Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Obi-Wan dies because he is the Mentor and the Mentor always dies in the middle of the film to give the hero fresh courage and determination.

I guess you had to be sitting in the theatre, seeing it on a big screen for the first time.
That's probably true. When you're looking back at it through Episodes V and VI, let alone the prequels or the expanded universe, the lightsabre-action seems very sparse, but I guess when it's the only lightsabre-action anyone's ever seen anywhere, it's going to make an impact.

That's probably true. When you're looking back at it through Episodes V and VI, let alone the prequels or the expanded universe, the lightsabre-action seems very sparse, but I guess when it's the only lightsabre-action anyone's ever seen anywhere, it's going to make an impact.
It certainly did for me. I was 14 when I saw Star Wars in the theatre in 1977, and had never seen anything like lightsabres.

When you actually look back at Episode IV, it's kind of weird how iconic the lightsabers became, because they barely feature. There's that one non-duel with Darth Vader, and Luke bats away a few blaster rounds, but mostly it's spaceships and blasters all the way. It's not until Empire that they seemed to know what to do with the things.
The lightsaber was hugely symbolic in the first movie, and central to Luke's heroic journey to becoming The (Chosen) One - it's the physical representation of the mystical power that is the key to defeating the Big Bad. It's also part of Luke's connection to his father; Obi-Wan tries to give Luke Anakin's saber when he tells him about the Force and delivers the famous "a more elegant weapon for a more civilized time" line. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the movie wouldn't work without the lightsaber, but it's important to the story. And of course, it's cool. Far from being weird that it became iconic, I think it would be weird if it hadn't.

It always bothered me that while Obi-Wan kept this big Anakin/Vader reveal from Luke, had him on Tatooine for 19 years and did no training, spoke highly of Anakin as a great star pilot... And said "your father wanted you to have this [light sabre] when you were old enough...

Then... Episoded II and III happen and we learn:
-- Jedi are not supposed to marry
-- Vader thought the kid was dead with momma
-- a nine year-old Anakin was too old for Jedi training but not a 19 year-old Luke? (Wait! Episode V -- unaltered -- Yoda complains Luke is too old... But also that he was Obi-Wan's master... Oh... nvm, Yoda taught younglings... Okay...)

Okay, but that thing in Ep. VI about Leia having no memory of her father, when she says on Ep IV "My father tells me..." on R2's recorded message.

It always bothered me that while Obi-Wan kept this big Anakin/Vader reveal from Luke, had him on Tatooine for 19 years and did no training, spoke highly of Anakin as a great star pilot... And said "your father wanted you to have this [light sabre] when you were old enough...

Then... Episoded II and III happen and we learn:
-- Jedi are not supposed to marry
-- a nine year-old Anakin was too old for Jedi training but not a 19 year-old Luke? (Wait! Episode V -- unaltered -- Yoda complains Luke is too old... But also that he was Obi-Wan's master... Oh... nvm, Yoda taught younglings... Okay...)

Okay, but that thing in Ep. VI about Leia having no memory of her father, when she says on Ep IV "My father tells me..." on R2's recorded message.
Leia also says she has dim memories of her mother - presumably her birth mother, given the context of her conversation with Luke. But in the prequels, Amidala dies in childbirth. Some people have suggested that Leia's latent Force powers allowed her to see the past, but because she doesn't know she can do that, she thinks it's just a memory. Other people say you have to reinterpret what she said to mean her adopted mother, or even a nanny or grandmother or someone else altogether. I just think the people who wrote the prequels didn't really give two [craps] about the original series and maintaining consistency was less important to them than finding a good latte. But maybe that's just me. ;)

Obi-Wan dies because he is the Mentor and the Mentor always dies in the middle of the film to give the hero fresh courage and determination.

I just think the people who wrote the prequels didn't really give two [craps] about the original series and maintaining consistency was less important to them than finding a good latte. But maybe that's just me. ;)

once again that's just because Alec Guinness saved the Star Wars genre by getting Lucas to change the plot for he would have died in the Empire Strikes Back , finally atoning for the stuff he had caused . You know after giving some training to Luke , though ı was 12 when ı saw the Empire back in 1982 ; actually sat on the stairs during the last 5 or 10 minutes to wait for the crowds to get out , went in earlier to grab a seat ... And let me tell you Yoda was just great . There are no loose ends in Star Wars and the Leia issue would turn this into a rather stupid conspiracy thread as well .

Jedi are not supposed to marry
-- a nine year-old Anakin was too old for Jedi training but not a 19 year-old Luke?

a Skywalker is a Skywalker and "The Force is strong in this one." would have been the root cause of Vader not shooting Luke down in the Trench ; the 3x3 would have his two wingmen as crack shots downing any Y-Wing or the odd X that tried to avoid Vader's TIE , besides adding to Vader's shooting . But this would have meant no Empire Strikes Back . A good compromise ?

If a planet proves to have something the movers and shakers want or need, it will end up that way. That's what happened in Dune, and there are a lot of elements of Dune that ended up in Star Wars.

Yes, but isn't that the idea of Dune? It is where the spice comes from, which is needed for a whole host of things. It is where Mual'Dib operates, where the Fremens he rules are. It is where the action happens.

The same can't really be said for Star Wars; there's a whole lot of planets where a numerous of important for the story events happen.

too many planets and you loose track of what happened where . This from a guy who really thinks especially stuff out of the 6 movies has too many things happening in Tatooine . Even if it's perfect place to hide Luke from Vader .

Yes, but isn't that the idea of Dune? It is where the spice comes from, which is needed for a whole host of things. It is where Mual'Dib operates, where the Fremens he rules are. It is where the action happens.

The same can't really be said for Star Wars; there's a whole lot of planets where a numerous of important for the story events happen.
My point was that Dune was considered a backwater by most of the Imperial Houses. To them, the important stuff happened at the Imperial Court on Kaitain. To the Harkonnens and their allies, the important stuff happened on Giedi Prime. It wasn't until the Emperor and the Bene Gesserit noticed what was happening among the Atreides on Caladan (another backwater planet) with the Duke's fighters and Paul that the focus switched to Caladan and Arrakis. Then, after Paul overthrew the Emperor, Dune finally did become THE place in the Imperium and Kaitain was relegated to 'poor-relation' status.

Sure, the spice was needed a long time before that, but the vast majority of its users never bothered to really think about where it came from or how it was acquired. It took the assassination of Duke Leto, a guerilla war, the overthrow of the Emperor, and a jihad/new religion to make Arrakis the center of everyone's attention.

I'm a little disappointed to see that banthas were just disguised elephants. :(

I don't know. I just assumed that they were there, if you know what I mean.

I don't know. I just assumed that they were there, if you know what I mean.
I always thought they were motion capture models or two guys in a costume. After all, I only remember seeing them in one scene in A New Hope: when Luke views them through his binoculars. They just sort of shuffled around with no clear indicators of scale.

The father/ mentor has to die for the hero to symbolically inherit the role of prime actor. Narrative causality and Freud both agree.

It's common in many parts of the world in mythology and storytelling.

With Star Wars, it's yet another point of similarity with Dune.

Top Bottom