Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi there.

I recently bought 'Civlization III Complete'. I used to have an older copy of Civ III, but I lost it. I remember in the old copy, however, that there was tool for creating your own maps (I think it's called the 'map editor'). Civ III complete does not seem to have a map editing facility - this is a huge dissapointment to me, as one of my favourite things about the game was the ability to build my own worlds.

Does anybody know where I might be able to locate a map editor for Civ III?

Thanks,

Neil

@Moosehead: Welcome to CFC. :band: :banana: [party] :beer: :cheers:

The file should be there.

Did you look in the "Civilization III Complete" folder? The filename is Civ3Edit.exe. ;)

AFAIK if they have no cities there's no support to pay. Same applies for humans.

Thanks Bartleby. Does this mean if the AI has lost all his cities but has a lone settler out there that he could conceivably have a large milatary with no support or would they just disband?

Thank you, Eman.

I found the file, though when I open the editor, it displays the error message "cannot find Civilization III Complete". Does anybody else get this? I was thinking it might be a Vista compatability problem.

If I choose to ignore the error message and open the editor anyway, certain features seem to be a little off. For example, it won't let me place resources such as gems or game onto the map - I simply hear the windows "ding" and the cursor turns into a little circular red sign, like the ones they use for no smoking signs.

Also, if i want to save the map I've made, I have to save it to the desktop from the editor and manually place the file into the "scenarios" folder of Civ III Complete.

Has anybody had these problems before?

Thanks.

Governor Settings Question:
I was playing with Governors near the end of a Histographic game during the milk phase. My question is; when you change a setting - i.e. just one setting - and apply it to all cities, does only the single setting take effect?
Or do you have to go into all the settings and make sure that they are all correct each time you set them (seems tedious).?
Thanks

Thanks Bartleby. Does this mean if the AI has lost all his cities but has a lone settler out there that he could conceivably have a large milatary with no support or would they just disband?

I think they'd keep their large military.

They will lose one unit per turn, not enough to matter. I used to think I could smash towns and drop support and that would shrink the army. Nope, but it does slow down the ability to replace lost units.

Forestry:
Does a chop outside cultural borders apply to a nearby city? or is it lost?

I want to say if it's inside the 21-tile 'fat x', then it applies. But I don't think I've ever done that.

Forestry:
Does a chop outside cultural borders apply to a nearby city? or is it lost?

It must be within the 21-tiles that would comprise the fat X, but need not be within your borders. The fat X is the 21 tile city limit that will result from the first cultural border expansion. It's a 5-tile x 5-tile diamond shape with the corners missing, making it look like an "X".

Imagine your capital which starts as a 3-tile x 3-tile diamond, and then grows to the fat X after 10 turns x 1 culture point from the palace. That's what we call the fat X.

I appreciate the answer on the forestry question.
Does anyone have any insight into the governor question in post #226?:confused:

Thanks

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8246039&postcount=226

Another question: Shortrushing: how does it work? If I have a 60 shield improvement that I want to rush, is it cheaper to rush 20 sh, switch, 20 more (via 40 sh item), switch, and then the final 20?
Or does it matter?

Governor Settings Question:
I was playing with Governors near the end of a Histographic game during the milk phase. My question is; when you change a setting - i.e. just one setting - and apply it to all cities, does only the single setting take effect?
Or do you have to go into all the settings and make sure that they are all correct each time you set them (seems tedious).?
Thanks

Do you mean if the settings are remembered? I think they are even remembered from game to game. I.e. you make changes to any settings on the governor screen in your current game, and those setting will be there in the next game that you start. Same as with the preferences.

Or are you thinking more along the lines of what happens if you have different settings for different cities to begin with? I have no idea, but that should be fairly easy to check.

Another question: Shortrushing: how does it work? If I have a 60 shield improvement that I want to rush, is it cheaper to rush 20 sh, switch, 20 more (via 40 sh item), switch, and then the final 20?
Or does it matter?

The shields that you rush when the box is empty cost 8 gold per shield, while shields that you rush when there is something in the box cost 4 gold. In your example the first 20 would cost you 160 gold, while the remaining 40 would come as 160 as well for an overall cost of 320.

It is generally best to either not rush anything when the box is empty or to use the cheapest item available and then switch over. Cheapest are workers, which would cost you 80 gold if fully rushed. In your example that would mean you could save 40 gold (8*10 + 4*50 = 280).

It is even better if you rush only up to a point where the city can provide the missing shields. If your city made say 10 per turn and you had a 50 shield item (Do they even exit? C3C's Celtic Swords maybe?) then it would be best to only rush up to 50 shields and save some more cash (8*10 + 4*40 = 240).

If you actually let the city at 10 shields per turn put some shields in the box the build time would go up to two turns but you could save 80 gold for an overall cost of only 160 gold.

If your city made say 10 per turn and you had a 50 shield item (Do they even exit? C3C's Celtic Swords maybe?)
Explorers are 50 shields, I think. Weren't the Gallic Swords only 50 shields in PTW? Ah well, it's not important for your answer. I've always been too lazy to rush anything, but I'll take this post to heart.

I appreciate the explanation on shortrushing. Thanks everyone.:)

A question regarding bumping old threads.

I have been reading through a number of classic games and have been thoroughly enjoying them. I have been rather reluctant though to post a thank you and a thumbs up :goodjob:on them even though I would like to. Is it considered rude or bad form to post a kudos in an old thread? And if so how old is the general cutoff... weeks, months, years?

Thanks

I believe I am correct that a captured city cannot flip on the same turn that you capture it. Does it also follow that a city you found will also not flip on the same turn that you create it?

I have been reading through a number of classic games and have been thoroughly enjoying them. I have been rather reluctant though to post a thank you and a thumbs up :goodjob:on them even though I would like to. Is it considered rude or bad form to post a kudos in an old thread?
Yes, it is. That would be considered a 'spam bump'.
And if so how old is the general cutoff... weeks, months, years?

Thanks
There is no hard and fast rule. In order to bump a thread, it has to be a topical, relevant, and useful bump. So bumping those threads would be a spam bump, but if you were to bump a thread in Tech Support that was unresolved with either a resolution, or more information because you're experiencing the same error, that wouldn't be so bad.

A common answer around here is 'It depends'. And that's exactly how I'm going to answer your query.

I've been reading alot of SG account and have noticed references to defensive bombardment from archers and longbows. I have been playing vanilla for years, and just got a copy of Gold and am in the middle of my first PTW game.

So my question is, do archers and longbows have defensive bombardment in PTW?
And I saw a reference to archers having def bombardment before catapults in C3C. Do they have this attribute throughout the ages or only until Math?

Thanks

I just checked: archers and longbows did not have defensive bombard in PTW, but they do in Conquests. Attributes of units don't change with techs, only workers change a bit with age development and government.

Top Bottom