The Falkland Islands

Argentina have done it again, they have found ANOTHER way to sabotage there own goals:

Dispel any sympathy you might have with desecrating a monument to the fallen.

Added to the iternery of nonsensical nationalist statements from our Argentinean Hitler, unfair economic infractions etcetc:p

I can't wait till the day the Argentinan people throw this woman to the wolves.

Sinking pretty low isn't it? After all the fuss about replacing one ship with another and sending Wills there?

I do not know, but except for the war memorial bit I think it is quite funny. I can just imagine what they went through to make this, smuggling filming equipment onto the island, getting the visa ("yeah, I just want a holiday on the falklands, me an olimpic athlete and my camera man friend. Really, I am going there for the weather").

My, my, I'd have thought the next place UK troops were to be deployed was somewhere in the Near East from recent history.

There's a lot of places where we might use our armed forces in a conflict (and perhaps not just because the US think it's a good idea). The Falklands is hardly the most likely, however, and to suggest otherwise is either ignorant or (more likely) disingenuous.

And since when has The Sun been a reliable gauge of the motivations of the Argentinian government? I mean, there is a reasonable argument to have about what the underlying motives of the Argentinian government really are (and Tak has been as candid about that as anyone here), but I wouldn't bother referencing The Sun unless you're using that to support (to some extent) a view on what the UK's popular perspective is.

Unfortunately The Sun is the only newspaper! that is read by many people in the UK.
This headline which was seen by millions of voters in the UK today will influence people.
The stunt makes it harder for British politicians to engage in negotiations.
What politician wants to be accused of negotiating with people who "dance on war graves" for no benefit to themselves.

I have seen the video now and It took me a 2nd viewing to realise at what point he was stepping on the war monument. He is basically stepping on and off the ledge quickly, it's hard to judge the motivations from that scene alone but then you see the final words at the end:

"To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil."

With that, I think the stepping onto the war monument was definitely a calculated decison and not an accident. There are plenty of other ways you can do the same thing all over the island yet they chose that memorial.

from the BBC:

It was first offered to private companies, who preferred to stay away from the controversial video.

It was then brought to the attention of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, who bought it and broadcast it on Wednesday night.

our south american hitler is biting at poor poland once again. she probably thinks the the desecretion of a war monument was the best part :(

@Silurian - you support opening up negotiations with the Argentines over the soveriengty of the Falklands?

@Silurian - you support opening up negotiations with the Argentines over the soveriengty of the Falklands?

No.

Some of my friends from school were in the Navy and fought to recover the islands.

Unfortunately The Sun is the only newspaper! that is read by many people in the UK.
This headline which was seen by millions of voters in the UK today will influence people.
The stunt makes it harder for British politicians to engage in negotiations.
What politician wants to be accused of negotiating with people who "dance on war graves" for no benefit to themselves.

I don't think this makes any significant difference to the negotiations (or lack thereof). If any Argentinian government was hoping its actions might persuade The Sun to back their case, then they would have been hopelessly deluded. I doubt there's anything an Argentinian government could do which might get a positive reaction from The Sun (other than saying "oh, you were right all the time, Mr Murdoch, and we were wrong" of course.)

It's still an unhelpful and dumb move, I quite agree with that. But given how blinkered many UK attitudes are to this issue, this stunt isn't going to make any serious negotiations on the islands, their residents or their mineral rights any more or less likely.

I don't think this makes any significant difference to the negotiations (or lack thereof). If any Argentinian government was hoping its actions might persuade The Sun to back their case, then they would have been hopelessly deluded. I doubt there's anything an Argentinian government could do which might get a positive reaction from The Sun (other than saying "oh, you were right all the time, Mr Murdoch, and we were wrong" of course.)

It's still an unhelpful and dumb move, I quite agree with that. But given how blinkered many UK attitudes are to this issue, this stunt isn't going to make any serious negotiations on the islands, their residents or their mineral rights any more or less likely.

It may, however, contribute to stirring up Argentine gall over the Falklands issue, which makes an invasion more likely.

Stunts like this just push the possibility of negotiations further into the future.

The Sun reflects its readership. At some point in the future its readership may not care what happens and so the Sun will not put the reports of “Government negotiates with Argentina" on the front page. Whilst Argentina is doing things like this the Sun will report it and keep the war in people’s memories. If they stop pulling stunts, turning away cruse ships etc then there will be little to report and people will forget.

I didn't know Rupert Murdoch was such an important arm of British national policy. Then again, I sort of knew.

Rupert Murdoch controls the Sun which has a readership of 7 to 8 million.
This has given him a fair bit of influence.:sad:

It may, however, contribute to stirring up Argentine gall over the Falklands issue, which makes an invasion more likely.

I honestly think you're kidding yourself as regards a possible invasion. Or perhaps it suits your stance to talk up the possibility of an invasion. :crazyeye: In any case, I agree it's stupid and unhelpful, but so is The Sun's response.

Whilst Argentina is doing things like this the Sun will report it and keep the war in people’s memories. If they stop pulling stunts, turning away cruse ships etc then there will be little to report and people will forget.

Actually, I doubt if Imperialman and Quackers would allow anyone to forget it... More broadly, I really doubt that there is any prospect for the UK taking part in serious negotiations for a good while. People largely forgot about the Falklands for 20 years from 1990 or so, but it doesn't stop there still being very strong feelings about it now - as soon as it resurfaces, the BBC and The Sun will rally public opinion to the national cause just as they always have in these cases where a remote location is still deemed to be British (oh, except for Hong Kong, when they were told to shut up).

Actually, I doubt if Imperialman and Quackers would allow anyone to forget it... More broadly, I really doubt that there is any prospect for the UK taking part in serious negotiations for a good while. People largely forgot about the Falklands for 20 years from 1990 or so, but it doesn't stop there still being very strong feelings about it now - as soon as it resurfaces, the BBC and The Sun will rally public opinion to the national cause just as they always have in these cases where a remote location is still deemed to be British (oh, except for Hong Kong, when they were told to shut up).

Wasn't HK a 99 year lease?

Top Bottom