TSG1 Game in Progress

Played till 820 AD and a lot has happened:

Founded Rome on the starting position as there were some great coast tiles around + some luxuries (wine, silk). Went immediately for Pottery and Sailing, produced some working boats to improve those Fish tiles and scouted the continent. Met Budapest, Venice and Germany early in the game. Took some time to meet the other Civs and City-States as Bismarck blocked my access to the rest of the continent with Berlin. Weird Pangeae map! :confused:

In the meantime, founded Antium just to the south of Rome, with access to those deer & wheat tiles. Also founded Cumae to the north of Rome, just above the iron tile. Grabbed Horseback Riding and produced some Horsemen. Had more difficulties to grab enough iron to produce Rome's UU. (limited strategic resources are a big change but a positive one). Allied with Budapest for some extra iron. Produced two Legions and one Ballista and threw it in Bismarck's face along with the earlier Horsemen and two Great Generals. It was far too easy... I expected quite a fight from Germany but they were no match at all. Took Bismarck's cities of Berlin, Hamburg and Munich and wiped him from the face of the Earth. Japan then decided to settle a new city just outside of Munich which of course I had to destroy. Immediately after that, I decided to negotiate peace with Japan on favourable terms. Planning on spending a Great General in constructing a Citadel on that northern chokepoint so I can deny all other Civs access to the Western part of the continent.

Some remarks: I love the new combat system, just love how the battles are far more tactical! :) And I am impressed by the siege weapons like the Ballista & Trebuchet... they rock!!! :D

I am leading in discovered technologies although I still have to get used to the fact that you can't trade technologies with the other Civs. I am also not used to seeing the map so full from the start of the game, those city-states are everywhere! :p And I definately have to do something with my production rates as I wasn't able to build any Wonder yet. :cry:

Ugh, this map is incredibly frustrating for a domination win. Mountains and hills everywhere, bottlenecks everywhere, and we start on an isolated peninsula. I took out Germany quickly with warriors and spears (I had a warrior stationed next to his capital and captured his unguarded settler when he sent it out, then just overwhelmed his only city with 5 units), then upgraded them to legions and moved on and took out Japan and Montezuma. I upgraded to Longswordsmen while healing up in Monty's capital, and have 3 of them positioned outside Persia's borders, ready to invade. Its sometime around 500 AD at the moment, but I still haven't even MET China yet (I only know its the last civ from reading a few posts here), and considering the terrain of this map, I'm probably a good 10-15 turns away from her borders. Rough guess, I expect to finish around 800 AD.

I stopped my first civ5 game for this gotm. It will be my first and it´s interesting to see the different strategies. I didn´t take notes or screenshots. So let me try to remember:
Spoiler :
I built Rome at the starting position. It seems to be a really good position for fast growth in the early stages of the game. I first built a worker and then a settler. My first settler started a new town a little bit in the west of Rome - Antium. It followed a second city far in the north. The Germans didn´t like the new company, but they didn´t have to live that long with it. Only 2 horsemen and 1 warrior - without any bombardment units - conquered all three german cities. With one more founded town beetween Rome and Germany I now own 7 cities.

A lonely horsemen started with a long trip into the east. Probably wanting to finde Buddha, but instead he found a lot of city states.

I am not sure how I will go forward from this position. I didn´t do anything with the city states so far. Probably I will just conquest a few with usable resources. A few fast troops with a little help from bombardment units should be enough for a domination victory. I am normally not a fast player and will probably take some time to take all enemies out.

Edit: Next time I will resize the screenshot a little bit. My first post five years after my registration. Wooho! :)

Attachments

• civ5-gotm-200.jpg
    civ5-gotm-200.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 825
This is my first gotm so I forgot to keep track of what happened at first but it couldn't be too different from everyone else's starts.
Spoiler :
I founded Antium and Cumae and took over Budapest. At some point a great general was born.
In 680 BC (I think, I can't read my handwriting) I declared war on Germany and attacked with 3 spearmen, 1 warrior, and 1 archer.
In 650 BC I took Berlin and in 600 BC my second great general was born.
Unfortunately, in 500 BC, Germany built a landsknecht which killed my archer and blocked me from Hamburg so I took his 163 gold, 1 gpt, and marble for peace until I could get a respectable army back together.
In 400 BC I built my first legion!
In 375 BC I made Venice my ally and in 350 BC I killed some barbarians for Warsaw and they befriended me.
In 275 I entered the medieval era.
In 100 BC I went back to war with Germany and Hamburg was mine by 25 BC. Farewell Deutschland.

Farewell Deutschland.jpg

I thought I saw it mentioned here, but I can't pull up the thread either. I was able to find similar issues elsewhere however: ...

This is a confirmed bug and will be corrected in the "next hot fix", although I don't know which hot fix. See this thread for more info. Post 73 states:

We have the fix. You will see it in the next hot-fix.

