Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

thamis said:
Factories and some other buildings require power to work. So if you build a factory and you have no power, you don't get the hammers bonus.

So since you can build buildings with no power early in the game, the whole time you are waiting to be able to build the dam or power plant, the factories do nothing?

Some time ago, somebody posted the URL of a website that will run a test to determine whether one's system has the minimum requirements for a variety of games, including Civ IV. I lost the URL. Does anybody remember it?

Ive played right through to end of several games now, and are deserts just dead land now ?, as in Civ III you could irrigate or mine then, and now all you can do is build a road through them (excluding incense and oasis and oil resources).

Doesnt really bother me , just need someone to confirm I havent got a bugged game or something.

Thanks.

xxaaaxx said:
Hope this wasnt asked and answered elsewhere:

Why did they make mountains impassable/unworkable, and does anything in the late game (i.e. tech) change this? Its so painful to have cities with huge amounts of food but a ton of mountains, knowing in civ3 it would be a powerhouse, but now almost useless, for no apparent reason that I can think of other than to sadden builders like me

It makes mountains a more strategic barrier, adds anotehr element of thinking to warfare.

There is no tech to allow you to enter mountains.

Question:

In old versions of this game you were able to view a large, close version of the city with all its buildings. Is it true they removed that feature? All we can do now is zoom on the world map and try to identify what's been built? Seeing the constructions always amazed me and made me proud of my cities. =(

I remember talk of a strategic layer, where you could draw on the map etc. But now that I have the game, I can't find out how to use it. Is it only multiplayer?

There's a little button at the top left of the minimap called 'Ping'. If you click on that you can make a mark on the map. In multiplayer your allies can see this mark, singleplayer it doesn't really have much use.

Gainy said:
There's a little button at the top left of the minimap called 'Ping'. If you click on that you can make a mark on the map. In multiplayer your allies can see this mark, singleplayer it doesn't really have much use.
I'm new to Civ4 and I'm not at home right now so is it possible to label some areas of the map with this ping feature? Cool if it's possible. For example Waterloo :lol:

Besides the testers, we're all new to Civ4 at the moment :p To answer your question:

thedaian said:
Zoom out to the globe view, the button that WAS ping turns into a layer/drawing tool, just add signs or lines as you want. It's easy to figure out once you know it's there.

You saw nothing :mischief:

nattivillin said:
So since you can build buildings with no power early in the game, the whole time you are waiting to be able to build the dam or power plant, the factories do nothing?

Not quite. The factories provide a 50% (I think) hammer bonus before they have power, but they provide an extra 50% bonus when they get power. Basicly, power just makes factories better.

the_magician said:
In old versions of this game you were able to view a large, close version of the city with all its buildings. Is it true they removed that feature? All we can do now is zoom on the world map and try to identify what's been built? Seeing the constructions always amazed me and made me proud of my cities. =(

Yes, it's gone. But really, how can you NOT be proud of cities sprawling out on the map itself, and being able to see stonehenge, or the pyamids on the map (though they like to move around town a bit, through the ages).

LauriL said:
I'm new to Civ4 and I'm not at home right now so is it possible to label some areas of the map with this ping feature?

Zoom out toe the globe view, the button that WAS ping turns into a layer/drawing tool, just add signs or lines as you want. It's easy to figure out once you know it's there.

What does it mean when tiles are identfied by more than one terrain? For example, hills/grassland or forest/jungle/grassland. It seems a little strange. How does this effect what production the tiles provides?

rainmaker said:
What does it mean when tiles are identfied by more than one terrain? For example, hills/grassland or forest/jungle/grassland. It seems a little strange. How does this effect what production the tiles provides?

Hills/grassland means that it's grassland and a hill.

Hill = +1 Hammer
Grassland = 2 Food
Plains = 1 Food 1 Hammer

Hills/Grassland = 2 Food 1 Hammer
Plains/Grassland = 1 Food 2 Hammers

etc.

The terrain now consists of 3 levels "on top of each other".
1st level: Grassland/Plains/Desert/Tundra/Ice
2nd level: Flatland/Hills/Mountains
3rd level: Forests/Jungle/Oasis

So you can also have Plains/Mountains/Jungle

I've played through a couple times (mind you at easy levels just to figure out what is new/different).

There doesn't seem to be a way to get surplus workers or settlers to join an established city. Can anyone shed some light on this?

quick question.

I lost a size 3 city to the AI, i positioned catapults 1 tile away the next turn but there was no option to bombard. I could only attack!

is this due to the fact that the city was still in resistance and as a result of being a newly taken city there were no city defenses to bombard?

thamis said:
Hills/grassland means that it's grassland and a hill.

Hill = +1 Hammer
Grassland = 2 Food
Plains = 1 Food 1 Hammer

Hills/Grassland = 2 Food 1 Hammer
Plains/Grassland = 1 Food 2 Hammers

etc.

The terrain now consists of 3 levels "on top of each other".
1st level: Grassland/Plains/Desert/Tundra/Ice
2nd level: Flatland/Hills/Mountains
3rd level: Forests/Jungle/Oasis

So you can also have Plains/Mountains/Jungle

Actually a Hill is -1 food +1 Hammer so

Hills/Grassland = 1 Food 1 Hammer
Plains/Grassland = 0 Food 2 Hammers

Lesuit said:
I've played through a couple times (mind you at easy levels just to figure out what is new/different).

There doesn't seem to be a way to get surplus workers or settlers to join an established city. Can anyone shed some light on this?

That's because a settler/worker doesn't contain any population (they just get to use extra food in their production). so the way to get them to 'join' a city is
1. Go to the City
2. Delete/Disband the Settler/Worker
3. The 0 population that is in the Settler/Worker is then added to the city.

oljb007 said:
quick question.

I lost a size 3 city to the AI, i positioned catapults 1 tile away the next turn but there was no option to bombard. I could only attack!

is this due to the fact that the city was still in resistance and as a result of being a newly taken city there were no city defenses to bombard?

You can only bombard city walls. Then you just have to attack. The higher the collateral damage of your catapult, the more additional units in the city will suffer damage. With three or four catapults you can get four defenders down to a ridiculous strength and then take the city with other units. Downside: You probably lose 2 or 3 catapults.

@Krikkitone: Correct.

That's because a settler/worker doesn't contain any population (they just get to use extra food in their production). so the way to get them to 'join' a city is
1. Go to the City
2. Delete/Disband the Settler/Worker
3. The 0 population that is in the Settler/Worker is then added to the city.
This doesn't actually grow the city in question does it.

Top Bottom