How about a list of Linux software?

Strider

In Retrospect
We have a list of "Free Computer software" stickied in this forum, but a lot of those are windows only versions. I believe their are quite a few of us who use linux here, so why not make a list of software for us? To start it off:

Multimedia:
Amarok - A basic music player
MPlayer Best movie player I've ever used.
VLC Media Player - Plays it all.
K3b, simply the best CD/DVD creator in Linux, AND Windows. Better than Nero, better than Roxio, just the best. Period.

Video, Audio, and Graphics Editing and Creation:
Blender - 3d graphics creator
The GIMP - The mildly famous picture/graphic editor
Ardour - Digital Audio editor / workstation

Productivity:
Open Office - Word, Presentation, Database, etc. productivity suite. A lot like Microsoft Office.
Kuake - A very useful drop-down console you can summon with a press of a key, just like the one in the game Quake.
WengoPhone - A VoIP program with webcam support (Skype for Linux doesn't have that).

Web browsers:
Firefox - The ever famous internet browser.

Desktop Publishing:
Scribus - Desktop Publishing (similar to Adobe Indesign)

Entertainment:
PAN Best newsreader I've ever used.
Irssi The best IRC client ever!

Kind of a small list, but hopefully it'll expand. I'll add more as I think of them. If you want to submit something. Please provide a link and short description of the software. I can't personally test everything that is suggested to provide a description of it ;). I'll add it to the first post as soon as possible.

Scribus - Desktop Publishing (similar to Adobe Indesign)

The list of free Linux software is VAST. Here's one:

Java

An even better reason to have this thread then ;). Helps to separate the bad from the good. Also could makes searching for exactly what your looking for easier.

PAN Best newsreader I've ever used.
MPlayer Best movie player I've ever used.
Irssi The best IRC client ever!

Maybe I'll add more favorites tomorrow.

Ok, I'll try to remember all the goodies I have on my linux comp:

Kuake - A very useful drop-down console you can summon with a press of a key, just like the one in the game Quake.

VLC Media Player - Plays it all.

WengoPhone - A VoIP program with webcam support (Skype for Linux doesn't have that).

BTW, Amarok is far from being just a basic player. You can do so many things with it. :D

Okay, updated the list.

Konqueror web browser file manager and more.

you can type fish:/anothercomputersaddress to do graphical drag and drop file management on you other computers, or servers too.

you can type audiocd:/ and Konqueror will automatically create mp3, ogg, cda, flac, and wav links that you can drag and drop.

Wait there's more! Right from the man page..

SoX is a command line program that can convert most popular audio files to most other popular audio file formats. It can
optionally change the audio sample data type and apply one or more sound effects to the file during this translation.

LAME is a program which can be used to create compressed audio files. (Lame ain't an MP3 encoder).

LAME is the standard.

Top Bottom