Best Mods you have ever played

Europa Barbarorum is a fantastic game and must have had insane amount of hours devoted to it during development. Probably the best modification for Rome: Total War. It puts Rome II to shame.

Third Age: Total War for M2 is also fantastic. Captured the essence of Middle-earth nicely with all types of units covered and nicely balanced with a wonderful map to play on.

Requiem is a great mod, however needs some tweaking, because most of the "features" such as bow disarmament (or any disarmament "feature") break the experience, and the damage threshold for either you and the enemy makes this game, to be blunt, completely and absolutely unplayable. However, once tweaked, then this game plays as it should, to make the game challenging and interesting.

Im considering modding my Skyrim and playing through it again. I have seen Requiem and think i might give it a shot. I am guessing though that you will need both expansion packs? I also think i will want to do the resolution and texture mods.

Oblivion is another game i would like to mod. It just seems so mind numbingly complicated. I keep putting it off as i reckon it will take a good 3 hours effort to get everything you want working correctly.

Another Civ 4 mod I did enjoy is a mod called IndieRevolutions, a revolutions mod where advisors are born within your cities and you can use those advisors for certain bonuses and can spread religion and culture faster. Though its just a simple rev mod, this mod is possibly the most stable rev mod I have played over the more complex rev mods out there.

Im considering modding my Skyrim and playing through it again. I have seen Requiem and think i might give it a shot. I am guessing though that you will need both expansion packs? I also think i will want to do the resolution and texture mods.

Oblivion is another game i would like to mod. It just seems so mind numbingly complicated. I keep putting it off as i reckon it will take a good 3 hours effort to get everything you want working correctly.

You can play Requiem without the DLC. There are official Requiem patches for the DLC, and for those you obviously will need the associated DLC. The current Dragonborn patch though is pretty controversial. Some people say it's essential because Dragonborn content is too easy for Requiem without it. Some people say it's too lore unfriendly/immersion breaking to use and that Dragonborn being a cakewalk is better than ruining the world with extraneous unnecessary . I happen to fall into the latter camp so I do not use the Requiem Dragonborn patch. That said, the author is releasing a complete rework of his Dragonborn patch tomorrow which he CLAIMS is much better, but I'll let other people test that out before I even think about using it.

And the reason Oblivion is so complicated to mod is because it is by far Bethesda's most unplayable broken game right out of the box. It's a freaking mess of boring art direction, terrible gameplay system design, and bad writing. Obviously the game that needs the most work to be good is going to be the most difficult/time consuming to fix.

Escape from Zombie Island 2.

So much fun to play. 15/10 would recommend.
Man, I'm still amazed how they overcame Civ3's lack of scriptable events. Been digging through it for inspiration ever since.

For C&C Generals Zero Hour:

ShockWave

What always got me about ZH was how the faction generals only changed one or two features, some for the worse. ShockWave overhauls their entire arsenals, making each a unique faction in one's own right. The mod is compatible with the campaigns (or at least seems so), and the Generals' Challenge has been expanded to cover all leaders, including the two unimplemented bosses. The only major complaint I've heard balance-wise is that artillery is generally OP.

Tiberian Dawn Redux

The original Command & Conquer in the SAGE Engine, re-implementing the construction yard system (although t'would be nice to see build ranges), and including the original campaign missions! A previous version even had the briefing videos which for some reason were cut in 1.4. Features widely expanded graphics that give it the shine of C&C3. It's been inactive for four years but the current build is stable.

Cold War Crisis

I don't think I've ever encountered a total conversion mod that lives up to the adjective as this does. CWC basically turns Generals into an RTS version of Operation Flashpoint. Units and buildings are ridiculously detailed and weapons are modelled realistically, meaning a handful of well-placed rocket troops can take out an Abrams tank. and the in-game AI has been recoded to something like a factor of 10. Now, this comes with a pretty hefty qualifier: gameplay is closer to RTT than RTS and approaches CoH-levels of micromanagement, without the benefit of an in-game pause key; aside from the engine it is an almost entirely different experience to Generals. Nonetheless, read on its own merits it's one of the most ambitious and polished packages I've ever come across.

Eastern Front for CoH1

All the fun of the Red Army, none of the political bull. And unlike CoH2, it's free and fully compatible with the original factions.

For Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge:

CannisRules (requires Terrain Expansion Pact)

A scope-simple but effective mod that adds new national units and gamemodes and rebalances the factions; I believe it's also compatible with the campaigns. After getting it I simply stopped playing the vanilla. The original site (which gave detailed info on the mod) is now dead, but it's straightforward enough that you don't need to re-learn the whole game.

Mental Omega

Billing itself as "Almost Perfect Yuri's Revenge", it also started out as a balancing mod but expanded into what amounts to the ShockWave treatment for YR, diversifying the existing factions and giving Yuri two new cells of his own. Version 3 introduces new campaign lines for all three sides that are considerably more challenging than the original.

You can play Requiem without the DLC. There are official Requiem patches for the DLC, and for those you obviously will need the associated DLC. The current Dragonborn patch though is pretty controversial. Some people say it's essential because Dragonborn content is too easy for Requiem without it. Some people say it's too lore unfriendly/immersion breaking to use and that Dragonborn being a cakewalk is better than ruining the world with extraneous unnecessary . I happen to fall into the latter camp so I do not use the Requiem Dragonborn patch. That said, the author is releasing a complete rework of his Dragonborn patch tomorrow which he CLAIMS is much better, but I'll let other people test that out before I even think about using it.

And the reason Oblivion is so complicated to mod is because it is by far Bethesda's most unplayable broken game right out of the box. It's a freaking mess of boring art direction, terrible gameplay system design, and bad writing. Obviously the game that needs the most work to be good is going to be the most difficult/time consuming to fix.

I decided to wait until i had all the DLC before i got Requiem. And since Quake con made the DLC cheaper, i got it then. Have to say im rather impressed. One of my main gripes with games like Skyrim and mass effect is that they are rather easy, so all those special powers you get, you never use because its so easy to kill things conventionally (mass effect 2 and 3 did a better job IMO). Requiem makes it vital that every small weapon you have in your arsenal is used to good effect. It also opens up some of the skill tree, now making it essential for you to spend perks in things like lockpicking, which before was a total waste.

I bemoan Bethesday though. It seems that every game they have ever put out to the PC has been awful. I also purchased fallout 3 in the recent quake con. My impressions so far is that its unplayable. It crashes all of the time. They should be fined IMO.

MineZ for Minecraft is pretty dang fun. Especially on Hardcore mode which makes it much more harder.

Man, I'm still amazed how they overcame Civ3's lack of scriptable events. Been digging through it for inspiration ever since.

IKR.

Although I sucked far too much to keep up with it as it got more competitive, the original Counter Strike, before it became a standalone game, was one hell of a mod.

Mental Omega

Billing itself as "Almost Perfect Yuri's Revenge", it also started out as a balancing mod but expanded into what amounts to the ShockWave treatment for YR, diversifying the existing factions and giving Yuri two new cells of his own. Version 3 introduces new campaign lines for all three sides that are considerably more challenging than the original.

A excellent mod! :D I enjoyed the excellent diversity in the sub-factions especially!

Speaking of C&C: there is Twisted Insurrection, a standalone modification of Tiberian Sun which takes place after a Nod victory in the original C&C. Includes improved sides, its own campaigns, works on cutscenes and its own music. Also: hover flame tanks.

There is also Dawn of the Tiberian Age which is a Tiberian Dawn focus using Tiberian Sun for its engine. Now includes the Soviets and Allies from Red Alert. Has a enhance mod for extra units.

I will speak of more mods later on.

Top Bottom