Naming Stuff Thread

fe3333au

Deity
Let's use this thread to discuss if and what we want to name stuff.

At the moment we have our capital and also a worker.

We already have the following suggestions for Capital and other cities
(in order of suggestions ... bolded were supported by others in the team)
>
The Chambers
The Chamber
The Arena
Forum
The Meeting Room
The Board Room
The Round Table
The Seagreen Chamber
Security Nexus
Flower Pot
The Human Hive

I'll chuck a couple more in ...
>
Genesis
Seed
Round Table

Regarding Workers ... in MIA we named them after the team members in order of joining ... any other ideas or do we even want to name the little pions?

I like the naming workers idea... I'll do my best to ensure my lilliput doesn't have to clear any jungles! :king:

Yes, naming the workers like that could be fun. My minime will connect only the finest luxuries :drool: and will never be joined to a city nor will be traded away into slavery!! :rolleyes:

Maybe after all it's not such a good idea :confused: :hmm:

Maybe some of us feel insulted if their alter egos are used for lower jobs. This might lead to a team's complete inability to do such jobs at all :shifty: :D

Bah, are y'afraid 'f gettin' yer 'ands dirty, eh? I'll clear those jungles, and marshes, and build a railroad throughout the empire 'fore breakfast! :p

You are talking (writing) quite a slang there behind the baltic sea, aren't you?!? :hmm:
I had always thought the Scandinavians are talking better Oxford English then the Oxford people do... :confused:
Okay, working class language I guess... :D

Nice to have someone on the team who's not afraid of walking down the dirty road... :p

I think it's a fine idea :) I will be glad to lend my name for the greater glory of The Council!

I hope this doesn't mean we can't have fewer workers than people on the team ;)

Hopefully your uniform of choice does not include suspenders and a bra :p

Me I'd like to have a pair of crisp clean overalls with sharp creases and not a smudge of dirt or sweat on them, not necessary to wear cos I'll handle the beach front jobs ;)

I'll be happy to toil in the fields, swing a pick in the hot sun, or anything else required.

It's a little silly, but I was a little proud to see that I was the first worker in our civ4 game.

We may as well also discuss possible systems for keeping track of other units, like warriors, curraghs, etc.

Something I've seen in the past:
each class of unit (warriors, eg) draws its name from a corresponding group (animals, gods, &c.)

I like to give my units division numbers and such simply for the realism, but it gets a bit hard to remember. :D

Hmmm.. Could you give an example? That might add a nice touch :)

If it's not too cumbersome, of course.

It is important to name units that tend to do lot of moving around, and workers. It makes the turn instructions simpler.

Also, not everyone here is able to open the save, so names allow the rest of us to follow along with the actions :)

I'm not in favour of numbering as a potential rival will see eg. Warrior 6 and know that there are at least 5 other units running around.

I'm not in favour of numbering as a potential rival will see eg. Warrior 6 and know that there are at least 5 other units running around.

While this is not especially creative, it might work to decieve our rivals about our strength - especially for us an idea to consider :old:.

Yet I also prefer more creative names. By doing so we could also decieve a bit by leaving out the most obvious choices like Robin Hood or Wilhelm Tell for archers that our rivals would assume us to name first... :crazyeye:
A nice side aspect of this would be some discussions on legends and myths when new names are suggested... :)

A nice side aspect of this would be some discussions on legends and myths when new names are suggested...

Indeed this was a really fascinating aspect of being a member of MIA in the last game. We were playing the Greeks, and we tried pretty hard to stick to that, for names of units and some locations. People posted lots of links to Classical History websites and the like. I like to think we all learned a bit.

Now we get to learn about Korea. I don't know much, but I know that there is still a bit of traditional anger at the Japanese. I can't imagine why :lol:

While this is not especially creative, it might work to decieve our rivals about our strength - especially for us an idea to consider :old:.

I love it.

Has anyone read the Daughter of the Empire series by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts? It's a fantasy series, but the setting is modelled after medieval Korea, and I've used the names from there when I've played my solo games as Korea. Not saying we should though, I like the idea of using Korean history and mythology for naming, I cherish the chance to learn something. :)

Excellent :)

Are the Empire books based on Korea? I had assumed Japan. I'm happy to use that as a source ;) We can characterize our opponents as Anasati or Minwanabi dogs ;)

We should probably do our own source research, though ;)

Top Bottom