Also, I don't know if the patch will solve the issue in your save or not. There is a rumor that nuking them will bring war, but I don't know if that is true.

I advice you to estimate your turn of victory, and post that date in the After Action Report thread. We will then add a note to your date in the final results list stating it's an estimation due to the everlasting peace issue.

@Erkon - will this hot fix cause any problems in getting whatever data you and the GOTM staff need for developing the HOF mod? I've been playing the TS1 game in the offline mod, so that the game would not be modified before I had completed TS1.

I'm playing this in windows on my 2008 macbook pro, meaning I do not have the benefit or using the print screen button to take screen shots (it's not supported by bootcamp). So instead I do the following:

1) Downloaded a free program called IrfanView
2) Opened it and pressed "c" for capture
3a) Changed the default options to automatically save pictures into a directory of my choosing (the hotkey was control f11). You want to do this because otherwise it will open the picture automatically and kick you off of the Civ V window
3b) Hit start and then go back to or open up Civ 5
4) Uploaded the pictures to an online hosting site (i prefer imageshack)
5) Use the direct link url on these forums

Thanks for the heads up in IrfanView. It looks like a great free program. I'll be able to load the tga into it then save in whatever format I wish. I also play on a Mac, but its a desktop iMac so I have the extended keyboard and am able to print screen.

I've finished the game, so my next report will be in the after action section.

My game sounds a tad different to the others.

I took out the city states on my peninsularfor their resources before going for Germany . After doing so, and noting how far off the next Major power was, I waited the 20 turns or so for Astronomy and then sailed my army (3 Longswords, a Pikeman, a Knight, 2 Crossbows, and a Trebuchet) off into the Western ocean.

Since I was friendly with China I declared on Montezuma, finishing him quickly, I turned on Darius.

China has finally woken up to my strategy and now it will be interesting to decide which way to turn.

Rome was settled on the spot, a very luxurious place although we do miss those seven hills. :)

We sent our Warrior, young Marcus, to roam the countryside in order to keep any barbarians far away from us. He made contact with the modest neighbours in Budapest and stumbled on some ancient ruins in a swamp, where he learned of a technology called Pottery that seems to allow us to build some kind of food storage. However, there were urgent things to do first.

Marcus got the fright of his life when a barbarian Brute looked down from his camp on our young man's poor shelter in that swamp but nothing happened, so he took heart and attacked himself, destroying brute and camp alike in two strikes. :mischief:

Meanwhile, Rome began instructing a couple of Workers right away and initiated research on Animal Husbandry as there was talk of an animal that can pull carts a lot faster than oxes can. The senate made an important decision when it spent cash to claim a third fishing spot. The city is growing fast! :king:

Animal Husbandry was discovered in 3680bc and showed two Horse locations near Rome. When the first Worker was ready in 3320bc one of these tiles was bought for 55 gold and the Worker was sent there to create a pasture. Another tile next to that, with Wheat, was also acquired a few turns later.

In 3360bc, a Scout from a civilization named Germany ran by and made contact. We tried for a pact of cooperation, but they cancelled that the next turn already. Where this Germany is located, noone knows.

A glorious year was 3200bc when Roman politicians decided to adopt the Liberty policy, that allows the empire to produce new settlers a lot faster. Others favoured a more military approach but were clearly outvoted. In the very same year, scholars discovered the Calendar, and Rome itself expanded to cover a second Wine resource. Thanks to the scientific advance the people of Rome now know how to actually make wine. For the moment, though, they are happy enough fishing and admiring the horses, but a great future awaits. :goodjob:

Marcus killed another Brute that came up from the south, threatening our Worker.

It is now 3000bc and the pasture is finished: the empire has access to a Horse resource! Rome is about to grow to size 5 and the second Worker is due in 4 turns.

@Erkon - will this hot fix cause any problems in getting whatever data you and the GOTM staff need for developing the HOF mod? I've been playing the TS1 game in the offline mod, so that the game would not be modified before I had completed TS1.

No, this should not be a problem.

I'm not very good at warfare in Civ4, this is my first V game attempting to be aggressive.

I conquered Germany 110 turns in at 125 BC.

City states:
Spoiler :

Military:
Spoiler :

Map overview:
Spoiler :

I started off building two scouts and went exploring. My plan was to meet and befriend as many city states as possible while conquering anything that got in my way. I managed to get one scout past Bismarck and complete a barbarian mission for Tyre thanks to the honour policies. I allied them early, then used their gifted archer to kill more barbarians and build influence with Warsaw and Singapore. One thing I made sure to do was to save as many barbarian encampments until I got influence for them. I made the mistake of ignoring culture expecting a faster conquest, also not realizing that puppets didn't count towards policy cost.

