Italy in BNW

How would you like Italy represented in BNW, if it were to be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christopher Columbus would still have been employed by the Spanish to claim half of the Americas.

That's very difficult to say. If not for Italy, Spain possibility would not have had the early dominance it got.

So? What does that have to with the Renaissance? And were talking about the states, not the land.

So? What does that have to with the Renaissance? And were talking about the states, not the land.

By the wording, it would seem that the land was being talked about. And while true it doesn't have a great deal to do with the Renaissance, it does have to do with Italy; which is the topic, after all.

Well, his was talking about the Renaissance. Quotes taken out of context are bad things.

And I was saying this thread's topic, which you seem to vale so highly, is about the states, not the land. I don't dispute Italy's land is valuable, but this is talking about the states in the land.

That's very difficult to say. If not for Italy, Spain possibility would not have had the early dominance it got.

The Fall of Constantinople had more to do with Portuguese and Spanish exploration west than Italy. The fact that Columbus was from Genoa has little to do with it. It was a matter of time before someone made the attempt west and it all had little to do with what was coming out of Italy. Whether or not there was a Renaissance in Italy doesn't matter because the mercantile nature of Genoa would exist either way, and Columbus wasn't a painter.

The calculations Columbus relied on, for example, were based on Greek and Arabic figures. Also, the fact he went to Portugal and Spain, as well as turn to England at one point for support, and not one of the Italian city-states should be evidence by the lack of influence of those city-states after the Fall of Constantinople.

The Fall of Constantinople had more to do with Portuguese and Spanish exploration west than Italy. The fact that Columbus was from Genoa has little to do with it. It was a matter of time before someone made the attempt west and it all had little to do with what was coming out of Italy.

The calculations Columbus relied on, for example, were based on Greek and Arabic figures.

Oh, no, I just meant that the Spanish were specifically authorised by the Papacy to colonise the Americas. I didn't even realise there was a consensus on where Columbus was born.

The fact that Spain had the economic and political will to fund his voyage didn't have anything to do with the renaissance either. They finally completed the reconquista that year and had plenty of war booty from Grenada to fund the trip. They also lost the source of luxuries that were being filtered through the Moors and the trans-Saharan/Arab sea trade routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom