TSG100 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG100 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did the Score goal ultimately affect your strategy?
- Did Portugal's unique traits contribute to your score strategy? If so, how?
- Did the amount of turns prove useful at Deity? Enough or not enough?
- Did you enjoy this new strategic goal? If yes or no, feel free to say why.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 100
Date submitted: 2014-12-17 21:31:10
Reference number: 32063
Your name: Sempronius
Game status: Time Loss
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Base score: 580
Final score: 580
Time played: 19:33:00
Submitted save: Maria I_0250 AD-1700.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sempronius_C510001.Civ5Save

A fairly low score, but I still enjoyed the game.

I used the Naus to stock up some cash, which I then used on buildings or units if needed. I also ended up with several wonders, but not enough to win. I played peacefully and never fought a war. At one point Gustav told me that Songhai was on the march, so I bribed Sweden, Egypt and the Shoshone to attack them. Egypt was still at war when the game ended over 100 turns later.

The timed games are interesting, but I think they really only have two victory paths, Wonder spam or conquest. It was fun though, even if a loss. Looking forward to game 101.

Date submitted: 2014-12-22 09:42:18
Reference number: 32086
Your name: RyAnne
Base score: 1810
Final score: 1810
Time played: 21:27:00
Submitted save: TSG100_Ryanne_250_FINAL.Civ5Save
Renamed file: RyAnne_C510001.Civ5Save

Pretty fun game! Unfortunately my game crashed twice, once around turn 5-10 and again around turn 240. Luckily I only had to replay a few turns each time. Granted, the initial crash allowed me to restart after scouting for a few turns, providing me a slight advantage.

I managed to conquer Songhai and almost all of Egypt (Ramses maintained control of London). I lacked a solid strategy in the early-mid game. I basically started an early war with Songhai after he settled Jenne right near my capitol. This long war with Songhai allowed me to steal 3 (or was it 4?) workers. The remainder of the game I focused on growth and culture until around turn 225 when I decided I should try and finish off Songhai and start warring with Egypt. I lead in Tech at the end but with all the warring it was looking like Shoshone were catching up fast (they also outscored me).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Pretty fun game! Unfortunately my game crashed twice, once around turn 5-10 and again around turn 240. Luckily I only had to replay a few turns each time. Granted, the initial crash allowed me to restart after scouting for a few turns, providing me a slight advantage.

Welcome to CFC and to GotM!

To avoid this in future GotMs, please set your autosaves to every turn. We do not allow replaying of multiple turns, even for crashes. And when you reload the lost turn, please play it as closely to how you initially played it. Crash reloads aren't meant to allow improved decision making based on previous outcomes.

Thanks for playing and I'm glad you enjoyed this GotM! Good luck in the future games.

HR

Date submitted: 2014-12-24 16:42:31
Reference number: 32094
Your name: Acken
Game status: Time Victory
Base score: 3212
Final score: 3212
Time played: 7:50:00
Submitted save: TSG100_win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C510001.Civ5Save

As a side note I consider that GotM to be quite a challenge (compared to the usual), people that usually don't play Deity should not feel bad for failing that one. While the start is very strong the surroundings are unattractive, you're squeezed between two piety AI negating your religion. And then there is a time limit of only 250 turns, on Deity this basically means that this translate to a domination victory with a 250turns limit.

I wrote opener and ending both in a .txt as I was playing it so I'll just put it entirely there.

Techs: Pottery, Mining, Writing, AH, Sailing, Calendar, Philosophy, Masonry

Turn0:
I go west with warrior and reveal additional salts. After some consideration I decide to settle west to get those 2 salts and less snow.
I lose one ivory and a deer but maybe a good city can emerge there.

We immediately start on a monument, this is small continent and deity. North looks tundra/snow too. So I doubt I can get more than a couple ruin. I'll make one single scout after for maybe a worker steal on a CS.

I get Archery in a ruin and find Askia. Warrior will patrol there to grab a possible worker.

After Pottery I start on a Shrine and then a Granary.

Turn17:
Spoiler :

An opportunity finally presents itself after a good number of turns, and a good one at that. I try to capture both (plains worker then the one on the hill). With some luck the AI will mess its pathfinding and not get the free worker. The thing is that the AI has a tendency to always put an archer like this in garrison as soon as it perceives danger. And the warrior being blocked by the archer there is a chance the AI will screw this up.
And luckily for me this is exactly what happens and I bring these 2 slaves home.

Our capital is a monster so I open tradition. After Mining I go directly for writing. Only the south spot seems like a good city. I have two possible spot in the east but they are kinda weak. So I'll go 2 city NC.
At size 3 I start on a settler.

Turn21:
I grab a cahokian worker and immediately make peace so that I can bring it back
I meet Ramsess and Liz

Turn25:
Spoiler :

I see a good worker steal opportunity steal from Liz, may lose the scout. The Ai really cant move and shoot... so I don't lose my scout, he lives with 15hp.

