War of the Spanish Succession

Alright, given that lining up the dimensions of the two maps I'd need for this idea doesn't seem to be in the cards at this time, as I can't get the MapEdit utility by Carl Fritz to work on my computer (and Catfish just recently confirmed that it WON'T work on a 64-bit machine, and I don't own an older machine or older OS on an HD partition), no one else seems to be able to get it to run on their computers, or even have said utility, or, if their are those who can, they haven't offered aid or read this thread, and, I have no skill whatsoever in designing historical maps from scratch. So, I really have two options here. Either, I go big and use a single very large map that I THINK I possess that covers all of Europe, parts of North Africa and the Middle East, as well as the Urals and Central Russian Steppe, most of the North Atlantic, and a big chunk of Western North America, and just combine the War of the Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War into one big scenario. With the new units cap and bigger events capacity, it SHOULD be possible. The issue would then be how to divide all of those warring nations into seven workable civ's, only using barbarians where such a role is optimal, and, who, then, would be the protagonist player. The second option is just to put this on the backburner to approach at a more opportune time (like Fall Gelb) and move on to my Plan C. I plan to make a decision on the weekend, but until then, I'm open to suggestions.

Don't want to add to the confusion here, but I'm fairly sure that MapEdit, by Mercator is written in VB6 (32-bit), and will run fine on Windows 8.1 64-bit. The utilities by Carl Fritz (such as CivCity etc.) are written in VB3 (16-bit), and therefore will not.

Someone should probably make a list. :p

The MapEdit utility won't work on my computer and gets roughly the same message for why as Carl Fritz's ultilities (technobabble to me, essentially, but a very similar message), so I just assumed it was one of his. It might be Mercator's, but it still won't run on my machine is the thing.

What message would that be?

The error message is, "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." That's the message I get when I activate MapEdit in my computer.

Just confirmed it actually works on Windows 8.1. I noticed that COMDLG32.OCX is distributed with the MapEdit installer, so your best bet is to reinstall from here. If that fails, download the Microsoft VB6 update here (which contains COMDLG32.OCX amongst other files necessary to run VB6 applications).

That worked! Thank-you once again TNO! You've saved my scenario! I'm going to refuse to give my first-born a name in honour of all you've done for me and for Civ2... :lol:

Alright. Now that the map issue has been dealt with, are Civ2 Units' links on the first page enough to work with for Kolner units, fairline (or Tanelorn, or anyone who'd like to take a crack at them)? And, any luck on the Mantuan ones? For the time being, I'm starting on improvements and Wonders and which will be present in the scenario (and which city, in the case of Wonders), and what they'll actually be called. Out of curiosity, was the Versailles Palace completed by or during the War of the Spanish Succession to be eligible to be a Wonder in this scenario? I can't quite remember it's year of completion, except that it's construction was a big endeavor of Louis XIV.

Alright, now that the Korean War is released, there's no show of interest in my alternative near future scenario set (I can live it; I'm a thick-skinned big boy), and I feel a bit more finesse with the Lua language would benefit my plans regarding a Fall of Rome or Santa Ana scenario, as I would see both, I thought I'd finish this one off, as it had some support when first proposed (notably by Fairline, who seems a fan of the conflict), and with my main problems by simple ToTPP fixes. I'll just use placeholder units for the Kolner and Mantuan Infantry and Cavalry until someone can dig up what those units actually looked like. I'm hoping this scenario won't take too long to put, but also won't suffer in quality.

Top Bottom