Why should you swap great works?

Last night, I built the Lourve, this requires 2 artifacts and 2 great works of art all from different civs and different eras. I had a Shoshone industrial era painting, and a Moroccan ancient artifact. plus some more of my Shoshone art and Shoshone artifacts. So, since I was the first to get dig sites, no one else could trade with me for artifacts (you can only swap of the same kind, and you cant swap music)........I traded my art stuff for other civ's art from different eras and put my own artifact in there as well............I ended up with a Polish renaissance art, and Portugese medieval art, a classical Shoshone artifact, and an ancient Moroccan artifact, and it added +6 tourism theming bonus (now had I been France, that bonus would have been doubled to +12

That is in addition to the set amount of +2 per Great Work/Artifact, so the Lourve itself was generating +14tourism alone! (if it were france it would have been +20!)

It's pretty fun going in and trying to move all the pieces around to generate the most tourism you can!

EDIT: time to correct myself. The theming bonus for the Lourve is +8, so that's +16 tourism for non-French civs and +24 for France! The Lourve is a BIG deal when it comes to tourism and the new cultural victory!

Don't forget that completing Aesthetics further doubles the theming bonuses (but I am not sure if for France this means you would have 48 or just 36). And then you have the Internet.

Very well then. What's your alternative idea? Remember that it needs to be accessible and fun for the player.

Maybe the swapping system was a bad idea at the very beginning?

Can anyone tell me does the swapping system work in the same way in multiplayer mode too? If so, it sounds stupid. You can just swap items from other players.

I have +16 with the Louvre in Paris, France.

A three paint slot building in Paris can net +12 theming bonus. +16 with four filled paint slots from the Louvre.

Theming bonus' seem to diminish in value with every city...OR theming bonus requirements are so varied as to make it impossible to score similar combos over time.

Thanks. They should've put different icons for arts and artifacts then.

edit: Is there a way to destroy artifact or give it away?

However, if you place 2 Great Writings that are from different ages and sources, you get a "theming bonus" (I think for the Great Library it's another +2) additional tourism (don't remember if it's also additional culture).

No bonus for me.

Swapped to get 2 great writings from different ages and sources, but no theming bonus. What now?

I think this is where I tend to differ. I just swap stuff because I might like something better than something else... er, for Art`s sake. Aesthetics. I really get tired of doing something for artificial numbers. That`s not how art should be about. Ho hum.

From an "aesthetic" and dynamics point-of-view, the Swap System isn't bad...but it could be toned up like the rest of their system. One thing is that to take advantage of it, you have to be winning already.

One thing, I think they should take the storage idea and mix it in with an auction idea. Pretty much, you can place Great Works into this building (call it either an Auction House, Pawn Shop, or Antique Store) where you get half the culture and tourism from it, but other civs can request swap outs.

One is that if you don't have any space, but you still want something from that Era, you can store it. Two, if you want the full benefits, you'll have to settle a new city to open up more tourism spaces. Three, forms more interaction with other civilizations over your works of art. Swaps don't affect your diplomacy.

Top Bottom