[Speculation] Reintroducing Mali and the Zulus

In addition, while the Zulu's relevance to the bulk of African or world history is a bit debatable, they are quite relevant to the grab for Africa. I think they almost certainly will appear in a scenario, which means we'll probably see them in the main game.

Which was my point. They should only be in the scenario, where they belong. But unfortunately, because of popularity and nostalgia, they will likely include them in the main game.

Scenarios are often a springboard for new leader art. Unless there's a good substitute for the Zulu in leader art currently, I suspect it's the perfect opportunity to create it.

The whole picking of Shongai over Mali was a mistake that really showed Civ V's poor knowdegle of history, me thinks, but now the damage is done and it could hardly be reversed :/

I'm actually glad they picked Songhai. One of the reasons I enjoy Civ is the learning it provides me. I had fun looking into the Songhai, and being able to talk about who they are now makes me happy. That's all due to Civ.

But South Africa isn't a civ, it's a modern republic that represents several civs. As an entity it's existed almost no time at all. Using it to represent the Zulu but kind of not is nothing but a cop out.

I don't see it as a cop out, but a way to include the Zulu and yet let the developers do something different with them. I'd play a South Africa civ. I'd also play a Zulu one.

In any event, we badly need a southern African civilization in the game.

Completely disagree that the Zulus were "classic power to play as". Just because they were in previous versions, does not mean that have to be in this version as a core civ. Either make them a unique civ to play in the scenario (where it would fit) or make them a DLC.

The thing is that the Zulu are highly desired by the commuinity. They often win "who do you want as the next Civ?" polls on this site and others. They're a beloved (hate-loved) part of Civ's history. And they're historically interesting. Whatever their form, I'm looking forward to the Zulu's inclusion.

Zulu are the most desired traditional civ going. I hope they announce them at PAX.

If Zulu makes it, that will be my first game of BNW....... :c5razing:Zulu Nation!:c5razing:

I like the Zulu because they have more mobile infantry (which separates them from the horse-based early war civs). I've proposed before either having their UA be the ability to ignore Zones of Control, which would be quite fun to do even if it seems relatively simple at first. I've also suggested a "Bantu Migrant" UU that replaces Settler and is cheaper and faster. That combined with the inevitable Impi would make for a different experience.

But I'm mostly just spitballing ideas. Really the important thing is for them to play differently and I feel Firaxis is capable of doing that.

There is a confirmed African scenario, so the addition of a few African civs is pretty much a certainty. The Zulu are the most famous and well known do to their opposition against the British, and they are a civ classic, so I think its safe to say the Zulu are going to be added.

I would be surprised if they only add one new civ considering the scenario, so I suspect that Kongo will also be added to represent central Africa. And maybe a 3rd African civ as well.

So my guess is that out of the 9 new civs, 3 will be African, 2 European, 2 South American, 1 North American, and 1 from southeast Asia/Oceania region.

Top Bottom