Anyway, long story short my army was way overkill for Bismarck and his two cities fell in a few turns. After the conquest I played about 10 more turns. I used my second great general to start a golden age, added a few units and began moving my army across the continent. Unfortunately I never anticipated the small map to be so spread out, nor the fact that there's something seriously broken with goto and 1 unit per tile. You can't set the trailing units to "go to" anywhere because they think they're being blocked, even though the guys in front of them are moving, especially on a map with a lot of choke points and rough terrain. So I have to move every single unit manually every turn. It reminds me of civ2, and not in a good way. It's worse now because my FPS isn't that great and units take forever to move.

My migrating army: 1 legion, 4 horsemen, 3 archers, 1 chariot archer, 2 ballista, 1 catapult, 2 scouts, 1 spear, 1 trireme

I'm not sure that I'll finish this game, because I'm in such a tedious position, but it was an interesting learning experience. Next time I shall definitely get astronomy before trying to engage in any distant wars. I'll also go to war earlier.

Attachments

• civ5testdiplo.png
    civ5testdiplo.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 708
  • civ5testmil.png
    civ5testmil.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 745
  • civ5testoverview.jpg
    civ5testoverview.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 698
OK took me 287 turns for the Domination victory.

The main thing I have come away with is that this seems like a kiddy game compared to Civ IV.

I never felt threatened in the game, the AI is miserable.

Pathing is ludicrously bad, A dog's breakfast. If you ask a team of workers to make a straight road from one city to another, they won't cooperate and make the one road, they will all think they are making their own road and make 3 routes because the other workers are 'blocking' them

The ability to drop your whole army in the ocean is disproportionately powerful. Sea invasions are incredibly hard, yet there I was just sailing across the ocean with my whole army. And in Fighting the Japanese it was MUCH easier to have troops sailing up the coast, rather than slogging through the hilly terrain.

The starting location appeared to favor rapid settler expansion. So, Rome decided to research toward sailing, to build scouts, and to adopt social policies that would help expansion. Tundra to the south made it seem likely that Rome was actually in Argentina.

3800 – measuring Budapest for puppet status

3680 – pottery finished, sailing started. Rome would normally keep the warrior searching, but the narrow strip of land we’re on suggests the scout will do the job without help and another scout is being trained.
Map from first ruins.

3520 – Our troops are beating up a local bruit camp. Two scouts are scouting. A granary is building. Venice and Germany have been met. The German liars have asked for a cooperation pact.

3280 – Sailing finished and next priority is to research for calendar to be able to use local lux resources. More barb camps found and the warrior will get some time away from home after all. (German liars ended the pact of cooperation next turn, lol.) Liberty adopted in 3200.

2880 – Berlin is awkwardly blocking our scouting strat. So, rome ganged up on the remaining barb camp and will withdraw units to the capital when they heal. Workboats and workers next on production agenda. Calendar In 2640. Trapping next as horses are nearby. Another barb camp ganged up on.

A few turns later, a third barb camp is defeated and gold is approaching the magic 600 mark 

A worker build is underway and mining is being researched as Rome needs iron to get on with the business of being Rome. Pop is 5, with +3 food, +7 production, +13 gold, +8 science, and one lonely culture point per turn.

It’s kind of fun firing from cities at the barbs who visit.

1960 – first settler purchased an a T-boat underway to see if we can explore better. Maybe we need to embark some scouts. Settler headed for northwest cow and fish resources. Research for iron underway.

1800 – Golden age. Second city founded and building a workboat. We’re in the wine business 
Former budding Bismarck is denying me an open borders agreement. However, the T-boat was able to go south of Berlin with no problem. Barbs living on the snow to the south are being attacked for more gold.

1600 – Bismarck pays Rome 146 gold in return for open borders agreement and extra wine supply. Rome (now 6 pop) has its needed monument and is building a barracks. Horses being hooked up. Warsaw met a couple of turns later. Became friends with Budapest by killing the local barbs. Citizenship adopted, let’s get some work done around here.

1320 – Iron discovered. A very cold supply on the icy coast to the south and another to the north, dangerously near Germany, with a third to the southwest not too far away. Reserve gold used to buy settler to quickly get the supply up north. A bargain price, since we adopted expansionary social policies. Rome decided to take a chance and put up an early Armory before starting units. Metal casting underway.

Budapest sent Rome a warrior. Maybe they are worthy neighbors after all.

By the way, I’m sure I don’t understand the rules for when a strategic resource is available. Horses appear to be hooked up. Do they need to be roaded? Are they available to all cities on the coast when I have sailing?

650 – Another purchased settler captures the iron to the SW. All scouts loose in the hinterlands above Germany. Four cities growing nicely. Germany is not too long for this world I expect. Oda met, along with assorted city states. Bismarck is definitely in a poor mood, but was willing to buy wine when the previous trade deal ran out. Rome decided to pick up philosophy, having just learned to write. First Legionary in 550. Became a meritocracy in 450. Monte appeared to be high on something when we met, but he did sign an open borders agreement.

