Why is it so hard to get into a game

jergyl

Chieftain
I have been a mostly SP civ player....decided to check out the MP aspect of the game with the new expansion. The lobby is horrific, no chat, no nothing. As a new player to the multi scene it's just embarressing.

What do I do? I really have no friends that play this game so that option is closed to me.

The rooms are embarressing. Once one person joins and picks a civ they don't like...they quit. What the hell is going on...all I want is to try it out...can't even do that. Don't get me wrong I love the SP aspect of it but as a new person just trying out the MP...all I got to say is...WOW. I heard of No Quit groups and what not but they are invite only. How does one even get involved in that?

Really really put off the Multiplayer aspect of the game after tonight. Just wanted to try my civ skills against human opponents. Couldn't even get a game going. To be honest I did get one game where we made it a few turns, but all it was was trash talking and I eventually almost conquered one civ and I got kicked?!? What's up with that?

Not sure what to do?...love the game but the AI is so dumb sometimes would like to try against a human but that is seeming like a no go based off of tonight (and yes I have checked the MP forum about settings and such or the sequential double turn bug thing I keep reading about)

I don't want to sound like I am too harsh...up to this point just to get a casual MP game of Civ 5 Brave New World is incredibly frustrating. My only alternative it seems is to post on the forums that I lurk all the time for tips/tricks. Any sort of advice or help in getting a decent MP game going would be welcome.

I have all the DLC and the G&K Expansion as well as the new expansion.

It is sometimes hard to get a game although not as horrible as you make it out to be. I know many people including myself who get games every single day. There is a good number of people who talk trash, lag and leave games for no reason though but these are problems that occur in all games though due to people being jerks, immature, insecure etc... Most of the people who leave game lobbies do it because they were too stupid to read the title and don't have the DLC or didn't realize some setting was not to their liking. It usually takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get a good game launched.

There is a sticked thread in this sub-forum, about how to find MP games, and instructions on the CivPlayers and NQ Steam chats. Unfortunately yes, there is no built in chat lobby. And yes the built in games list is regional. But we can and do get around both of these limitations by using our chat rooms. So I personally invite you to join the CivPlayers chat. The links are in my Sig.

CS

I wouldn't join random games. I don't think it's usual to be able to play a full game that way.
If you can't find any friends to play it, I would rather use forums to find game partners.

By the way, recently players join my games even if I create them private, and I have to kick them. No idea why that's happening. maybe you are joining private games and that's why you get kicked.

I tried MP for the first time today- first game was a duel map and was over quickly, and the other player was helpful and polite even while dishing out a beating. the second game was going pretty well until someone DoW'd the host. Instead of quitting he kicked everyone. Is it not possible to save a MP game unless you're hosting?

Hi everyone,

Along with Canucks group there is No quitters. This is a worldwide civ group where games are formed privately via a steam chat room. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NO_QUITTERS
Just join the chat room someone is always there to help and answer any questions:)

Happy civing!!!

+1

I wanted to play civ MP so I joined NQ and played a bunch of games. It isn't perfect, things still go wrong but there really is so reason to join public games ever.

+1

I wanted to play civ MP so I joined NQ and played a bunch of games. It isn't perfect, things still go wrong but there really is so reason to join public games ever.

The NQ group is pretty good but to say that there is no reason to join public games ever is going way too far. Often no one in the channel responds to anything you say so you have to get a game going some where else. I found they tend to only be interested in FFA games.

Rather boring ones at that where no one is aloud to attack each other without getting ganged up on. Also, I have never seen NQ interested in playing teamers, duels or anything besides FFA's. NQ is mainly for causal FFA games that are long and drawn out.

We played 6 or 7 consecutive teamers in a row last night:p

I understand NQ is not for everyone. Thats no reason to slander others opinions of a fun civ game. To each their own right? NQ is for people who want a complete diplomatic ffa that is full of backstabbing and scheming. In order to play and fight with modern era units any civ game is going to take some time. NQ is great for the addicted like myself who can afford 6 hours for a fun game with no quitters.

Good luck gaming!!!!

We played 6 or 7 consecutive teamers in a row last night:p

I understand NQ is not for everyone. Thats no reason to slander others opinions of a fun civ game. To each their own right? NQ is for people who want a complete diplomatic ffa that is full of backstabbing and scheming. In order to play and fight with modern era units any civ game is going to take some time. NQ is great for the addicted like myself who can afford 6 hours for a fun game with no quitters.

Good luck gaming!!!!

I didn't consider my post to be a slander. Just stating that it's mainly for FFA's that are long. You basically stated the same thing. In the games I tried to play I was unable to do anything at all accept simcity because every attack was met with 2 - 3 other people ganging up on me and everyone demanding me to give back cities if I were lucky enough to take any. Even if the other person was the initial aggressor.

If you guys have been playing teamers I will definitely take a look and try to get into some. Those are much more to my liking than FFA's where your hands are tied for 5 hours.

Top Bottom