CIV IV still wont install

WantToPlay

Chieftain
I put the install CD (Disc 1) in and autorun brings up a menu. I click on 'Install' and an install wizard status bar shows and after a couple of minutes I get the following error message:

Unhandled Exception
Error Number: 0x80040702
Description: Failed to load DLL: DSETUP
Setup will now terminate.

I exchanged the game for another copy and I get the same error. I tried installing the game on a friend's computer and it works so at least I know I have a good copy. I attached my DxDiag file. Any suggestions???

Thanks.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    46.6 KB · Views: 63
Have you tried updating the drive firmware ? Its possible the tollerences on the laser are out of wack for current DVDs - firmware upgrade may resolve it.

Drive manufacturer's website will have a firmware section in its Support area aka video drivers on ATI or NVidia

Regards
Zy

Hi there,
I too ran into a problem with my computer recognizing one of my install CDs. I got errors during the install, and also during play. This sort of error also occured for me with Civ III and (my beloved) Pirates! I think that they just use cheap media. Fortunately, my solution has always been simple. I used a reliable external CD drive that reads everything, including my old scratched-up MC Hammer CDs. It solves the problem in each case....pretty sure that they are just crappy CDs.

If this doesn't work, try installing the updated firmware for your CD drive. Good luck!
-waggabu

Hmm, I have never updated the firmware for my CD/DVD drives before. Can you help me choose the right firmware because after a little searching I saw a bunch of warnings like this one:

"Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively. Read carefully the installation notes of your firmware before you upgrade. The Firmware Page and the drive manufacturer can't be responsible and REMEMBER: This is at your own risk!!!!"

I really don't want to make my problem any worse.

I have two drives, a DVD ROM drive and a DVD/CD RW drive. I use the DVD ROM drive for installations and playing CDs and the other drive for making DVD/CDs. Before I say anything else, I did try both drives when trying to install this game and both had the same error.

The only information I could find on these drives was through the device manager and it listed:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A
Device type: DVD/CD-ROM drives
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

IDE DVD-ROM 16X
Device type: DVD/CD-ROM drives
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

I found some downloads for the first one by typing "NEC firmware" in google (3rd hit) but there were several to choose from for ND-2500A. I couldn't really find anything for the second one (IDE).

Thank you for helping me with this, I think we're on the right track here.:)

Top Bottom