Planet Earth (2010) Map

Flak Fox

Radioactive Vulpine
So one of the "mods" I began to work on when I received the SDK was a mod that adds several new city states, edits old city states, and mods some playable civilizations for the purpose of creating a map, as accurately as possible, of Earth in the present day.

It's going to take some time to construct and test for perfection, and I still need to play a little with some of the XML modding to get some of the changes just right (Aztec is now Mexico, Iroquois is now Canada, etc).

The thing I am excited most about though is that several of the new city states, as you'll be able to see from the map, are acting as "civilizations" that are currently unplayable.

I think it's going to be a pretty neat map to be honest, though it might not have a significant degree of use/playability, it's just something I wanted to try and if there is enough interest I'll definitely share when it's done.

One thing I'm still not sure about is how to load up a "Scenario" into Civ V, so that this map could be played on as is.

Oh, and Firaxis is obviously responsible for the "blank" map :) I didn't make that.

Obviously it's going to be impossible to make it "100% accurate" but I'm going for as close to real life as possible without totally destroying functionality--IE, no cities touching, etc, which results in for some less than accurate borders and some countries being totally omitted.

Here are some screen shots of the progress if interested.

An interesting concept. However, North Africa seems too bare for my taste. What civs are playable, by the way?

EDIT: I think Switzerland can just be called Bern, especially if Holland is called Amsterdam.

Haha, obviously this is unfinished as I mentioned above :p

And yes, I was going to change Switzerland to Bern as well, I thought of that after posting.

Remember the American and French holdings in the lesser antiles ;)

Also why didn't you include Copenhagen? Greenland belongs to them, not norway. I know Germany needs more room but if you're going for accuracy...

Remember the American and French holdings in the lesser antiles ;)

Also why didn't you include Copenhagen? Greenland belongs to them, not norway. I know Germany needs more room but if you're going for accuracy...

Norway doesn't own Greenland, their colors are just similar on the map. Due to Wilhelsmhaven's location, adding Denmark was impossible. This is all barely even an alpha release so things are very apt to change. I definitely want to try to give Germany more room, yes.

Looks good. What did you use for those Canadian cities?

Iroquois are now acting as Canadians--since they really don't have a "modern day country" to speak of (not one that'd fit on the map anyway), I decided to convert them to Canada and Aztec to Mexico.

Yup. (Though I´d replace Wilhelsmhaven by Hamburg/Kiel and Kaliningrad by Baltic States (which are missing). ;)

This is definitely a possibility :)

Due to Wilhelsmhaven's location, adding Denmark was impossible.
Odd reasoning there. I doubt very many have ever even heard of Wilhelmshaven before, but I think that most have heard of Denmark and Copenhagen. ;)

Holmstad in Sweden should be renamed to either Göteborg or Malmö for better accuracy.

Same goes for Ålesund in Norway where Trondheim would be more fitting.

Odd reasoning there. I doubt very many have ever even heard of Wilhelmshaven before, but I think that most have heard of Denmark and Copenhagen. ;)

Well, if I took out Wilhelmshaven then Germany would have 2 cities. That's a bit ridiculous :)

Holmstad in Sweden should be renamed to either Göteborg or Malmö for better accuracy.

Same goes for Ålesund in Norway where Trondheim would be more fitting.

I'll take those considerations under advisement.

Especially for modern day America, which has very little usable (IE productive) forest growth left.

I'm just using Firaxis' map of America, I didn't tweak any of that.

Well, if I took out Wilhelmshaven then Germany would have 2 cities. That's a bit ridiculous :)

I'll take those considerations under advisement.

I'm just using Firaxis' map of America, I didn't tweak any of that.

Yeah, I understood that. I was just trying to point out something that could be done (if you really wanted) to increase realism in the modern age. If fact, probably a lot of the forest and jungle would be cleared away to represent current times. But, left as is, it's not really something to worry about if you don't want to.

Do you intend to balance things at all though if you release it as an actual map? Other wise, based on number of cities alone, it looks like America (or one of the other large countries) would have a hugely unfair advantage.

Yeah, I understood that. I was just trying to point out something that could be done (if you really wanted) to increase realism in the modern age. If fact, probably a lot of the forest and jungle would be cleared away to represent current times. But, left as is, it's not really something to worry about if you don't want to.

Do you intend to balance things at all though if you release it as an actual map? Other wise, based on number of cities alone, it looks like America (or one of the other large countries) would have a hugely unfair advantage.

I do appreciate the input regardless, as for the trees thing, I am sure when I get more improvements and such laid out and begin actually doing more than just the ground work I will take that sort of thing into consideration. So far the only thing I changed on the map was making one of the Hawaiian islands no longer a mountain so it could support a city.

I do want to make things somewhat balanced, but balanced in the way that they're accurate/proportional to real life. As such, America will have an "unfair advantage" over its neighbors, Russia will have an unfair advantage over most of its neighbors, and China will also have an unfair advantage over its neighbors. I'm currently experimenting with some ideas that might give these smaller neighbors a little more of an advantage, though obviously not militarily. I might make really significant use of the team system so that there are a lot of city-states who have bigger buddies around somewhere to help out just in case. Again, I do appreciate your input and interest :)

Tell me, where does/will Australia fit into all of this?

Australia will definitely be included, but most likely as a large city-state. If there was a civ that was more close to being able to act as Australia I would have done it that way, but for now I believe it'll make a good multi-city-state.

There is no space for Copenhagen: it would only have a city tile + seatiles. Not a healthy city that one.

Yeah, that's definitely another problem with adding Copenhagen. I fear Switzerland/Bern will have similar issues as being a two tile city-state. I'll have to see about scripting in some additional food/production for them.

So, what will Bayblon be? Iraq? Is Afghanistan going to be owned by America?

EDIT: I think Riga could be added as a city state, as well. It'll be small, but I see room for it.

There is no space for Copenhagen: it would only have a city tile + seatiles. Not a healthy city that one.

Denmark technically controlls Greenland, and that's a lot of (unusable:mischief:) land

So, what will Bayblon be? Iraq? Is Afghanistan going to be owned by America?

EDIT: I think Riga could be added as a city state, as well. It'll be small, but I see room for it.

Riga was on my list of cities to add :) Still an unfinished map.

Denmark technically controlls Greenland, and that's a lot of (unusable:mischief:) land

Denmark controls Greenland, but it isn't Greenland. Greenland is Greenland, and Greenland is on my map :p

Well, the middle east may be unfinished, but surely you have a plan for it, right? Persia would be Iran, Arabia would be, well, Arabia. Those two are extremely obvious. However, would you put Babylon as Iraq? Is Afghanistan going to be owned by America? Iraq?

The abilities for some of these nations either don't make sense in the modern world or are irrelevant by this time. America having a bonus on purchasing land? Canada having forests act as roads? IRAQ HAVING MORE GREAT SCIENTISTS!? The only two that should stay the same is Russia and Japan, while France should get Greece's ability (EU, anyone?). Also, to please the American haters on these forums, perhaps America should get Aztecs, as well (Cultural Imperialism while killing people in "senseless" wars XD).

EDIT: Oh yeah, also Arabia should keep their currrent power.

Top Bottom