Civ IV: Colonization

As I mentioned, it's a sensitive issue here in Canada. Innocent people have died because of it. Not many I admit, but even one is too many.
Historically, pretty much every independence movement has resulted in quite a few deaths. Unfortunately it seems to go hand in hand. Those who have power don't seem to ever want to give it up.

Wodan

You know Willem I'm getting sick and tired of your know-it-all attitude about everything.
I live in Nova Scotia. And Nova Scotian history was what we did in school primarily til Junior High. So thanks for your insight.

And vikings was a joke. Obviously they weren't around during the time frame Colonization is based in.

I live in Nova Scotia. And Nova Scotian history was what we did in school primarily til Junior High. So thanks for your insight.

And vikings was a joke. Obviously they weren't around during the time frame Colonization is based in.

Well then you should also know that the Scots weren't around in Nova Scotia during the time frame of Colonization either, the French were. Go tell the Acadians they weren't there first and see what they have to say about it.

Oh and I apologize for missing the part about you being from there. I'm just used to people who know squat about this country and didn't look at your location. I wouldn't have come across so smugly had I noticed.

In the context of the game sure, but please don't refer to the real Quebec as a nation, as you seem to have been doing in your first post. It's not, nor ever has been one, as much as some of the Quebecois would like things to be otherwise.

Interesting, because when i lived and had my education in canada, it was always taught that Quebecois were a different people then the canadians, same with the acadians.

Both Scots and Swedes had colonies in the Americas in the quoted period...... but both in the Caribean :crazyeye:

The scots iirc colonized Panama. but it failed. The Swedes Colonized the rural areas of New York and other atlantic provinces iirc.

Interesting, because when i lived and had my education in canada, it was always taught that Quebecois were a different people then the canadians, same with the acadians.

They're different yes, but they're still Canadians. Chinese-Canadians are different too, but that doesn't make them any less Canadian. Quebec has never had any independance, they've always been a province or colony of some other power. They may have a different language and a somewhat different culture but they're not considered a nation, though some of them would like to be. They came very close to it a few years back however. There was a referendum and the No side only won with something like 51% of the vote.

They're different yes, but they're still Canadians. Chinese-Canadians are different too, but that doesn't make them any less Canadian. Quebec has never had any independance, they've always been a province or colony of some other power. They may have a different language and a somewhat different culture but they're not considered a nation, though some of them would like to be. They came very close to it a few years back however. There was a referendum and the No side only won with something like 51% of the vote.

If having a different Language and culture then everyone else doesn't consider someone to be a nation, then that means that there isn't any "nation" on this planet. ;)

If having a different Language and culture then everyone else doesn't consider someone to be a nation, then that means that there isn't any "nation" on this planet. ;)

But along with the different language and culture there has to be political autonomy, the ability to deal directly with the other nations of the world and to form it's own laws. Quebec has never had that. It has jurisdiction only within it's own regional territory, with Canada as the international representative and ultimate law maker.

[offtopic]
The Conservatives have coined quebec to be "A Nation within a Nation" - which caused jokes to arise across various newsmedia, like The Mercer Report. I believe he did a "Rant" about it, questioning what would the canadian natives in Quebec be...
A Nation within a nation within a nation...

[EDIT]
Other political satire arose during many of Quebec's separtist "almost-movements", like not letting them use the Canadian Dollar, or how the Natives ("Indians") would reclaim their land once Federal Treaties and Agreements were effectively dissolved due to Quebec being its own nation.

Not that maybe anyone cares, ... so anyways :)

Also does anyone know if Colonization will only be about the Americas but also the rest of the world?

Since it looks to be a remake of the original, then it will only be about the Americas. The Atlantic Seaboard to be precise. In the original the Caribbean or South America wasn't really included. IIRC, it only went as far as Florida, with maybe just a little bit of the South American coast. And to the West I think it only went as far as the Mississippi River, though my memory is a bit vague on that. Hopefully they'll expand the area this time to at least include Brazil and maybe the Caribbean.

But along with the different language and culture there has to be political autonomy, the ability to deal directly with the other nations of the world and to form it's own laws. Quebec has never had that. It has jurisdiction only within it's own regional territory, with Canada as the international representative and ultimate law maker.

You don't have to be a state to be a Nation.

Since it looks to be a remake of the original, then it will only be about the Americas. The Atlantic Seaboard to be precise. In the original the Caribbean or South America wasn't really included. IIRC, it only went as far as Florida, with maybe just a little bit of the South American coast. And to the West I think it only went as far as the Mississippi River, though my memory is a bit vague on that. Hopefully they'll expand the area this time to at least include Brazil and maybe the Caribbean.

No, it went all the way south to the Falklands and as far north as Seattle/Vancouver.

EDIT: Actually, it must've been higher than that, because the Hudson Bay was included.

You don't have to be a state to be a Nation.

Semantics. The two are usually considered the same thing. From Dictionary.com:

na·tion [ney-shuhn]
–noun 1. a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

That sounds like a state to me.

I never played the original, but I'd think it would be cool if the game had map options like CIV IV, where "Huge" would include all of North America + outlying Atlantic & Pacific islands.

No, it went all the way south to the Falklands and as far north as Seattle/Vancouver.

EDIT: Actually, it must've been higher than that, because the Hudson Bay was included.

Is that so? Like I said, my memory is rather vague on the game, it's been quite awhile. I don't remember it being that big. I guess maybe since I always played the Dutch I never ended up anywhere else but the East Coast.

Semantics. The two are usually considered the same thing. From Dictionary.com:

na·tion [ney-shuhn]
–noun 1. a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

That sounds like a state to me.

Territory doesn't necessarily mean state. i agree with the "that is sufficiently conscious of it's unity" part. The second part is where dictionary.com is wrong. A nation doesn't need to seek self-govorning to be a nation. For example, here in Poland, Silesia. Silesian, i being one of them, are a seperate group of people from poles (even though we are culturally very similar to Polish, and linguistically more of a polish accent), we are in a way a nation seperate from Poland, but we don't seek independence or anything.

Top Bottom