DX11? or a different issue?

kakahass

Chieftain
I have a few problems, when the game starts on either dx 9 or 10/11 the movie in the start does not play in its entirety, and i can't get out of it either.

The second problem that I have (i've only tried dx9 once and this didn't happen) is that when it starts the game screen goes to the bottom right corner and i can't do anything until the movie at the start stops playing then it goes full screen when the game menue comes up.

The 3rd and most important problem i've had - and the game was running fine on dx10 was that all of a sudden, the screen zooms itself out and all these weird distorted visuals come up that block my view of the top of the screen. Now i have no idea was caused this- but i just want to go back to my game after spending like 4 hours!!!!

Welcome to CFC :).

Please provide your system infos, maybe there's something going wrong there.

@#1: Did you try to disable the opening movie?

@#2: Might probably be solved with #1.

@#3: How are your graphics settings (there we also need the system infos)?

I've already disabled the movie- but the graphics glitches still persist- what I have been doing to keep on playing is whenever the graphics mess up I restart my PC, and restart the game and load from the closest autosave. This sometimes works and then I can go on for 10-40 turns and then it happens again.
This started happening at turns 210.

system specs:
intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz
4gb ram ddr
nvidia i think 8600GT its 256ram ddr

I know the system is old but the thing is it runs the game fine! except when these graphic glitches happen...

cheers 4 the help mate!

Sounds more like a hardware problem. Could you provide a screenshot of the glitch?

Nevertheless, the first step should be updating the video driver to the latest version.

If the problem persists the next idea would be a countercheck with Furmark. If that one is acting up, too, then it is most likely faulty hardware.

A workaround might be lowering the video settings and/or trying DX9 mode.

I have the same issue running 8600gts with 260.99 drivers dx11 I get weird graphics hard to explain but lots of diagonal lines at certain point into the game. works find with with dx9

"Officially" only the mobile parts were affected. There were rumours that the 8800GTX had an abnormal high failure rate, too, but AFAIK there is no indication that the desktop 8600s have a manufacturing problem.

BUT, from reports here and over ath the 2K forums, it looks like the desktop 8800/8600s tend to run VERY hot in Civ5 DX10/11 mode.

My personal hypothesis:
Those were the first nVidia chips where the design was really optimized for high shader throughput rather than high fillrate. But at the time those chips came around, almost no software was really stressing those shader units. Those are "mainstream"-class cards, accordingly they are manufactured rather cheaply, and the standard cooling solutions have little headroom. Civ5 is one of first "true" DX11 games and probably is extremely shader-heavy compared to older games; accordingly those cards are stressed like never before :nuke:

Top Bottom