Current (SVN) development discussion thread

On Epic speed, the third Chinese UHV counts each golden age as 15 turns. This is somewhat problematic, as GP Golden Ages are only 10 turns.

Edit: Also, shouldn't Roman cities in Egypt flip to the Byzantines?

Should count them as twelve ... I'll check it.

Edit: I don't know what you mean. In the display the number of golden age turns you had is divided by (8 * [game speed multiplier]), which is 8 * 1.5 = 12 for Epic. All other checks work with the total number of turns which is 32 * 1.5 = 48 = 4 * 12.

And didn't the Roman cities in Egypt flip? I've tested it a couple of times and it always worked.

Edit: I don't know what you mean. In the display the number of golden age turns you had is divided by (8 * [game speed multiplier]), which is 8 * 1.5 = 12 for Epic. All other checks work with the total number of turns which is 32 * 1.5 = 48 = 4 * 12.

And didn't the Roman cities in Egypt flip? I've tested it a couple of times and it always worked.

So if I have Mauseleum of Mausullos, do I need only 3 GA (3*8*1.5*gamespeed) actually?

Well, 12 makes sense. I only guessed 15 because I checked it on the 18th turn of golden age, and I assuned 15 (I thought normal was 10, haven't played on it for too long). And I'm quite sure that the Roman cities in Egypt didn't flip. This revision was from a couple of days ago, but I don't think you changed anything about it.

Edit: All golden ages in Epic speed are 10 turns. This basically means that you have to start 5 golden ages for the 3rd UHV goal.

So if I have Mauseleum of Mausullos, do I need only 3 GA (3*8*1.5*gamespeed) actually?
Yes.

Well, 12 makes sense. I only guessed 15 because I checked it on the 18th turn of golden age, and I assuned 15 (I thought normal was 10, haven't played on it for too long). And I'm quite sure that the Roman cities in Egypt didn't flip. This revision was from a couple of days ago, but I don't think you changed anything about it.

Edit: All golden ages in Epic speed are 10 turns. This basically means that you have to start 5 golden ages for the 3rd UHV goal.
Byzantium is intended to flip Roman cities in Egypt since 1.9 at least.

And ten turns, really? Now that's not fair.

Edit: I checked the gamespeed files, Epic only had +25% GA length and Marathon only +100%. I increased both to the game length scaling which is only fair, because afaik slower game speed doesn't provide more opportunities to start GAs.

Could you put AI Spain's incentive to go attack Qurtuba (and unify Iberia) a lot higher. The last couple Portugal starts they have been at peace with the Moors and even attacking Italy, seeming happy to just let the Moors be for peace. I think unifying Iberia (maybe except for Portugal to keep AI Portugal alive) should be higher on Spain's priority list than capturing Rome.

I know you have done a lot in this area and I sound like I keep complaining, but it has really bugged me to see Qurtuba not captured by Spain until the 1700s, if ever.

Also on that note, Moors should be more wonder-happy and less unit-happy. On my Portugal starts, they either will have 7 city-defense longbowmen in Qurtuba or 5 Heavy swordsmen (usually promoted against melee and archery units running around southern Iberia).

Also this is what I mean when I say the AI needs to go back to building more missionaries:
Spoiler :

Moors should not let Taoism into their cities.

Also on that note, indie Kiev should start Orthodox so that it does not get Buddhism or even Hinduism.

Do you mean more missionaries or more persecution?

Orthodox Kiev is a good idea.

I'll address Iberia soon. Less units, more wonders is what I had in mind for the Moors too. Maybe I'll even script a war around the 1200s.

Maybe I'll even script a war around the 1200s.

Maybe a little deterministic though isn't it? Just an opinion, cos the what if aspects are what makes this mod stand out!

Yes, but for what happens if this war for Iberia doesn't happen tends to be far worse. Imagine AI Portugal about 10% land away from domination victory.

I agree. I think letting Spain try to kick the Moors out of Iberia should be within the bounds of appropriate determinism.

Yes, or the Moors to Spain as well. It is sort of like the Germany/Prussia situation. Someone should win and it should be a certain civilization 85-95% of the time

Yes, but for what happens if this war for Iberia doesn't happen tends to be far worse. Imagine AI Portugal about 10% land away from domination victory.

True true, its a tricky thing getting the balance right isn't it between the freedom for civs to expand with some interesting unexpected results and then them not expanding enough. The Germany/Prussia example seems pretty apt.

I agree. I think letting Spain try to kick the Moors out of Iberia should be within the bounds of appropriate determinism.
Yep (now all we need is a dead Charlton Heston strapped to a horse!)

Now that Netherlands has the later start date, could there be a nicer way to play as Iran?

Impis are still attacking the Middle-East.
Please fix this,they are really a pain in the but.

Not really if you mean Egypt. An effective road system and some axemen should be enough.

Now that Netherlands has the later start date, could there be a nicer way to play as Iran?
I can't think of a good way to achieve that. I know it's not optimal.

The 720 start for Spain may be making the Moors hoard units for a potential war and the AI Spain not tech to where they need to be to do the Reconquista. Any chance of changing the Spain start back to a bit later and starting them with more techs and units?
The Moors seemed to be more of builders and Spain more Reconquista happy back when this was the case.

Can anybody redirect me to a guide/thread that shows you how to decent research technologies when playing as China?
I am always miles behind most civilizations.
(3000 BC start)

I just discovered that if you save a game when a civ is spawning and then load the game, the new civ doesn't flip any city!
Happened while playing tibet at the mughal spawn and playng as rome at byzantine spawn!

Top Bottom