The AI actively tried to prevent my victory!

kamikazees

Warlord
I think I experienced the most brilliant AI tactics so far.

I was playing on a "Shuffle" map (completely random, Emperor level). I was China and the map was a weird islands / small continents map.

I sort of meandered my way through the game. Around T125, I decided I should start trying to win. Rome, Celts and Polynesia were all going cultural. I had 3 cities, no navy and only my capitol had good growth. Everyone liked me, though, so I decided to RA my way to a science VC.

The trouble was that there was only 6 aluminum accessible on the map, all in city state territory: two city states (Hanoi and Brussels) had 3 each.

No one had allied Hanoi, so I got them allied. Rome was the ally of Brussels, but I undid that. I had Brussels allied for like 30 turns no problem. I built spaceship factories in 2 cities (using almost 1/2 the aluminum). Hubble built in the capitol.

The trouble came right as I started popping spaceship parts. After the first 2 parts, Rome coup'd Hanoi. He had not done that all game. I had to stop building 2 parts. Then the Celts suddenly coup'd Brussels! I had to stop the spaceship completely. I got Hanoi and Brussels back, but Rome and the Celts kept coup'ing/swiping Brussels (they had tons of money).

Maybe the AIs just wanted to suddenly ally a cultural CS because of their chosen VC, but they sure fought hard. In fact, it got to the point that I did something I've never done before: I captured a city state. That was my one and only DoW in the game.

Everyone hated me, but I finished the parts like 4 turns after capturing Brussels. So has an AI ever actively tried to prevent you from winning?

Unfortunately, this sounds like a coincidence. Coup spamming is nothing new for the AI. I doubt the AI is programmed to recognize your reliance on CS aluminum.

The AI does try to stop you achieving stuff, definitely, but I think it needs to conflict with its own goals.

It seems there are always a lot of coups the turn when the UN voting is to occur. I could have every city state (on emporer runaways) and have most of them stolen that turn.

Getting all the city states I need for the vote, then declaring war on everyone eliminates that problem though.

I had to stop the spaceship completely.
Isn't 1 aluminum enough to build all parts? Once a part is delivered to capitol it becomes available again. There is also a building that provides aluminum.

Isn't 1 aluminum enough to build all parts? Once a part is delivered to capitol it becomes available again. There is also a building that provides aluminum.

1 is not enough to build parts in all 3 cities at the same time. And after the second coup, I was -2 and could not build.

The recycling center costs 500 :c5production: and gives 2 aluminum. If using that, I would have needed (a) 1 in all 3 cities, or (b) 1 in a city and still 1 city state ally with aluminum. Brussels was my neighbor so I went with option (c): 1 city state ally and one puppeted city state.

Now that I think about it, option (b) might have been the best plan if it took me longer to capture Brussels than had I built a recycling center. By that point I was so mad I was looking for a fight, though. :devil:

1 is not enough to build parts in all 3 cities at the same time. And after the second coup, I was -2 and could not build.
Depending on your progress, you might have been able to save time by just scrapping your two Spaceship Factories to free up the Aluminum for your Spaceship parts.

Yeah it only does that with the human.

It will declare war if you are building space ship parts but I have seen the Ai built many space ship parts but don't declare war on eachother

By the way the AI just loves to steal you're city states thats pretty much what happens

It pisses me off that the AI doesn't acknowledge other AIs who are close to winning the game but if you are close like 4 people will DOW you.

The Diplomacy aspect of this game is terrible.

Over the course of 50-60 victories and far more games that I got bored with and didn't bother to complete, I have yet to have the AI attempt to stop me from total victory. Not once. No matter how obvious it was that the game was about to end.

I play at the Emperor level most of the time. Recently started playing Immortal and picked off a cultural victory, of all victories, while the AI idly watched it happen.

HB

In fact I've had something similar with diplomacy victory : 3 turns before elections, IA buys a few of my allied city states (just enough to prevent me from winning) and instantly declares war on me to prevent me from buying them back. It asks for peace the turn after elections and if you accept, it does it again as soon as possible.
The good thing there is that I discovered a pretty nice way to prevent my human opponents from buying my CS the turn before the elections :) Global war ! Very diplomatic...
(I'm not a native english speaker, declare war on or declare war upon ?)

In fact I've had something similar with diplomacy victory : 3 turns before elections, IA buys a few of my allied city states (just enough to prevent me from winning) and instantly declares war on me to prevent me from buying them back. It asks for peace the turn after elections and if you accept, it does it again as soon as possible.
The good thing there is that I discovered a pretty nice way to prevent my human opponents from buying my CS the turn before the elections :) Global war ! Very diplomatic...
(I'm not a native english speaker, declare war on or declare war upon ?)

Good advice, and your English is very good!

Both variants (on or upon) are permissible in English in this example.

Top Bottom