Imagine space empires?

RaPiiD38

Chieftain
Hey guys

I just had a cool idea (completely impossible but still fun to dream about) imagine getting to the space stage building the space ship and then looking for a habitable planet, colonizing the new planet and then going back and going all out war with everybody on the old planet, uh oh your war has failed and now everyone else has spaceships and they're mad as fudge they're coming to get you they go planet to planet pillaging and growing much much stronger your only hope is when you click that next turn button you don't see those Russian mechs beam down but wait that's not your only problem, some alien barbarians have just crossed into your borders, you try to fight them off with your tanks but it's not good enough (they have RAY GUNS) so you nuke your second to last city in the desperate hope that you can hold out until you build another space ship, your production is dwindling, enemy forces are invading so you run you buy a settler with what little cash you have left and you run, fortunately you see some ruins in the distance you make a bee hive for them and you find another space ship and some advanced death ray tech so you embark with your settlers, raze your last city and go... will you be back and finish what you started?

Ahhh maybe next gen, one can only wish.

If things were getting that silly, I'd want to be able to found under-sea cities and flying/ orbital cities.

As silly as giant death robots, x-com squads and Aztecs ruling the world in the industrial era?

Dude common games are fun not historically accurate/sci fi accurate slideshows.

Also Anno 2070 lets you found underwater bases (it's basically real time civ with focus on resources if you didn't know)

Yeah, I'd like to put cities on other planets, but like you guys said, that guys said, that's kinda leaving civ an entering other games :p
Also, Anno 2070 is Awesome, and you should check it out, great graphics and music (although the combat can go a bit boring at times)

If things were getting that silly, I'd want to be able to found under-sea cities and flying/ orbital cities.

There is already a mod (Ingame Editor) that allows you to make underwater cities, but that mod is not a real game but rather fills the function of the Civ IV World Builder; it's most often used for testing other mods that are intended to add more to actual gameplay. However, underwater cities are still a possibility, and could probably be implemented relatively easily in Lua.

Regarding orbital cities and space empires, I would like to see that myself, and to me that would represent the true meaning of Civilization. However, somebody needs to achieve multiple maps in Civilization V in order for that to become a reality, not to mention the fact that the diplo screen would need a complete rework in order to account for the different civilizations from each map; in addition, a viewport addition would also be necessary in order to improve computational performance. But yes, it's definitely possible in theory to do that as well. It's been done with Civ IV's Caveman 2 Cosmos mod, and we hope to do it with Civ V's Community Call to Power once the current code for it is cleaned up and gameplay is balanced.

Regarding orbital cities and space empires, I would like to see that myself, and to me that would represent the true meaning of Civilization.
Yes exactly :D
Also that was what spore tried to market itself as before release (a galactic empire kind of game) but it really wasn't, I doubt a mod could do it but if it could then I would throw lots of money at it I just hope Firaxis make another one and add this to an extent maybe just as an easter egg if you complete space age you can explore a strange alien world :D

Edit: Oh I'm such a derp I didn't even realize you were a modder, dude if you can do this I will love you forever and give you lots of money and brush your hair :D

Yes exactly :D
Also that was what spore tried to market itself as before release (a galactic empire kind of game) but it really wasn't, I doubt a mod could do it but if it could then I would throw lots of money at it I just hope Firaxis make another one and add this to an extent maybe just as an easter egg if you complete space age you can explore a strange alien world :D

Edit: Oh I'm such a derp I didn't even realize you were a modder, dude if you can do this I will love you forever and give you lots of money and brush your hair :D

I'm not a "good" modder; everything keeps failing on me, and there's probably only some small error that's preventing me. I can't do much in the way of "real" modding (UI, DLL) yet, but I know people who can.

As silly as giant death robots, x-com squads and Aztecs ruling the world in the industrial era?

Dude common games are fun not historically accurate/sci fi accurate slideshows.

Also Anno 2070 lets you found underwater bases (it's basically real time civ with focus on resources if you didn't know)

Sometimes I like to just step back from a Civ game and see what wonky history has emerged.

Like my current game with mods when me as the Muiscan Federation, a deeply religious and rich power isolated on a large island till the late renaissance crossed the sea slightly to the west to stem Japanese imperialism against Indonesia, shortly after Japan conquered China.

The only outside influence until the Renaissance was from Polynesian explorers.

Underseas cities would be a interesting extension but that would be best for either mod packs or an expansion pack for a future world. I'm sure it would be a ton of extra programming work.

I think that doing anything in outer space would make it too big and complex to manage it.

Underseas cities would be a interesting extension but that would be best for either mod packs or an expansion pack for a future world. I'm sure it would be a ton of extra programming work.

I think that doing anything in outer space would make it too big and complex to manage it.

No and no. First, undersea cities can be constructed with relative ease in Lua; multiple maps, required for outer-space work, would be difficult to create, but the mechanism for making them may allow for a reduced use of memory.

Top Bottom