What urban legends did/do you believe?

What urban legends did/do you believe?

• Total voters
Eating Pop Rocks and soda may kill you
The Mythbusters busted this one! :mischief:

I thought the cracking knuckles and the like was proven right?

And the Swimming one is true, pretty much any cardiovascular excercize( I know I spelled that wrong :p) within about an hour or so, it depends on the person, will cause some sort of problem, usually just making you sick.

I know this because it's happenned to me and many of my friends before. Just like running after a meal. Bad idea.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
I thought the cracking knuckles and the like was proven right?

Nah, it's just the release of gas I believe. And I swim all the time right after dinner! :D

The only one I am unsure of is the hat one, seems like a baseball cap would put more strees on the roots.

People still tell me cracking my knuckles will give me arthritis.

Good thing they're wrong, I crack mine A LOT.

I believed the knuckles thing for a long while. Then I found out that it was just nitrogen bubbles popping, not cartilage or anything. Then I found out some guy died from having a nitrogen bubble in his knee while working on the Brooklyn bridge, so many I should be cracking my knuckles more... :hmm:

Tomoyo said:
I believed the knuckles thing for a long while. Then I found out that it was just nitrogen bubbles popping, not cartilage or anything. Then I found out some guy died from having a nitrogen bubble in his knee while working on the Brooklyn bridge, so many I should be cracking my knuckles more... :hmm:
That's decompression sickness. It only happends if you ascend or descend in water quickly. It was first widely observed with the building of the Brookline Bridge, before people figured out what caused it. The workers would work in the underwater bell by day and quicky assend to the surface by supper daily.

Today it happens most commonly with scuba divers, who dive to deep depths and assend too quickly. There are recomended halting altitudes where divers are supposed to stop for a few minutes to let there bodies adjust, but sometimes the reccomended stop time is not enough for the specific diver, so the diver gets "the bends". The treatment is spening several days in a pressurised chamber.

I'd be surprised if nuckle cracking was the same thing.

Knuckle cracking is probably not the same thing. I just remembered hearing about death by nitrogen bubble at the Brooklyn Bridge (as in, actually at the bridge) and related it to knuckle cracking by means of similar terms. :p

aww.. there's no "New Jersey Devil" and various other haunted sightings option. :(

I used to believe the gum one

when I was a little kid I kind of believed in the gum myth, mostly because I didn't care enough to look into it, never really thought about it though

I heard the knuckle cracking myth a few years ago, I thought about that one mostly because I can crack my knuckles at any time by simply tightly closing my fists with both hands, like Bruce Lee :D

I didn't know whether to believe it or not so I figured I might as well cut down on the knuckle cracking, not that I did it much to begin with

So, is it ok to crack knuckles then?

Because I just succeeded in breaking the habit. Now I find out it isn't bad after all.

Top Bottom