Units

Due to our Arms Trade feature they will actually have many UUs they can distribute licenses for building them to other civs.

I'm confused as to exactly how we're going to actually make this work in the mod?...

My guess would be something like: A unique unit will require a certain tech for a certain civilization and then they will trade off that tech? I'm just confused, because this seems like a feature that would require SDK work (not even counting my guess as to whats happening...just in general) that no one really knows how to do?

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but exactly how is the Arms Trade feature going to be implemented?

I'm confused as to exactly how we're going to actually make this work in the mod?...

My guess would be something like: A unique unit will require a certain tech for a certain civilization and then they will trade off that tech? I'm just confused, because this seems like a feature that would require SDK work (not even counting my guess as to whats happening...just in general) that no one really knows how to do?

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but exactly how is the Arms Trade feature going to be implemented?

I'm guessing it would work kinda like the mercenaries feature in Rhyes and Fall, except, instead of trading actual units, you will be trading the rights to build those units.

You could just create a special resource that only that one civ has and make the unique unit require that resource.

Make Mech Infantry able to carry foot soldiers, as that is its primary goal, to transport infatry quickly. Also note its resemblance to the Stryker.

Make Mech Infantry able to carry foot soldiers, as that is its primary goal, to transport infatry quickly. Also note its resemblance to the Stryker.

Not happening because the AI does not know how to use this feature correctly, anywhere. There is one mod that has it incorporated, but it does not fully work correctly. When it does, it can be incorporated. Also:
I'm guessing it would work kinda like the mercenaries feature in Rhyes and Fall, except, instead of trading actual units, you will be trading the rights to build those units.
This can also not be implemented into the mod because no one can do it at this time. Until then, we are not using ANY mods except for what is included in RevDCM and using GEM map.
---------------------------------------------------

Next Topic:
As far as unit promotions. Is there a way we want to do this? Some countries, clearly, have better armies and more efficiently trained soldiers than other countries. Do we want to have certain countries with certain types of promotions?

For example (just a suggestion, and by no means scientific at this point):

USA - +10% strength, City Raider (that is what USA does, shock & awe attacks), as well as City Garrison (to defend hostile cities)

UK - ?
Others - ?

Thoughts and ideas more than welcome. Also what about experience points overall for certain civs?

The simple solution is to promote existing units as per current capabilities, but to give different rewards to different civs' barracks and call it 'British barracks', 'American barracks', Chinese barracks' etc. To seek to define promotions beforehand stifles gameplay choices for what is a game.

The likes of UK, Israel should have higher barracks points obviously than most- so say 'British barracks +5 exp, against an average of +2. Not all countries need a unique barracks unless the should deviate from this score. Also, some poor civs can actually have unique barracks that could be only say +1 exp.

In terms of particular countries, it is highly subjective and is going to be open to argument again and again. The UK for instance i would imagine should have not particularly high forces numbers, but very high promotions. In terms of quality of equipment the Americans should be the best by a long way - lots of modern armour etc, but perhaps not as highly promoted as the likes of UK, Israel. But moreso than China, Russia. But this is going to be very contentious.

I don't think that there should be Unique Barracks. After all it is not the nationality that makes the good military training but the military expense per unit. There could be different levels of barracks with rising xps. So a civ that is getting more developed can close the gap to more developed civs.

e.g.
Barracks Level 1:
+1 xp

Barracks Level 2:
Barracks Level 1 required
+2 xp
takes +100% hammers to build compared to level 1
replaces Barracks Level 1

Barracks Level 3:
Barracks Level 2 required
+3 xp
takes +200% hammers to build compared to level 1
replaces Barracks Level 2

and so on...

