Work in Progress - Conquests of Might and Magic III

Here is the Lava Terrain at this point... I still need to do some work on smoothing/blending the edges as well as adding some lava touches into it. Fits into Ares de Borg's beta terrain.

LavaTerrain.jpg

Edit: Unfortunately, I forgot exactly how the LM terrain worked, and that it cannot be used to create completely seperate terrains, but is tied into the the normal terrain. I can still use the Lava terrain for certain scenarios, but it would not be able to be used in an Epic game.

Tom

Here is the Lava Terrain at this point... I still need to do some work on smoothing/blending the edges as well as adding some lava touches into it. Fits into Ares de Borg's beta terrain.

View attachment 223567

Edit: Unfortunately, I forgot exactly how the LM terrain worked, and that it cannot be used to create completely seperate terrains, but is tied into the the normal terrain. I can still use the Lava terrain for certain scenarios, but it would not be able to be used in an Epic game.

Tom
I hope you're still adding some original C3C Volcanoes into that (smoothing together) !

:clap: Great job!

Very inspirational work.:)

After some work, I have developed a vastly superior method (which is much quicker as well, by many times) compared to the way I was previously doing recolours, which has allowed me to do units with civ-colors in a much better looking way. Now they won't be coming out somwhat pixelated and messy looking, but will keep their original good-looks. Here is a comparison.

The initial problem was due to the fact of the Civ-Colors involved in the palette, as I had a difficult time seperating them from the unit colors, but the new recolouration method allows me to quickly (and much more easily) seperate these, recolour the unit keeping the original nice unit animations in tact, and then do a simple palette merger of the civ colors for a tremendously much better looking end unit. I will likely write a recolouration tuturial in the near future, since I believe I have finally got it down to a science. With this new way of doing it, it should be fairly easy for anyone to do a very good looking recolour. The tuturial would be written for Adobe Photoshop, but other programs (such as GIMP,JASC) would have all the available features that are needed.

Crappy First version of Master Genie

Genie - Much Improved version - Download this here!

I will go back and re-upload the Efreet Sultan as well with a new better looking version probably later today (or tomorrow). I may also re-do the Pegasi.

Tom

Attachments

• GenieAttackImproved.gif
    GenieAttackImproved.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 6,604
Nice Golem family. Thanks.:thanx:

btw: Have you found my PM ?

Yes, I received your PM, and I think I replied yesterday. I was highly unsatisfied with the recolourings of units that had civ-colours, so after spending quite a bit of time, I came up with a much easier and better way of doing civ-colour units (as you can see above). The first one looks absolutely horrid compared to the latter, and the original Genie I did (a lighter version of the Master Genie) was horrendous. Now I will be able to make them look much better, and will post one of them for download either today or tomorrow (will try).

So for normal Earth Elementals, you're just going to use the unchanged-colours one?

Not sure yet, I will probably use Aaglo's Stone Elemental for the Earth Elementals. I think I've found the Cyclops I need, being Aaglo's Stone Giant, I can give it one eye instead of 2 :)

Tom

Yes, I received your PM, and I think I replied yesterday. I was highly unsatisfied with the recolourings of units that had civ-colours, so after spending quite a bit of time, I came up with a much easier and better way of doing civ-colour units (as you can see above). The first one looks absolutely horrid compared to the latter, and the original Genie I did (a lighter version of the Master Genie) was horrendous. Now I will be able to make them look much better, and will post one of them for download either today or tomorrow (will try).

Thank you ,Tom. Is it only me who think that a Djinn has to be blue ?:shake:

After some work, I have developed a vastly superior method (which is much quicker as well, by many times) compared to the way I was previously doing recolours, which has allowed me to do units with civ-colors in a much better looking way. Now they won't be coming out somwhat pixelated and messy looking, but will keep their original good-looks. Here is a comparison.

The initial problem was due to the fact of the Civ-Colors involved in the palette, as I had a difficult time seperating them from the unit colors, but the new recolouration method allows me to quickly (and much more easily) seperate these, recolour the unit keeping the original nice unit animations in tact, and then do a simple palette merger of the civ colors for a tremendously much better looking end unit. I will likely write a recolouration tuturial in the near future, since I believe I have finally got it down to a science. With this new way of doing it, it should be fairly easy for anyone to do a very good looking recolour. The tuturial would be written for Adobe Photoshop, but other programs (such as GIMP,JASC) would have all the available features that are needed.
That tutorial would be topmost appreciate by me.:) Vuldanon has already taught me:spank: a lot of things. But sadly he use PSP and I use Photoshop. So we have never talked about the same (features in our softwares).:blush: So having one tutorial for Photoshop:high5: has an very high "must-have" greed factor for me.:drool:
You should see my Units-recolor folder on my HD.:rotfl: (quite huge)

But there`s no need to hurry. I have a greater amount of to-do`s on my list.:coffee:

Your improved method of recouring certainly produces great results! You should definitely make that tutorial sometime. I for one would find it useful I'm sure.

