Democracy Game Challenge #2 - Spoiler Thread

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
Please post all spoilers here.

First, thanks to dutchfire for posting this game. It was a totally different look for starting a Civ game.

First game I wasn't sure what lay ahead, so I tried taking most of the cities I encountered, thinking I might need to produce something to get to the goal. Didn't turn out that way and I dawdled in around 1550 BC.

Second game I decided to try to drive straight to the goal. This was working well (too well, sorry to say) when I made a mistake - I captured a city. Then thinking I had no real use for it, I let someone take it from me and then I lost. So, you can complete this with zero cities, but if you take one and lose it, you lose the game.

What's needed? I would say more advanced enemy units blocking the path. Spears and catapults are not worth worrying about, especially since the AI doesn't seem to know that the only thing that counts is killing Khan. Why not give the AI Cavalry or something so we need to plan very carefully to avoid or distract them?

I captured a city. Then thinking I had no real use for it, I let someone take it from me and then I lost. So, you can complete this with zero cities, but if you take one and lose it, you lose the game.

It works that way? I'll look into it. As you seem to be the only one who has played the game, it should be okay to make a new version, and make it a bit more difficult too.

I'm afraid the AI needs even more firepower to be anything more than a speed bump. Khan couldn't resist stopping to capture a few cities along the way and arrived in 1645BC. Taking the cities slowed him down a bit, but also probably lured forces in to retake them (I gave up several without fighting). There were samurai and macemen who made brief appearances and then settled in to enjoy life in town. They would occasionally venture out if something of mine was nearby, but they went back in after I moved on.

I'm afraid the AI needs even more firepower to be anything more than a speed bump. Khan couldn't resist stopping to capture a few cities along the way and arrived in 1645BC. Taking the cities slowed him down a bit, but also probably lured forces in to retake them (I gave up several without fighting). There were samurai and macemen who made brief appearances and then settled in to enjoy life in town. They would occasionally venture out if something of mine was nearby, but they went back in after I moved on.

I tried the game, and I lost the Khan unit by going directly to the NE with all units, straight for the target. So some slowing down is needed at the moment to be sure you win.
I must admit that I'm very disappointed by the AI's quality though.

Top Bottom