to the Wineskin App you created for Steam. Right click for 'show package contents'.
- Go to: drive_c/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/Conquests
- Open conquests.ini in TextEdit
- Modify the top of the file by adding two lines to look like this:
[Conquests]
PlayIntro=0
KeepRes=1
- Save, Start Steam again. Civ 3 will start at the menu, and a game can be started just fine.

Issues:
- No mouse pointer.
Fix: Swap to another app (Command+Tab) and swap back to Civ

- Sound. Some sounds start and don't stop.
Fix: Turn off sound in Civ preferences and restart.

- Game crashes after a short while.
Fix: Turn off in game overlay and friend notifications in steam.
Also disable crashing dll by:
Go to the Wineskin App you created for Steam. Right click for 'show package contents'.
Launch "Wineskin" in there
"Advanced->Tools->winecfg->libraries
Add: gameoverlayrenderer.dll

I also noted this here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/3910/discussions/0/540743756914751253/

Top Bottom