City of Wonders

PeterDR

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I just would like to share my most amazing conquest I've had since the early days of Civilization I. In Deity I still have the bad habit to try and build some wonders, most of them failing miserably, usually 1-2 turns before finishing.

With great jealousy I saw the Shoshone spamming one world wonder after another. I couldn't help to stare at his capital Moson Kahni, thereby completely neglecting the beauty of my own capital.

I...just...had...to have it. Now! I guess Cyrus II had the same feeling when he conquered Babylon. Anyway, the perfect opportunity came when Isabelle asked me to join a war against the Shoshone.

Sure enough, I let Isabella take all the big hits, while sneaking behind enemy lines. Suddenly, the city of my dreams was within a 1-day march. I took the city by suprise and was shocked when I came to notice Moson Kahni far surpassed my wildest dreams.

I just conquered a city with more Wonders than buildings. At turn 135 I conquered this city and it had a staggering amount of 15... 15! wonders. Pretty much all the wonders that were available by that age and time.

Anyway, do you guys have some great memories about conquering a particular city?

Well in the game I'm playing I'm going for domination, it's starting to get a bit late in the Modern era so it's high time for the final push to get the last two capitals.

The advance on England is hell though, because Elizabeth has some giant stacks of bombers and triplanes guarding the mountain pass, making it very difficult to even advance my artillery in range of her cities.

But before declaring war I noticed that every turn, Elizabeth was moving all her plans back and forth between her big city on the one side of the mountains and puny Oxford on the other side. Not sure why, but every turn, back and forth. So of course I positioned all my troops very carefully around the border, waited for the planes to move to Oxford and then unleashed my hordes. It was a master stroke for the war effort, 20 planes destroyed in an instant!

So I guess my great memories are not of the wondrous cities I conquer but of the burning ruins of my enemies. :)

As Portugal I got boxed in by Shoshone (seems to be a pattern here) and Brazil to the south. I made a decent sized army but then saw the graphic in the bottom right corner "the Shoshone have built the Great Wall!" which made me question if I would be able to do anything until I saw the graphic that said "the Shoshone have declared war on Russia!" Using their war as a cover I took my platoon of 4 composite bows, 2 catapults and 2 swordsmen and barely took out a border city, then immediately sued for peace, trying to think how I would ever take out the capital. Then Askia asked if I would help him against the Shoshone - I told him 10 turns and I upgraded my army to crossbows, trebuchets and longswords. Askia was just waisting his mandekalu calvary, but I was conservative with my push and made sure that my longswords surrounded the city while my crossbows and trebuchets laid waste, and I finally took the city! Askia tried to backstab me after that, but by that time my economy was booming and I was able to purchase whatever I needed for defense.

20 planes down? That had to be her entire air force!

I recall playing on a TSL mod of Europe as Carthage with a classical era tech stop mod as well. Rome and I were never on good terms and after years of putting up with his taunts, I amassed an army of forest elephants, swordsmen and catapults and a fleet of quinquerimes that blasted through the Italian pennisula, burning city after city save for Rome. Most of the army moved north from Sicily but some had landed in Croatia, moved north, then west and surprised Roman Venice from the Alps.

Austria soon denounced me, spurring me to punish them. However, Austria was mighty and in posession of The Great Wall. Taking an Austrian city would be nearly impossible. Undaunted, I regrouped in Venice and launched my hordes of forest elephants, swordsmen and catapults at Vienna's gates from the mountains, outflanking their forces east of Venice. The countryside was pillaged, fields salted and mines collapsed. Rivers ran red with blood, valleys were filled with graves and plumetting morale nearly forced me to lift the siege. Finally, Vienna fell and my elephants entered its streets in triumph. In exchange for peace, Maria offered three cities whch I promptly burned. Casualties were high and my nation nearly descended into coil war nut it was so worth it. The whole process was glorious and created a power vacuum in Central Europe and solidified Carthage as the strongest civ out there.

I was playing Zulu in a standard Pangaea on king difficulty. After getting the capitals of two other civs I decided to target England next, because she had no military. She was not really that much of a powerhouse, but then she suddenly spammed wonders like there was no tomorrow. Of course I had to DoW her. :D
The funniest part was when I brought London to a sliver of health, then it finishes the Forbidden Palace. :goodjob:
I had gotten the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Globe Theatre, Forbidden Palace, Great Lighthouse and the Temple of Artemis at the end of the war. I tried to aim for an autocratic culture victory after that, but Greece simply bought of the city states and it was game over (that, and he produced an obscenely high amount of culture).

Ramesses took a lot of wonders. Pretty much everything I failed to get.

Too bad his capital was coastal, and I was Venice. Great Galeasses soon came and (gale)assisted me in ensuring the thing.

Other time it was similiar and also as Venice. Ramesses with most of the wonders running away. I paid Ramesses on another continent to declare war on my allies Shaka and Maria I. He quickly annihilated Shaka, and reduced Maria in size while I quickly attacked him from behind, swiftly taking Thebes.

I like having Egypt as a neighbor when I play a militaristic civ because I know their early game is all about building wonders and not archers.

Top Bottom