Advanced Governor automation options.

Nellis

Chieftain
Howdy Civ Fans !

I've had civ 4 since it's release but barely played it until resently. Now I'm playing my first huge game and I'm trying to extend my domination to the whole world .. but to do that I can't possibly hope to micro manage every single town I conquer, so I let the governor decide of what to build. But the moron keeps building artillery and other useless time consuming buildings when he'd be better off with granarys and librarys.

now I remember that in Civ 3 I could tell my governor exactly what kind of buildings to work on and what kind of units / buildings to never build. Is their any way I could do the same with my governor in Civ 4 ? I've looked everywhere I could think of but I couldn't find.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated, thankies in advance :)

There is an option for using a standard-template build queue, although I never use it. I prefer to manually control each choice every time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the build queue works is:
1) In any city, line up the items you want in your build queue. (i.e. first granary, then barracks, then library, etc.)
2) Hold the CTRL key while pressing a number key (CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc.). That saves the build queue under that hotkey combination.
3) In any other city screen, press the number of the queue you want to call up. That should call up the queue in that city.

I know that with 1.52 there was the problem that the build queue worked with buildings but not units. I'm not sure if that was fixed in 1.61.

If you want a city to always produce the same type of unit, hold down the ALT key when clicking on the unit you want produced. That city will then auto-build that unit repeatedly.

That wasnt the answer he aimed for.

Indeed, the automated gouvernor is much worse than in CIV3. You CANNOT say him what kind of build you want. He will build units almost always. I always disliked it and wondered how Firaxis could mess this so much. The queue system is full of bugs. It allows you to build units that you shoudnt be able to. So, until is fixed, it is a mess too.

What I do when managing a big empire: when the popup comes, I ENTER the city, hold down ALT, then make a list of buildings for that city in particular . I do same for others (each city its needs). In this way, the gouvernor is automated for a long time, but YOU ordered what to build. It is the better option IMO.

Well that is disapointing to say the least :( ...

I guess what you (Salamandre) propose is the best work around for the issue and I shall give it a try. Thank you two for your answers.

The Tyrant said:
There is an option for using a standard-template build queue, although I never use it. I prefer to manually control each choice every time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the build queue works is:
1) In any city, line up the items you want in your build queue. (i.e. first granary, then barracks, then library, etc.)
2) Hold the CTRL key while pressing a number key (CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc.). That saves the build queue under that hotkey combination.
3) In any other city screen, press the number of the queue you want to call up. That should call up the queue in that city.

I know that with 1.52 there was the problem that the build queue worked with buildings but not units. I'm not sure if that was fixed in 1.61.

If you want a city to always produce the same type of unit, hold down the ALT key when clicking on the unit you want produced. That city will then auto-build that unit repeatedly.

can you do that with civ 3?

Top Bottom