Serious problem!!!!!

HerrKops

Chieftain
Hi guys, serious problem here, my Civ5 became unplayable. In the pictures you will see what happens when i try to play a singplayer or multipayer game: the right hand side of my civ starting screen is black - when the game starts parts of the UI are gone so when i select a unit the box with the orders is not there - i hotkeyed the settler to found a city but when i click "choose production" i cant choose anything.

I have had this problem before, when i tried to load a modded game (community patch) while my mods were not enabled. Now, however, the problem occurs in Vanilla Civ. This is what i already tried:

- I rolled back from windows 10 to 8, because i read some people had problems with windows 10 and Civ5.
- I then completely removed the game, redownloaded, installed.

So my game is fresh now, no mods, nothing and still i get this problem. I would appreciate any help because i was playing for 120 hours without any problem and all of a sudden this happens.

Cheers!

This is kind of a long shot. But try clearing the Civ 5 cache. The game may have removed the cache when you uninstalled it. But just it case it didn't. It's worth a try.

I've found from experience that it's best to try clearing the cache first whenever I have a problem with Civ 5. It's easy to do. And it has fixed numerous problems thru the years for me.

Clear the Civ 5 cache:
1. Make sure you exit Civ 5.
2. Find the Civ 5 cache folder. It's location might vary slightly depending on what operating system you have. Mine is located at: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache".
3. Delete the cache folder.
4. Restart Civ 5 and load the mod in the usual fashion. Civ 5 will automatically recreate the cache when the game starts.

If you have a windows machine, navigate to here in your browser and double-check you do not have any left-over 'fake dlc' such as EUI or a EUI-like component from using the CBP version of EUI:
Spoiler :
You should only see folders shown in the screencap. If there are any other folders at that location besides the ones shown, they probably should be moved elsewhere or deleted, as they are not Firaxis created DLC, and are likely the cause of the problem. Before you move or delete them, however, list the folder name or post a screencap of your version of the pictured directory because while I believe I have all the Firaxis-created DLC for Civ5, it is possible there might be a map DLC I don't have. I want a double-check from other Forum members whether any questionable DLC folders you have are real Firaxis-created ones or ones from EUI, CBP, Multi-player Work-Arounds, and the like before you go deleting stuff and only make matters worse or are forced to make a re-reinstall becuase 'oops' with deleting or removing the wrong folder from the DLC directory.

Bear in mind that I have a Win8.1 machine so my folder location might be slightly different than yours as to where the Steam Folder is located.

Attachments

• Standard_DLC.jpg
    Standard_DLC.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 496
You're missing DLC_SP_Maps_2 and DLC_SP_Maps_3

But you can actually delete everything in that sub-directory, just so long as you then "verify the local cached files" via Steam - as that'll download the missing sub-dirs and files

You're missing DLC_SP_Maps_2 and DLC_SP_Maps_3

But you can actually delete everything in that sub-directory, just so long as you then "verify the local cached files" via Steam - as that'll download the missing sub-dirs and files

those two are DLCs so not everyone will have them just fyi :p

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support

those two are DLCs so not everyone will have them just fyi :p
William was referring to my screencap, and where I was asking if there were other DLC folders that would be 'legit' so far as being those available from Firaxis. Anything besides those shown in my spoiler image and DLC_SP_Maps_2 and DLC_SP_Maps_3 should be removed from the DLC folder to ensure that a corrupted or conflicting set of 'fake-DLC' mods is not causing the problem OP is having.

These sorts of threads seem to be popping up all over the net (Reddit, Steam Workshop discussions, etc.) and there is almost always a reference by the original poster that mentions CP/CBP and/or EUI, and EUI and/or InfoAddict as a 'fake' DLC, or NQmod as a fake DLC, or one of the other multiplayer workarounds as a fake DLC. Uninstalling the game and re-installing does not seem to cure the problem, most likely because the uninstall is not removing the fake DLC from the DLC folder (and therefore the uninstall process does not delete the DLC folder), so when re-install is performed the same file-structure remains as before the uninstall was performed.

Top Bottom