Scramble for africa on deity

Maybe he used internal food caravans, you don't need to take any cities but you will have to be a more eloquent negotiator than I will ever be apparently. I played again to see and I managed to get Egypt to dow Ethiopia but Portugal refused and it just turned into a huge melee.

The calvalry are used to take cities not as scouts, they can take a city and get out the same turn, no other unit can do this unless they have double strike which they won't until late game.

Well you did said to use cavalry to see city ;) But there was no need for that,but still it could be useful for safe re-taking of capetown.Also i find it strange why do you even propose to get dow from egypt to ethiopia as egypt is overrun by italy and that would be waste of bribe,as they would never be able attack ethiopia.

Tried today again,though how i cannot even finish it due constant dow from portugal/england,till i loaded other save where i got dow from all other 4 european civs bu not from portugal/england(seems that was a trick to avoid it) :D But as a result since i got attacked by navy from 4 civs,had to give away both capetown and port elizabeth.I gave capetown to portugal and port elizabeth to ethiopia(i know it i going to lose so didnt matter).I noticed one funny thing:since i had units in port elizabeth which i gave to Ethiopia,and had open border with Ethiopia,they stayed in,and when portugal start to attack city,they couldn't take it due my units inside.
Also i figured out how does Dow system works -
First,there are no diplomatic pluses and minuses,you can have tons of plus yes get dow anyway,or tons of minuses yet not getting ever.
Second,it relies on when one of civs get destroyed,for example once egypt get destroyed ,next turn you get immediate dow from 2 civs,and then after then turn(or two)from another two civs.And those dows are completely random,no rule who is gonna do it first/last(but most common was germany/belgium combo first).So you could abuse this by making a city inside your territory,give it to Egypt,so the other civs cant reach it and then you would not get Dow from anyone till end of game :)

If i had 9000 points like ggmoyang had i would won but how he managed that i really cant figure out.

After banging my head against a wall as the Boers, I wanted an easy one so I figured I'd knock Ethiopia out of the way. First game I got DoW'ed by Portugal on turn 25, they wouldn't make peace even after 20 turns and Germany DoW'ed me also and was just showing up by that time so I quit. Second game Belgium and Portugal DoW'ed me at turn 40 and I was playing way too greedily to survive. The third time I spawned, I ended up really close to the coast and decided that I would take one coastal city.

I took one of Italy's settlers around turn 12 and I was able to make peace with him with no shots fired. No one else DoW'ed me till turn 40, and that was England. I took out the city they had settled on the coast up by me, traded ships evenly with them, and made peace without anything lost. I also sold the city to Egypt. Germany DoW'ed me around turn 55, right before I made peace with England. Right as I'm about to take out the closest city to my capital, Belgium joins the war. Belgium has some cities right by where I'm fighting, so I'm getting a bit nervous now. I take the German city and again sell it to Egypt. Germany takes it back in two turns but hey, not my loss. I placed two citadels down there so I could break they city and they proved to be extremely useful.

By the time the Belgians are reaching my boarder, Portugal joins the war. My GPT is insane between giving Egypt two cities and having 4 cargo ships and 3 caravans, plus my cities are all pretty well built and I've been cranking out units nonstop since England first DoW'ed me. I think it was 600 at one point?

Initially I think that I can hold my coastal city. I've got five ships that can shoot on land, it's surrounded by hills, and I have a lot of reinforcements coming. Things were going fine until I saw Portugal's 20 ship navy, and I knew that city was a lost cause. I made/purchased as many Mehal Safari and Rifled cannons as I could and set up a defensive formation around my city. My capital had mountains covering the entire area behind it, and my other city to the North was covered by Egypt (thanks for not helping me out at all...) and the coast. Basically I made a ring of cannons with Mehal Safari in front of them and blew up whatever units they threw at me for the last 30 turns of the game. My double citadels down by that German town and the Mehal Safari in them had to have gotten 15 kills on their own just wearing down everything that tried to pass through.

By the end of the game literally everyone that I had met besides Egypt was at war with me. I thought I might lose when I had 3 European civs at war with me but my capital was in a fantastic location and by the time Portugal went on the attack again I had too many units to be broken by anyone's army.

Attachments

• 2013-08-09_00002.jpg
    2013-08-09_00002.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 2013-08-09_00003.jpg
    2013-08-09_00003.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 405
After banging my head against a wall as the Boers, I wanted an easy one so I figured I'd knock Ethiopia out of the way. First game I got DoW'ed by Portugal on turn 25, they wouldn't make peace even after 20 turns and Germany DoW'ed me also and was just showing up by that time so I quit. Second game Belgium and Portugal DoW'ed me at turn 40 and I was playing way too greedily to survive. The third time I spawned, I ended up really close to the coast and decided that I would take one coastal city.

I took one of Italy's settlers around turn 12 and I was able to make peace with him with no shots fired. No one else DoW'ed me till turn 40, and that was England. I took out the city they had settled on the coast up by me, traded ships evenly with them, and made peace without anything lost. I also sold the city to Egypt. Germany DoW'ed me around turn 55, right before I made peace with England. Right as I'm about to take out the closest city to my capital, Belgium joins the war. Belgium has some cities right by where I'm fighting, so I'm getting a bit nervous now. I take the German city and again sell it to Egypt. Germany takes it back in two turns but hey, not my loss. I placed two citadels down there so I could break they city and they proved to be extremely useful.

