civilopedia please

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
Dear 2K,

Since we can't have the demo now until US release, can we have the civilopedia in early September for us to drool over until release?
Sincerely,
EP

Good idea. Seems reasonable, whadya say 2K?

Obviously, just include a massive caveat saying that all information is subject to change without notice and all that jazz.

Good idea!
The possibility to read Civilopedia in advance would be much appreciated. Then I could fully concentrate on playing after the release. :)

I think them releasing the Civilopedia isn't going to happen realistically.

Just a Sulla style walkthrough like what was done for cIV would be fine with me. Lots of screenshots and a discussion of strategy through an AAR would be awesome. :)

Won't happen. What would that leave for them to put into podcasts and community features? It's generally a better marketing to not reveal everything at once if you can avoid it.

Is it possible the Civilopedia can be launched outside of Civ5? I like to read through the stories and history and such but not when I am actually playing civ. Does that make sense? I will read up on how to use units etc when playing, but I like to read histories and story during downtime.

I would love to just have any kind of yet unkown information about the game, maybe 1 unit/building/anything a day (from civilopedia) like they did with the GDR and maybe even some talk about strategies or anything in that style would make me more when happy.

Perhaps an early release of the pdf manual would be possible. At least then we would have all of the tables for reference. I realize the manual is usually a late concern in the process, but seeing that it needs to be printed (assuming there will be a full, printed manual) it would need to be done early enough for production. They could even make it available right on the Steam store page for Civ V.

Won't happen. What would that leave for them to put into podcasts and community features? It's generally a better marketing to not reveal everything at once if you can avoid it.

What purpose would witholding information really serve for a game like this? It is not like there is a story or big secret that could be spoiled by releasing the information. (The Super Secret Unit... if it even exists... is not in the Civilopedia according to Firaxis, so that would not be revealed).

Anyway, releasing the civilopedia would allow us to plan for playing the game and begin planning out mods! They really have nothing to lose. IMO, since the Demo will not be released until the game is when they said previously that it would be out before, then they should compensate us by releasing information on a daily basis for all of September up until the release date. It would be easy to do!

You know what you kids these days need?

Patience.

What purpose would witholding information really serve for a game like this? It is not like there is a story or big secret that could be spoiled by releasing the information.

It's not about spoiling information, it's about maintaining hype and interest for as long as possible. Do you think they wait a week or more between podcasts and community features just for the heck of it? No, it's a marketing decision. If they released all of the information at once then interest would die down and wither as people stopped thinking about the game and stopped talking about it. That translates into fewer sales.

Imagine all the discourse we could have with the full load of information but no game to play. We could speculate the heck out of strategies left and right.

It's not about spoiling information, it's about maintaining hype and interest for as long as possible. Do you think they wait a week or more between podcasts and community features just for the heck of it? No, it's a marketing decision. If they released all of the information at once then interest would die down and wither as people stopped thinking about the game and stopped talking about it. That translates into fewer sales.

Somehow, I don't see the hardcore fans... the ones that would poor over the information, would forget about game. The casual fan would not likely poor over the information. The only way that people would be turned off after getting all of the information would be if it turned out that the game sucked.

I think the civ franchise is beyond the need to hype it's new release. There are enough hardcore fans to carry it, and it's always been a deep enough game to keep people excited about it until the next one comes out [hence why I was playing cIV this weekend]

I'd like to point out that Bioware "leaked" Dragon Age's ingame Codex files prior to release and it didn't hurt their sales a bit.

Top Bottom