Turn31:
Peace with Liz and a 240G sell of my salt in the peace treaty
Capital builds a granary next and then Library

Turn35:
Porto is founded, I make a mistake here I start on a granary for 4 turns but I should just buy it. I switch to a library.
Capital makes an archer and then cargo

Turn44:
Earth mother Pantheon

Turn56:
I'm a little late due to the detour with Sailing so I make a settler for 4 turns.

Turn70:
NC built Braga founded east
Turn72:
Religion founded, not much left I go for tithe and religious community. Anyway I'm between 2 piety civs so only my capital will really use it.
The next turn elizabeth is completely wiped by egypt, with Askia not wanting peace I'm left with very little trade options...

Turn82:
Oracle built, finished Tradition, will open Exploration later on.
Someone reaches Renaissance at turn 90 O_O

Turn95:
Finish the national epic, I give a shot for a 9 turns Chiche Itza

Turn100:
Spoiler :

Finish Hanging gardens in Porto, it seems that nobody went tradition. Askia Looks agressive.

Turn104:
Askia Dows and I finish Chichen Itza

Turn106:
Golden Age

Turn110:
I meet Pocatello and he already has Navigation O_O (met him with his privateer). Maybe I'll steal it from him.

Turn126:
Reach Navigation

Turn133:
Spoiler :

Tombouctou falls and Secularism researched

Turn149:
Spoiler :

Gao falls (1 wonder), Egypt capital is too tough to take so I go west towards shoshone and the other two.

Turn158:
Spoiler :

Moson Kahni falls (7wonders) (I'll have to recapture it on turn 162) I'll settle for peace with him since I could get 2500gold.
I also reach scientific theory around turn 160

Turn168:
Reached modern era, choose Autocracy as the warmongering is far from over

Turn170:
Edinburgh falls 3 wonders, but the war is long and the city recaptured 3 times.

Turn186:
Win world fair with 1500 vs 500 for the second...

Turn198:
Spoiler :

I capture Wittenberg because there is fountain of youth there

Turn206:
I reach Electronics but get Dowed by both Ramsess and Pocatello and I lose Moson Kahni for now, I'll get it back turn 223
Later on Boudicca will also DoW so I'm in a massive war.

Turn214:
Spoiler :

Stockholm falls (7 wonders)

Turn229:
Spoiler :

Thebes falls (1 wonder)

Turn234:
Te-Moak falls (5 wonders)

Turn239:
Rabat falls (1 wonder)

Turn243
Spoiler :

Marrakesh falls (1 wonder) only Truro from celts and a Shoshone city are left with a wonder each

Turn244:
Truro falls (1wonder)

Turn250:
Spoiler :

Score win with 3212 and 37 wonders

Wow, amazing game by Acken. Thanks for the write-up, it is very educational.

I only got a score of 949... But I had a fun game! Founded three cities, and had three puppets (two from Songhai, one from Sweden).

- How did the Score goal ultimately affect your strategy?
I tried to create a puppet empire, thinking that land and population were the most important contributors to score.

- Did Porugal's unique traits contribute to your score strategy? If so, how?
In a sense, this map was good for naval warfare, so that aligns well with some of Portugal's traits.

- Did the amount of turns prove useful at Deity? Enough or not enough?
I think it was just about the right amount. Acken showed a win is possible in 250 turns.

- Did you enjoy this new strategic goal? If yes or no, feel free to say why.
Yes, mainly because it is different. I like all games to have a high uniqueness.

I lost nice and early.

Good call mods on Askia...I remembered his UA when I targeted his first sea troop and swore mightily before quitting with a chuckle.

Date submitted: 2015-01-04 18:01:21
Reference number: 32143
Your name: Morcar_olmig
Base score: 1174
Final score: 1174
Time played: 12:17:00
Submitted save: Maria I_0250 AD-1700.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Morcar_olmig_C510001.Civ5Save

This was my first Deity game ever. Although I'm quite satisfied with the result - now i see that i could have done everything better (now i'm not that skilled at stealing workers, particulary from AI).Below is my final turn:

Spoiler :

Citadels were very useful for me in this game - i used them to first hold off early Songhai's attacks and then to support my attack inside the Songhai's territory. I ended up with two English and 3 Songhai cities and used mostly "Frigates bombarding cities" tactics what works quite well with this kind of map. Have learned a lot during this GOTM.

BTW:

Acken
RyAnne

Guys, you seem to use some kind of UI mod, which is looking quite nice and informative. Is it allowed/official GOTM mod or is it something else?

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Guys, you seem to use some kind of UI mod, which is looking quite nice and informative. Is it allowed/official GOTM mod or is it something else?
We do not allow any mods in GOTM. The Mod they are using popped up a while ago and does not affect game play, only enhancing the UI. We have looked the other way when players have used it but it really isn't supposed to be used. It is your choice whether to use it or not, at least until we are able to develop something to replace it.