By the time the Belgians are reaching my boarder, Portugal joins the war. My GPT is insane between giving Egypt two cities and having 4 cargo ships and 3 caravans, plus my cities are all pretty well built and I've been cranking out units nonstop since England first DoW'ed me. I think it was 600 at one point?

Initially I think that I can hold my coastal city. I've got five ships that can shoot on land, it's surrounded by hills, and I have a lot of reinforcements coming. Things were going fine until I saw Portugal's 20 ship navy, and I knew that city was a lost cause. I made/purchased as many Mehal Safari and Rifled cannons as I could and set up a defensive formation around my city. My capital had mountains covering the entire area behind it, and my other city to the North was covered by Egypt (thanks for not helping me out at all...) and the coast. Basically I made a ring of cannons with Mehal Safari in front of them and blew up whatever units they threw at me for the last 30 turns of the game. My double citadels down by that German town and the Mehal Safari in them had to have gotten 15 kills on their own just wearing down everything that tried to pass through.

By the end of the game literally everyone that I had met besides Egypt was at war with me. I thought I might lose when I had 3 European civs at war with me but my capital was in a fantastic location and by the time Portugal went on the attack again I had too many units to be broken by anyone's army.
So basicly,when you play as Ethiopia,everyvone dow it,but when ai plays as Ethiopia,nobody bats a eye :lol:

So which of the civs are challenging and worth a play/video?

Zulu, Boers, Morocco, and the Ottomans are all pretty difficult. I'm still not even sure of a general strategy for how to win as the latter two. I haven't tried Egypt yet.

We have a winner!Yikes,3 weeks to accomplish this,i wonder how long it will take for ottoman achievement.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 571
This is a guy who started building a worker on Boer Deity I wouldn't ask him for advice :D

How I dealt with Portugal is grovel at their feet until you take out England and Germany. If they DoW you earlier than you are ready then reload as they will 300 vs jerksies you, sure you'll kill a million but there will be 50 million waiting to swarm in and eventually they will find a crack, then there's the cannons... Once you have those coastal cities and a nice navy of Privateers and captured English and German ships you can manhandle them.

Another reason you don't want to DoW Portugal is that they are the only real threat from the south to Ethiopia and really their only direct threat. Italy hates them but has to go through Ottomans AND Egypt to start whacking at them which takes about 60 turns. So you don't want Portugal sending all it's troops your way and leaving Ethiopia to run wild.

There is another enemy to the west of Ethiopia that you may never meet which also hate them but he is very weak I can't even remember his name.

I in my game I did take 4 Portugal cities but I it was more for fun than points, you don't get much from con-questing to far out, keep rotating and healing your troops.

This would be a really good scenario achievement if it was a close game every time, but it's not. Most every game you will have 1 guy up north beat everyone else by 2-3k that is simply poor deity design.

You DO REALIZE that Madjinn was hire by the devs as a play tester and has beaten the scenarios right? That is why everyone was laughing at you...

I thought you picked up on it at first but then you kept doing posts like this so wasn't sure...

Hmm something is weird when playing with ottomans-i killed like billions of units,i think i breached my own unit kill record in one game,earned tons of gold as well,but i barely have 700 points. Shouldn't points go same way as they go with culture when playing with boer?

Hmm something is weird when playing with ottomans-i killed like billions of units,i think i breached my own unit kill record in one game,earned tons of gold as well,but i barely have 700 points. Shouldn't points go same way as they go with culture when playing with boer?

Someone mentioned somewhere that there might be a glitch with gold from kills not counting for points. Not sure if that's true or not, but either way I'm going to wait a while just in case before attempting North Africans on deity.

Someone mentioned somewhere that there might be a glitch with gold from kills not counting for points. Not sure if that's true or not, but either way I'm going to wait a while just in case before attempting North Africans on deity.

Well obviously it is a glitch, since on turn 70 i had only 700 points yet i was killing like 3/4 units per turn.Plus it seems you get much less points compared to when playing with culture score,i guess that is because you can get more gold per turn then culture per turn but still its sucks.Well i am going to try to finish it anyway.

Just finished with 3500 points missing for win,i think i could win if i took offer of egypt to declare dual dow on Ethiopia but didn't took as i needed Ethiopia at that time plus i think i gave a city or two toomuch to Egypt,while they gave me +400 per turn for it,it is possible how i would get more score with keeping cities.But at least i owned england/portugal/france on coast,which was quite easy with fleet. And on last few turn all european civs wanted peace and willing to pay for it(but just with gold and nothing else).I also got map with close coal and iron to border,with 2 luxuries inside borders,and also natural wonder all on right side.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 369
Finaly won it,here is screenshot and first run save game.
I'l write later guide for both boers and ottomans.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0009.jpg
    Civ5Screen0009.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 512
  • AutoSave_0000 AD-1881-January.Civ5Save
    611.8 KB · Views: 145
Any tips on these? I'm trying out the save posted here, but I keep getting ganged up upon by the Zulu, English and often Germans and Portuguese almost from turn 1.

Top Bottom