Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

What exactly is a "skirmish defender?" I've heard the term mentioned here several times and don't quite see what these units are meant to do. Especially when referencing catapults, which are anything but defensive.

What exactly is a "skirmish defender?" I've heard the term mentioned here several times and don't quite see what these units are meant to do. Especially when referencing catapults, which are anything but defensive.

Offering a guess here but I'm thinking they mean to pack in a decent defensive unit/army in the stack so that if the enemies try to attack your OFFENSIVE STACK OF DEATH you'll at least have some decent defensive strength (something I recently spaced on big time with my ULTRA PROMOTED Cannon I received from the Knights of the Templar Artifact as I left it all alone parked outside of my opponent's city).

It is when you station a catapult/cannon/artillery in one of your cities or other places that you want to defend. When an attacking unit comes close to your city you attack instead of waiting to be attacked. This is an especially beneficial strategy with the abovementioned units because they don´t automatically move into the square they attacked, they stay in the square they attacked from so they will not be open for undefended counterattacks "in the open". If you e.g., use the same strategy with a horseman you will find the horseman entering the square you attacked (after a win) and quite often it will be attacked a round later by nearby enemies.

It is when you station a catapult/cannon/artillery in one of your cities or other places that you want to defend. When an attacking unit comes close to your city you attack instead of waiting to be attacked. This is an especially beneficial strategy with the abovementioned units because they don´t automatically move into the square they attacked, they stay in the square they attacked from so they will not be open for undefended counterattacks "in the open". If you e.g., use the same strategy with a horseman you will find the horseman entering the square you attacked (after a win) and quite often it will be attacked a round later by nearby enemies.

Okay, there you go, being PROACTIVE and smacking them before they attempt to invade, very clever (still new to the CivRev tactics here myself).

On that note, however, what is the word on the street about the new 1.3 AI?

-Can AIs now carry on REAL wars with one another?

-Can the AI send spies now to do ANYTHING other than "knock down fortifications"?

Skrimish defending is most helpful because A1's rerely defend there offensive armies with archers so it is easier to attack the offensive armies who have lower defensive ratings.

in a lot of threads i see standing DLC but what does DLC stand for?

in a lot of threads i see standing DLC but what does DLC stand for?

Downloadable Content, like the bonus maps and scenarios on the 360 and PS3 versions.

I myself was a bit disappointed once I realized most of the maps in these packs are not like PC Civ Map Scripts (parameters for random map creation) but simply fixed maps (although the resources and barbarian placements are still randomized).

How do I build fish boat, my technology is the middle paty around education and I believe I have fishing already(its green). I know a work boat is required to build a fish boat. I tried put a worker on it while on the sea but it does work and I also tried moving it back to the city and still no fish boat option. Why?

How do I build fish boat, my technology is the middle paty around education and I believe I have fishing already(its green). I know a work boat is required to build a fish boat. I tried put a worker on it while on the sea but it does work and I also tried moving it back to the city and still no fish boat option. Why?

Hi Iamsevenup, you will need to post this question in another forum. This is a forum for Civilization Revolution, and in that game you don't build/buy fish boats.

iamsevenup:
Work boats can automatically build fishing boats, you do not need to put workers on them to do so.
If that doesn't answer your question, fishing boats are available once you discover fishing.
And if that doesn't help you, post in the right forum :)

There are 4 icons on the Single Player Mode Leader Selection screen which correspond to the 4 types of victories I'm assuming. Some are greyed out, some are outlined, and some are completely filled in gold. Anyone know what they are or represent?

Thanks in advance!

There are 4 icons on the Single Player Mode Leader Selection screen which correspond to the 4 types of victories I'm assuming. Some are greyed out, some are outlined, and some are completely filled in gold. Anyone know what they are or represent?

Thanks in advance!

You are right, the four medals represents the four victory types.
The colors of the medals show which victories you have completed and at what level.
Grey = not won
Bronze = Chieftain --> Gold = Deity

In addition, if you haven't noticed, you will also see the faces of the leaders in different colors.
Not even present = you haven't met them in a SP game
Grey = Haven't won
Bronze = won on chieftain --> Gold = won on deity

Hope this straightened out your question marks.

You are right, the four medals represents the four victory types.
The colors of the medals show which victories you have completed and at what level.
Grey = not won
Bronze = Chieftain --> Gold = Deity

In addition, if you haven't noticed, you will also see the faces of the leaders in different colors.
Not even present = you haven't met them in a SP game
Grey = Haven't won
Bronze = won on chieftain --> Gold = won on deity

Hope this straightened out your question marks.

I was playing on DS Wireless showing a friend who was new to the series which leader had what bonus, etc. He's the one that actually point it out.

So I check on all the difficulty levels and it has English with a Gold Culture medal on Deity, but I haven't play with the English on Deity :confused:

Maybe I'm just hallucinating? In any case, thanks for the help and the quick response :king:

I was playing on DS Wireless showing a friend who was new to the series which leader had what bonus, etc. He's the one that actually point it out.

So I check on all the difficulty levels and it has English with a Gold Culture medal on Deity, but I haven't play with the English on Deity :confused:

Maybe I'm just hallucinating? In any case, thanks for the help and the quick response :king:

You might think it is gold, but it is perhaps Bronze. Shiny but brownish in color. If not, it must be a glitch. :)

You might think it is gold, but it is perhaps Bronze. Shiny but brownish in color. If not, it must be a glitch. :)

No, it was gold, but after playing a few SP games, everything is back to as it should be. Figured it must've been a glitch with the DS Wireless play. Thanks again for the help! :)

Hi, Civfanatics.
- :)

Could someone tell me what creates Culture? I'm playing on the DS as Saladin of the Arabs, I've reached the Medieval Era, and all my Cities are generating 1 Culture each (except the capital, which is producing 21 Culture, mostly due to the Palace, the Great Pyramid, and a Great Person being Settled there) - just wondering where that comes from, considering some of those Cities have nothing but a Temple and I'm running Communism.

EDIT: Hmm...could it be because the Arabs start with knowledge of Religion, and hence get the 'discovered it first' bonus? Which would mean I've managed to not spot that Culture bonus up until 1100 AD, or thereabouts.
- :o

apart from temples, Cathedrals and Wonders, you can get culture bonuses from some first tech bonuses, i think.

Thank you.
- :)

There's also the Palace, right, and do Great People give Culture? Also, is there a list somewhere of how much Culture Wonders give?

Religion and Printing Press give +1 culture each if you're the first to research it.

wonders give +3 culture just by themselves, even if they are obsoleted.
Wonders like Shakespear theater and Magna Carta also increase culure, Magna Carta basically makes courthouses work in the same way as temples (+1 culture per pop), and shakespeare's theater doubles culture in a city.

Great People also add +2 culture alone, and great artist add an additional +50%.

Monarchy as a government gives double culture in you're capital.

Shooting the nuke will decrease your culture unless you are depotism as government.

The ultimate is to have a Great Artist, Cathederal, Shakespear's Theatre, Magna Carta, a bunch of wonders, and have Monarchy as governement with a 31 pop in your capital.

I know I've had over +200 culture in a city, and I know it could've been even higher. But I usually don't put a priority on culture, it's usually just a nice bonus that snowballs and becomes powerful.

Top Bottom