More Pantheon Beliefs!

The thing with Cult of Doomsday - I envisioned it would damage everything and everyone at war around that city. Including Defenders. Meaning it ought to draw battle/war away from the city. Tactically retreating behind the city has to be done carefully because one will take damage. It would be a highly mixed bag pantheon the way I am envisioning it.

Wowsers. That would seem more trouble than its worth!

@Naokaukodem - While I do agree that debating over minor bonuses isn't exactly the most exciting endeavor I can imagine, this is, in fact, a game. The relative impact of ideas, be they mundane or groundbreaking, are irrelevant. I just enjoy the free exchange of ideas/perspectives and value it's effect on helping me consider the game in a different light.

Wowsers. That would seem more trouble than its worth!
I'm thinking "Feed the Gods" is also more trouble than it's worth.

@Naokaukodem - While I do agree that debating over minor bonuses isn't exactly the most exciting endeavor I can imagine, this is, in fact, a game. The relative impact of ideas, be they mundane or groundbreaking, are irrelevant. I just enjoy the free exchange of ideas/perspectives and value it's effect on helping me consider the game in a different light.
I agree with you there; all of us would arguably be better off spending time on something other than a game, but this is much more enjoyable.

Anyway, more ideas:

Holy Relic: Receive a large sum of Faith (as opposed to a long term benefit)
God of the Wild: Unimproved tiles give +3 Faith
Spirits of Nature: +1 Faith for every 7 tiles under your control
Creation Myth: Receive Faith when you found a City
God of Creation: Tile improvement construction speed increased by 15%
Sacred Chants: X% Faith is also converted to Culture
Holy Inundation: +1 Culture and +1 Faith on Flood Plains and Marshes
Offerings to the Gods: +1 Faith for every 4 Citizens
Patron Gods: Cities produce +2 Faith
Divination: X% Faith is also converted to Science

I have to say - Imagining/Coming up with Religious Pantheons/Beliefs/etc is quite fun. We have already imagined Civilizations to death in the suggest a civilization thread - Which makes this one quite refreshing.

I'm thinking "Feed the Gods" is also more trouble than it's worth.
Yea it would really slow growth of cities by a ton. But I love how pantheons are right now that they can't be used in every situation or that they benefit certain tactics more. The way I envisioned this one is that it would be a mixed bag pantheon as well that would fit well in wider faith generating empires. If you are able to start a religion and spread that religion to other civilizations - then they also will suffer the same food penalties that you are. Basically poverty by association. Would work better in multiplayer and for civs with additional sources of food [Terrace Farms, Polders, additional resources like Deer/Bananas

Holy Relic: Receive a large sum of Faith (as opposed to a long term benefit) - I like this one - and as long as it scales on speed would be a good one in my opinion.
God of the Wild: Unimproved tiles give +3 Faith - I think this one is slightly too strong. +3 faith is a lot. Just being able to work an unimproved wheat/stone/marble/salt/horse/cattle tile would give it too much power in the early game in my opinion. Perhaps change it so that the +3 faith only effects tiles without improvements AND resources.
Sacred Chants: X% Faith is also converted to Culture - I love this, odds are it won't be much culture but it can be a good choice in sits
Divination: X% Faith is also converted to Science - I love this one too for similar reasons to Sacred Chants

God of the Wild: Unimproved tiles give +3 Faith - I think this one is slightly too strong. +3 faith is a lot. Just being able to work an unimproved wheat/stone/marble/salt/horse/cattle tile would give it too much power in the early game in my opinion. Perhaps change it so that the +3 faith only effects tiles without improvements AND resources.

Maybe +2 then? But that my intention. Eventually you will probably want to give up the bonus for the extra food/gold/production and the happiness or units. I wanted it to be powerful in the early game, but much less useful in the late game.

+2 Seems better in line then

---
Some more:

Astral Gods: Tiles next to mountains produce +1 science.
Sacred Lakes: +1 Faith and +1 food for tiles next to lakes/lakes.
Corners of the Gods: Combat bonus for fighting closer to the north pole/south pole and "eastern"/"western" transition points
Gods of the Winds: +1 Movement on water tiles

Holy Relic: Receive a large sum of Faith (as opposed to a long term benefit)
God of the Wild: Unimproved tiles give +3 Faith
Sacred Chants: X% Faith is also converted to Culture
Divination: X% Faith is also converted to Science

Hmm,

Holy Relic - Sounds interesting, I would almost want to change it to something similar to the Egyptian UB whereby each city you found gives a static +faith bonus and if you loose the city you loose faith. This could also be applied to other Civ's cities as well. People have been stealing relics from other people for quite some time...

God of the Wild: - Sounds way OP, maybe for 1 tile, if all surounding tiles are unimproved as well. Would mean that you'd probably loose the bonus by mid-game.

Spirits of Nature: - Sounds interesting, it would also highlight trying to expand your cultural borders as fast as possible. Angkor Wat(?) comes to mind.

-Dental

+2 Seems better in line then

---
Some more:

Astral Gods: Tiles next to mountains produce +1 science.
Sacred Lakes: +1 Faith and +1 food for tiles next to lakes/lakes.
Corners of the Gods: Combat bonus for fighting closer to the north pole/south pole and "eastern"/"western" transition points
Gods of the Winds: +1 Movement on water tiles

I love Astral Gods, and God of the Winds sounds awesome!

Corners of the Gods sound weird though (name, not the effect), maybe Corners of the World, Holy Quests or Sacred Compass (a la the ancient chinese)?

Yea "Sacred Compass" definitely sounds better.

Also was thinking more about the God of the Wild - +2 faith is def better than +3. Because one also has to account that it would work on Natural Wonders and that would get too close to the One with Nature Pantheon.
-----

Some More:

Cycles of the Earth: Every new Era you must switch pantheon effects with another Civilization's pantheon. Ancient Era Pantheon Effect: +1 faith per turn for empire.
Mercenaries of the Gods: When capturing cities with foreign pantheons, they may keep their effects even after your religion spreads to them
Goddess of Volcanoes: Mountains within the city radius may turn "volcanic" "razing" tile improvements. Afterwards tiles have additional +1 Food
Chinook Blessings: -1 movement in Tundra/Plains tiles. +1 Faith in tundra/plains tiles.
Will-o'-The-Wisp Worship: Killing a barbarian on a tile increases its yield by +1 faith.

Forgiveness: Clearing a Barbarian Camp grants a one-off bonus amount of food towards population growth for the nearest city. (Scales with Era.)

(The intent of this is that you're welcoming barbarians into your civilization.

Go Forth and Multiply: Settlers Built in adherent cities instantly spread their religion to any new cities they found.

Go forth and multiply sounds more like an enhancer belief, but this can always become a general religion thread

Top Bottom