Philosophy did not work out well. No one would sign a research agreement. Rome heads for steel, having no rivers to benefit from civil service.

China first tried to sell an open borders agreement and then agreed to fair terms the next turn.

Rome made a mistake in settler placement when the settler left a hex open between the town and the iron supply to the south. The city state expanded into the iron.
Bismarck completed the GL in 300. Nice to see them working on peaceful projects. We are working on barracks and units. Out of iron already. Might need to puppetize Budapest? Would that get the needed iron. Also, could settle the ice to the south. Rome decides to buy another settler and waste him on that spot 

Anyone know how to “un”garrison units?

Budapest puppetized. That’s enough for this morning.

By the way, I’m sure I don’t understand the rules for when a strategic resource is available. Horses appear to be hooked up. Do they need to be roaded? Are they available to all cities on the coast when I have sailing?

Philosophy did not work out well. No one would sign a research agreement.

Anyone know how to “un”garrison units?
I don't think the resources have to be roaded. In my game, I made an ally of Budapest, and they granted me the Iron near their city when they had it mined. I could build two Iron units as soon as they granted it to me.

IIRC, for a Research Agreement, both you and the AI Civ need to have knowledge of Philosophy, so if you are the first to research Philosophy, you may need to wait for others to catch up. Also, both your Civ and the AI Civ need to have a requisite amount of Gold on hand in order to form a research agreement, although I'm not sure of the amount of Gold needed, or if that amount scales up as you move up the tech tree.

If you have a unit garrisoned in a city, there is a unit icon just to the left of the defense rating on the city banner. Click on the unit icon, and you can move the unit out of the city, thereby un-garrisoning the unit, or you can have the unit fire on or attack an intruder that the city bombardment didn't kill. Having a garrison unit attack an intruder that has been weakened by city bombardment is a good way to get some easy experience points for that unit.

I'm at 1000 AD. Germany, Monty, and Japan all down. Anexed all their cities, not sure if that was a good idea or not. Left the city states alone. Was friends with budapest long enough to get a couple of units out of them but decided to spend my cash on legions instead of relations.

Went Fish first then Iron.
Killed Germany really early with 2 spears and 2 warriors. No losses. Thanks for the 6 iron!
Built Antium by 2 iron between Berlin and Rome. (that is my only build)
Search search search.
Killed Monty (2 cities) with legions. It was a little tight I lost 2 units to swarms of Jaguar.
Killed Japan with mixed Long swords, Legions, Horsemen, and Balista. It was luck he didn't have samuri yet. Though I soundly trounced him and think I could have managed a couple ninja killers.

I am now pretty much ignoring Culture and Happieness, Producing and buying soldiers when I can. I think I can take out china with what I have. Then. If I have to sell a city to buy more units I will. I absorbed completley my first 3 foes. The final 2 wil be straight to the capital and puppet for as quick a win as I can.

My strategy would not work on higher levels. I am taking full advantage of happieness bonus and slow teching of opponents.

While I am a big fan of 1UPT, This map definitly illustrates some of the disadvantages.

Fun times. Thanks all!

What is the purpose of the Great General? So far as I can tell, he will build a Citadel(useful for defense, but not for this game), and he will start a Golden Age(also useful, but not for this game). What else can he do?

I believe that the great general can be stacked with a key unit and increase combat effectiveness during an attack. He helps all the units near him, IMHO.

Thanks especially for the "un"garrisoning advice :) It's always awkard for awhile when they change the game. About the negative comments, I'm not sure we can tell much about the AI at this level of difficulty. Perhaps the AI will appear more difficult when we move up after learning some moves.

What is the purpose of the Great General? So far as I can tell, he will build a Citadel(useful for defense, but not for this game), and he will start a Golden Age(also useful, but not for this game). What else can he do?

I believe that the great general can be stacked with a key unit and increase combat effectiveness during an attack. He helps all the units near him, IMHO.

Just to conclude what I wrote above, Rome took it’s time trying to learn the ropes of it’s new environment. Near 500AD happiness became a problem due to population size and number of cities. So, Rome moved to add a new puppet state with access to diamonds and built some happiness buildings in the cities. Later, getting the same result as others, we simply marched an overwhelming army through Germany. That’s it for this game. Will try again at a higher difficulty level next month.

I've had a bit of a play with this map. One unit per tile certainly seems to slow everything down! It seems you have to micro-manage troop movements very carefully. It's as bad as ship chaining in Civ3!

I found a couple of times that moving one unit forward just caused a unit on the destination tile to move backwards to make room for it. Result - two units use up their movement points, and they make zero net progress in that turn.

Top Bottom