Best of luck in future. :thumbsup:

This was my first Deity game ever. Although I'm quite satisfied with the result - now i see that i could have done everything better (now i'm not that skilled at stealing workers, particulary from AI).Below is my final turn:

Spoiler :

Citadels were very useful for me in this game - i used them to first hold off early Songhai's attacks and then to support my attack inside the Songhai's territory. I ended up with two English and 3 Songhai cities and used mostly "Frigates bombarding cities" tactics what works quite well with this kind of map. Have learned a lot during this GOTM.

BTW:

Acken
RyAnne

The "mod" is called Enhanced user interface and is available on civfanatics. It changes the UI and does not alter the game and save games. Everything shown by the UI is available in the normal game in one menu or another or through the use of a calculator. Personally I don't enjoy opening the diplomacy menu every turn or having to get my calculator just to know in how many turns I'll get a new policy. Therefore the mod is a must have for me as it makes gameplay a lot smoother.

It's not official and is in a gray area when it comes to Gotm/HoF. The staff de facto allows it currently.

Unfortunately my saves somehow get corrupted; game keep crashing every two, three turns; lag between turns last about five minutes - not possible to finish. :(

Shame as from screenshots I can predict I would beat Acken (more science, gpt,etc). Also in few turns I will upgrade my over a dozen frigates to battleships - gg :)
Main difference between our games I chose order in my opinion in score victory happiness is the most important factor.

This GOTM however gave my interesting idea for my next deity challenge - clearing whole map (including CSs) sub 200T. I don't have so much experience with domination not sure if it's challenging enough - any thoughts?

Attachments

• T203.jpg
    T203.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 93
Yes, after Gao, Egypt already conquered England and one CS, I allied all three remaining CSs on this continent what divided his forces and made capital without almost any defenders(conquered with XBs and frigates), I lost many units but it was worth - got inland city with 22 pops in peace treaty :)

This was a very learning game for me.

First attempt - got overrun by Askia on T70 after a failed worker steal.

Next runs - on my second attempt I managed to steal a worker from him on T5 succesfully. I reloaded several times to try different path and learned a lot.

Settled 3 cities - Lisbon in place, Porto South and Braga E next to the mountain.

Destroyed Askia with frigates, then england as well. They fought a war with celts, so their navy was out in the open and I destroyed it easily. Then it was easy. I then took out sweden almost completely, which boosted my to score 1848 in the final turn. Shoshone won with 112 more score. They settled everything.

I was getting a only a bit behind Acken to about T160, but my science was very much behind him on his next screnshot on T198. I was around 400bpt. I wonder what the difference was.

Also my military was smaller, what caused my slower wars. But I had only 6 iron initially, so I could not expand frigates. Egypt was my friend all game, I was selling 3 lux for cash to them all the time. They kept asking for research agreements past T220 :blush:

Only one more day for submissions! Thanks for the write-ups and efforts, everyone.

This was a very learning game for me.

First attempt - got overrun by Askia on T70 after a failed worker steal.

Next runs - on my second attempt I managed to steal a worker from him on T5 succesfully. I reloaded several times to try different path and learned a lot.

Settled 3 cities - Lisbon in place, Porto South and Braga E next to the mountain.

Destroyed Askia with frigates, then england as well. They fought a war with celts, so their navy was out in the open and I destroyed it easily. Then it was easy. I then took out sweden almost completely, which boosted my to score 1848 in the final turn. Shoshone won with 112 more score. They settled everything.

I was getting a only a bit behind Acken to about T160, but my science was very much behind him on his next screnshot on T198. I was around 400bpt. I wonder what the difference was.

Also my military was smaller, what caused my slower wars. But I had only 6 iron initially, so I could not expand frigates. Egypt was my friend all game, I was selling 3 lux for cash to them all the time. They kept asking for research agreements past T220 :blush:

Between T160 and T198 I have added some schools and captured extra cities

Between T160 and T198 I have added some schools and captured extra cities

I have done basically the same, but you have taken more cities. Did you pupeted all, or annexed some? I puppeted everything and controloed only my initial 3 cities.

The lesson for the future is to build bigger army, so that I could be more brave in wars.

I preffer to annex, it allows better control. Courthouses are cheap buildings (100hammers) and if you go autocracy you get +3 per courthouse and double production.

Puppet are usually terrible, making walls and market while running on low production... It's always worth it to annex asap (after resistance) if you can tank the unhappiness for 10ish turn for the time it takes to make a courthouse. On top of that puppets increase science costs anyway, annexing just increase culture costs (and national wonders costs), but when playing domination your culture is probably low enough that a single monument in a puppet will make you come ahead, especially when playing Liberty.

Top Bottom