The Sid Virgins Try Sid Again (settings TBD)

I see that you are calling for my join, and I feel honored. :D

Would you like to try my "sid fairness" idea? Especially, we are not going to take advantage from GLib ... unless we are so desperate. :crazyeye:

Maybe even more fair is to choose a civ without AA UU, like the "king of warmonger" (<= deity) China. :king:

And I like what Nad said:

"Another trend I've noticed, which was anathema a couple of years ago, is that SGs now seem to be starting with everyone rolling up maps and then taking the very best start based on food bonuses, fresh water etc. What happened to the old-fashioned ideal of playing the hand you're dealt?! I remember Random Deity Troublemaking, which I think was the closest SG ever (victory by half a turn), and that game was such fun because we were fighting against the odds the entire game as we took what we were dealt. So for any current SG players interested in my $0.02, take the first start."

Well, maybe it's too much for sid. But, we can restrict us by simplying saying there must be no cow in the nearby 20 tiles.

lurker's comment: Why dont you guys choose the Dutch?Those Swiss Mercenaries will sure come in handy... :p

Dutch is agr, which is too powerful. And sea is less useful for cont and pang.

How about this one. A pretty mediocre start of China, stand pangea, 70% water, sedentary barbarian. Met Japanese. Their warrior is attacked by barb and only 1 HP is left. Trade pottery and bronze working for masonry and warrior code. Then declare war! Too bad, our regular warrior dies vs. the 1 HP warrior. But anyway, after defeating ~ 20 jap warriors (good to have 10 shields walls), a heroic spear generates Kuang-Yin! Now he is killed by a lucky jap worrior, but we have bashed jap so much that it is willing to give us Edo or Tokyo for peace. :lol:

The "front" looks like this:

Attachments

• sid_fair_bc2850.JPG
    sid_fair_bc2850.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 433
Well, not exactly mean that this save is very likely to win. :D But anyway it is a strong opening strategy to consider, which is my $0.02.

Heroes said:
I see that you are calling for my join, and I feel honored. :D

Would you like to try my "sid fairness" idea? Especially, we are not going to take advantage from GLib ... unless we are so desperate. :crazyeye:

Maybe even more fair is to choose a civ without AA UU, like the "king of warmonger" (<= deity) China. :king:
Let's beat cheating sid first :D . Starting with alpha is good for getting close to republic.

Some mistakes we made last game (ok only one): Monarchy. This was stupid, mainly my idea.

Trying an average start sounds fun to me. But the only way how i can see it winnable is an archer rush. Build no granary, just barracks and then a stack of 10 archers and a couple of spears. Go for an AI capital (an ordianary city will get autorazed), capture it with the archer stack. Spears should be able to protect us against the 24 warriors counterattack. Make peace as soon as possible, take cities and techs for peace. After 20 turns repeat (or after 10 turns when borders of a new capital expand, but that will ruin reputation). I used this method in hof games and in gotm46, but with better units and in situations where i didn't have to care about reputation, so in this game it should be harder. We can join the worker after he builds some improvements to reach 10spt in the capital ASAP.

Well, I have seen too many times that people advise to start with alphabet at sid. Is sid only for com and sea civs? I don't think it's fair. Theoretically, every civ should have their own way (except exp, this trait becomes purely useless at sid, which is a problem of sid himself).
If we start with alpha and win, it would be "just another" win, replay of sth. I don't feel it's much interesting.
The 7+1 game is legendary in that they had an awful expansion and hang on to mordern era. Most advices are used to win by industrial age, but there should be spaces outside that.

Own said:
Let's beat cheating sid first :D . Starting with alpha is good for getting close to republic.

Some mistakes we made last game (ok only one): Monarchy. This was stupid, mainly my idea.

Emm, I guess monarchy in nero3 was not good enough ... it should be feudalism! :D
I'm serious. With your small number of cities and pop, you will find that republic earns less than monarchy, and even less than feudalism. That's why your economics was bankrupt even without research. Anothe benefit of feudalism is skipping an optional tech.

Own said:
Actually 7+1 expansion was very impressive, especially not being agri or ind. Ok, let's not start with alpha then. Expansionist isn't bad for the early contacts and trading. How about Aztecs (except they're agri), or Mongols or Zulu?

Exp cannot get settler or tech any more, which seems too unfair for me. I want "justice", not "with one hand behind back" ... :D

Obormot said:
Trying an average start sounds fun to me. But the only way how i can see it winnable is an archer rush. Build no granary, just barracks and then a stack of 10 archers and a couple of spears. Go for an AI capital (an ordianary city will get autorazed), capture it with the archer stack. Spears should be able to protect us against the 24 warriors counterattack. Make peace as soon as possible, take cities and techs for peace. After 20 turns repeat (or after 10 turns when borders of a new capital expand, but that will ruin reputation). I used this method in hof games and in gotm46, but with better units and in situations where i didn't have to care about reputation, so in this game it should be harder. We can join the worker after he builds some improvements to reach 10spt in the capital ASAP.

In the save I showed, a defensive early war could be very profitable. Build walls and settle on hill if possible, then wait to kill warriors and generate leader. After getting 4 cities, an army can be ordered to hit the warrior free civ again. With support of cats, archers and spears can go a long way. I guess it's much safer than pure archer rush, in that you rely less on RNG.

Own said:
Expansionist allows us to keep up in tech. A very valuable trait IMO.

How can that be? You must have sth to begin the trade, but pottery is just too cheap. The only sensible option is Inca, who has masonry and pottery (Let's forget Abe's super powerful F-15 :D ). Masonry is just a bit cheaper than alphabet. But it's a gamble, if you find many neighbors are ind, you are toast immediately.

Top Bottom