Nationalities of Crusaders?

jeriko one

Exalted Fleetlord
I know that German, English,French,Italian,Spanish knights joined the Crusades but were there other knights from different countries?

Not certain but I would assume so.

Knights from all the Catholic countries did take part in atleast one of the crusades. Orders like the Knights Templar and the Hospitalers were all over europe.

Originally posted by jeriko one
I know that German, English,French,Italian,Spanish knights joined the Crusades but were there other knights from different countries?

The biggest group you didn't mention were the Flemings. All countries in Western Christiandom will have sent some men. The Portuguese (one of the most important Crusader achievements was the capture of Lisbon from the Moors), Bretons, Scots, Czechs; but I don't know about the Scandinavians. Of course, the biggest single group were the Normans, the Germanic style warlords of northern France, England and Sicily.

In every crusade there were a number of dutch. The Frisians made themselves famous in I think the 5th crusade....at least in one where Egypt was attacked. I think...

There certainly were Swedes. Jan Guillou wrote some books about a Swedish crusader, and I would be very surprised if there were no Danes (/Norwegians).

Originally posted by insurgent
There certainly were Swedes. Jan Guillou wrote some books about a Swedish crusader, and I would be very surprised if there were no Danes (/Norwegians).

yeah i read these books too.

Not that his books would ever be based on facts ;)

yes, very true. The Belgians had a very big role in the crusades, although I think the Wallonians are counted to the French cuz I only read a lot about Flanders.

Originally posted by calgacus

The biggest group you didn't mention were the Flemings. All countries in Western Christiandom will have sent some men. The Portuguese (one of the most important Crusader achievements was the capture of Lisbon from the Moors), Bretons, Scots, Czechs; but I don't know about the Scandinavians. Of course, the biggest single group were the Normans, the Germanic style warlords of northern France, England and Sicily.

The British captured Lisbon from the moors after the British crusaders stopped of in Lisbon

Originally posted by redtom

The British captured Lisbon from the moors after the British crusaders stopped of in Lisbon

The british and others helped the capture of Lisbon from the moors.

Most famous is the young war king of Norway, Sigurd Jorsala farare (Jerusalem traveller). He helpt capturing coastal cities after the first crusade and smashed a few saracen fleets with his longships.

Many crusades were also directed towards the baltic states, Finland, Lithuania and Russia. Swedes and Danes were heavily involved in this.

And a bit later both some of the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians took part in the Great Crusade against Communist Russia, 1941 - 1945;)

yes, we flemish guys went out in numbers to go on the crusades.

but one remark:
there were no Germans, French, Belgian ....going to war, nationalism didn't exist back then...

Well most countries would have had some involvement. I know some Welsh went, though nothing major. Though saying that, a king of ours did fight in them.

Originally posted by Ossric

but one remark:
there were no Germans, French, Belgian ....going to war, nationalism didn't exist back then...

A fine point.

Originally posted by ZultanofZex
And a bit later both some of the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians took part in the Great Crusade against Communist Russia, 1941 - 1945;)

Wiking and Nordland...both elite against the Red Menace :evil: :D ;)

Originally posted by Ossric

but one remark:

That's not true. French and Germans are frequently identified by nationality - as are Iberians, Irishmen, Scotsman, Welshmen (and Cornishmen), Italians and Greeks. There are no Belgians of course, because Belgium was an invention of the 19th century. There, you are indeed right! :p

Top Bottom