I could possibly make a GIMP tuturial as well... I'm just not familiar with it whatsoever, but it's just a matter of finding the functions that do the same thing as Photoshop, and since the GIMP menu's have commonalities with Photoshop, it should not be overly time-consuming to make both. Of course, beyond that, I would not be very helpful in regard to GIMP specifics.

DFBATTLER said:
The Military Academies should be Taverns, where you build Heroes, not Armies.

Great idea... since after all that was the Tavern's purpose! :) You know, since each HOMM3 Civ had 2 different types of Heroes (Might Heroes and Magic Heroes), I could possibly create 2 types of Taverns, one which produces a Might oriented Hero, and 1 which produces a Magic oriented Hero. Then give the base army unit some slightly different stats to differentiate the 2.

The hero (army) limit in the game was set at 8, but since limit can only go by number of cities, I suppose there is no point to set any type of limit, since they won't be able to act in the same manner anyway.

General 666 said:
Thank you ,Tom. Is it only me who think that a Djinn has to be blue ?

I don't know... I just saw a copper colored Djinn on my way to work yesterday. :)
I'm glad you mentioned that, because I took another look at the Djinn, and that is exactly the color I need to get my Iron Golem.

General 666 said:
That tutorial would be topmost appreciate by me. Vuldanon has already taught me a lot of things. But sadly he use PSP and I use Photoshop. So we have never talked about the same (features in our softwares). So having one tutorial for Photoshop has an very high "must-have" greed factor for me.
You should see my Units-recolor folder on my HD. (quite huge)

But there`s no need to hurry. I have a greater amount of to-do`s on my list.

Vuldacon is quite a good graphic artist, perhaps he could add some ideas in the thread, or even an additional tuturial on how he goes about recolouring. There are for sure a vast amount of ways to do it, and some ways are probably better suited than others depending on the unit being done.

For instance, the new way I'm using now, is quite perplexing to do units if there are lots of colors that I don't want to necessarily change. Takes alot of palette mergers, saved files, must be done in correct orders, and a whole ton of clicks (my mouse is getting angry). Whereas doing a whole recolor of a no-civ unit takes about 8-10 mins, whole recolor of a civ-color unit takes 20-25 mins. More complicated ones can take hours.

Latest units:

Air Elemental (from Darque's Air Elemental) - Download this Here!
AirElemental.gifAirElemental_Lg.jpg
I will be using Darque's orginal Air Elemental as a Storm Elemental.

Magma Elemental (from Aaglo's Stone Elemental) - Download this Here!
MagmaElemental.gifMagmaElementalLarge.jpg

Tom

I could possibly make a GIMP tuturial as well... I'm just not familiar with it whatsoever, but it's just a matter of finding the functions that do the same thing as Photoshop, and since the GIMP menu's have commonalities with Photoshop, it should not be overly time-consuming to make both. Of course, beyond that, I would not be very helpful in regard to GIMP specifics.

If you just do a photoshop one I'll probably be able to figure out how to do it in GIMP. But if you can be bothered doing a GIMP tutorial as well that'd be great too!

Great idea... since after all that was the Tavern's purpose! :) You know, since each HOMM3 Civ had 2 different types of Heroes (Might Heroes and Magic Heroes), I could possibly create 2 types of Taverns, one which produces a Might oriented Hero, and 1 which produces a Magic oriented Hero. Then give the base army unit some slightly different stats to differentiate the 2.

What will armies be like? Same as normal civ, or the 1 unit carrying armies of MEM and elsewhere?

Newest units look great as usual!

Vuldacon is quite a good graphic artist, perhaps he could add some ideas in the thread, or even an additional tuturial on how he goes about recolouring. There are for sure a vast amount of ways to do it, and some ways are probably better suited than others depending on the unit being done.

You will find at least a part of our talk here:

Tutorial: Changing Colors in Existing Units
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=253651

Why not join the talk ?

Top Bottom