Beyond Sid

So, Bam. After competing in Beyond Sid, do ya feel like playin' a game like that again any time soon???

I think I may take a vacation from Civ 3 for awhile.

Bamspeedy, what would you say was the key to your victory? Keeping the AI isolated? Their habit of building vast numbers of units and allowing them to become obsolete? Or your tactic of combining vast numbers of defensive units with equally vast artillery power? That's not a strategy I have ever thought of before, but it seems almost godlike in its power if your game is anything to go by.

Keeping the AI isolated did play a major factor. Stopping them from trading luxuries with one another helps out ALOT, especially in regards to tech pace.

Artillery was also a major factor. The AI never has been able to compete against massive bombardment. There is an article in the War Academy (and the strategy articles forum) about using artillery on offense. I think it was written by Moonsinger.

I probably didn't need so many defensive units and could have built some offensive units in those stacks, but you never know how big of a SOD they will send at you on a level like this, and you don't want your cavs and knights defending against a SOD of 100+ units. Normally you want many more artillery than you have units, but on a level like this, you frequently would have too few units (there are units bombarded to 1-hp, but you just don't have any healthy units to attack with to finish them off).

Quick question though, do you think this game might actually have been (even ) more difficult if the AI wouldn't have been on a cost factor 1? Let's say on 3. ( because for example it would have had less chance of building obsolete units in the ancient era)

The number of ancient units they have around wouldn't affect things a whole lot in terms of combat, because even better units would not survive against massive bombardment, and they still wouldn't take down my SOD of defense/artillery. But, it would have slowed me down a bit, so I probably wouldn't have enough time to win before time expires. However, if they didn't have so many units, they could have probably done better in science because they wouldn't pay so much for unit support (and being forced to turn down science funding). I should have given them 200 free units/city to make it a real challenge.

If I played this game with Conquests instead of PTW, there are some things that would have made it harder, and some that would make it easier. I would use the Dutch. With suicide curraghs, I wouldn't need the Great Library. The Dutch UU is just as good, or better for this style of play (building massive defense units). Conquests doubles the max # of units allowed in the game, so that certainly would have given me problems. I might not have been able to land at all on some of those continents.

Congratulation
I may be wrong, but I think that your first target (Egypt) being the closest but also the strongest help you a bit.
By capturing Thebes, you got control of:
Pyramids
Great Wall
Sun Tzu's
Sistine
Copernicus
Smith's Trading Co.
Newton's
Js Bach's
If the strongest Civ was far away from you, I guess it would have been even harder.

Once again, congratulation and thank you for sharing that with us.

Very nice:goodjob:

Oh man you did it!
Congratulations :goodjob:

So what's next? Will we see Bamspeedy taking on sid on a tiny pangae? Because I think that's the only way to top this one...

Well, what would be cool is if you literally took on Sid. If you played Sid Meiers in a multiplayer game. Of course, this would probably not happen.

Sooo impressive. :goodjob:
Just nailbiting stuff.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Some final stats:

Golden Ages:
Iroquois 1894 AD (UU)

:lol:

Wait, don't they have the Mounted Warrior? How did they beat a unit in the late industrial-early modern ages?!

Originally posted by china444

:lol:

Wait, don't they have the Mounted Warrior? How did they beat a unit in the late industrial-early modern ages?!

The tech pace never got that far

It was pretty much just Rifles at the end.

Here's a question:

How would the game been affected if you were playing with Conquest

Congratulations on an impressive, exciting, nail-biting, over the top, pushing the limits, entertaining .... (the adjectives go on forever) ... game! :goodjob:

And a million thanks for the tip to never stack more than 50 galleons in one space. :lol: I'll live by that motto from now on.

Originally posted by Louis XXIV

The tech pace never got that far

It was pretty much just Rifles at the end.

Here's a question:

How would the game been affected if you were playing with Conquest

In conquests, there is lethal bombard.....

Good job, Bamspeedy! :goodjob:

Originally posted by vbraun
Congrats on such a great game you really creamed the AI :goodjob: :thumbsup:

Now try this on Conquests. :p

Conquests would have been easier because armys are much more powerful and if you have 30+ armys on the field, I will fell sorry for the enemy:p

Originally posted by Bobisback

Conquests would have been easier because armys are much more powerful and if you have 30+ armys on the field, I will fell sorry for the enemy:p

But they made the AI stronger remeber.

But they made the AI stronger remeber.

Yes, but I haven't really seen much talk about exactly what areas the AI is better in. Over at Apolyton there is a thread about improving the AI, that mentions this game. They talked about how the AI is improved in naval invasions (will unload more than just a lone obsolete unit). Well, even if that is better, it doens't help at all if you have an island blockade so they couldn't land any units anyways.

Like I said before, Conquests would have made this game easier in some areas, and harder in other areas.

Top Bottom