I agree with ianinsane the unique barracks wouldn't work all that well because the civ could never get better at military experience. The leveled barrcks would work because with the continous additon of work you could have buildings to build no matter what civ you are in the only bad thing is that they have to end relitavely quickly. If you let the barracks go on for to long this'll happen:

Level 1 +1 experience
Level 2 + 3 experience
Level 3 +6 experience
Level 4 +10 experience
Level 5 +15 experience
Level 6 +21 experience
and so on

As you can see very quickly this adds up to enormous amounts.
In some of the big production cities you could just pump some of these out while other ones would have to work for it extremely hard
This is my idea:

Level 1: +1 experience

Level 2: +2 experience including level one's
+50% production cost compared to level one

Level 3: +3 experience including level one and two's
+100% production cost compared to level one

Level 4: +4 experience including level one , two, and three's
+150% production cost compared to level one

and so on like that
This makes it a little easier to do because it has less production to do it so the little civs would eventually catch up. This also has a less addition so it doesn't add up so quickly.

This makes it a little easier to do because it has less production to do it so the little civs would eventually catch up. This also has a less addition so it doesn't add up so quickly.

Why should the little civs eventually catch up? How realistic it would be that in few years every african state could have the same level of training as US or GB.. :mischief:

Eventually it would be impossible for them to do it quickly unless they had some good factories. So they first have to build up industry and production and then make them, and it would still take pretty long because if we put a regular barracks as level one it would take the 2 times longer to build a level 5 barracks. so if you see them able to catch up in time to make a big mpact early on you are vastly mistaken. I say we start great britain off on a level 7 barracks and the us on a level 4. All the undeveloped countries should have a level 1 barracks to replace the regular one. In major cities in undeveloped nations you might want to make it a level 2.
These are my ideas

Hey there, guys! I think I might be your man for coding the units now, so I could use some help. Evidently there are some people here fluent in military hardware, so could somebody please provide performance and cost specifications for as many of these units as possible? That can help me figure out what to code!

While I wait on pins and needles for specs, the search for graphics begins! I'm going in order.

F-35 Lightning

Edit: Or I could go here.

not knowing what you mean by specs but:
F-35 Lightning II
Max speed: 1,200mph
Max range: 1,367miles

Those are standard among versions,

Mission-specific ordnance can include a combination of the following (up to six):
Spoiler :

AIM-9X Sidewinder short-range, air-to-air missiles
AIM-120B/C AMRAAM medium-range, air-to-air missiles
AIM-132 ASRAAM air-to-air missiles
2,000lb GBU-10 Paveway II guided bombs
2,000lb GBU-24A/B Paveway III guided bombs
2,000lb GBU-31 JDAM bombs
2,000lb MK-84 general purpose bombs
2,000lb MK-84 BSU-50 Ballute general purpose bombs
2,000lb GBU-31 JDAM bombs
1,000lb GNU-16 Paveway II guided bombs
1,000lb MK-83 BLU-110 general purpose bombs
1,000lb GBU-32 JDAM bombs
500lb CBU-38 JDAM bombs
500lb GBU-12 Paveway II laser-guided bombs
500lb MK-82 general purpose bombs
MK-83 BSU-85 general purpose bombs
CBU-99/100 Rockeye II cluster bombs
CBU-103/105 munitions dispenser
AGM-154 A/C JSOW glide bombs
Brimstone/Joint Common Missiles
Phase I SDB (under development)
Stormshadow cruise missiles
AGM-158 JASSM missiles
MXU-648/CNU-88 Baggage Pod
BDU-57/58/60 laser-guided training round
MK-76/MK-58/BDU-48
426-gallon external fuel tanks

so yeah...

BTW ships are VASTLY EASIER to figure out the specifics because they are specific units

use http://www.militaryfactory.com for info

I have a question: Are there some countries we're giving pre-modern tanks, to match the obsolescence of their militaries in reality, and similar to how we have multi-generation fighters? I ask because there is art for some pre-modern tanks in the Unit Art thread, and need to know if I have to add more unit classes.

Edit: Reading the thread's earlier posts gave me an idea, but dang, that's a lot of units! I'll hate you all once I finish this! ;)

Also, Sheep? Are you sure the Challenger 2 is out of production? Because if it is, I didn't know about it, and you need to provide the MBT currently in production by the United Kingdom.

I have a question: Are there some countries we're giving pre-modern tanks, to match the obsolescence of their militaries in reality, and similar to how we have multi-generation fighters? I ask because there is art for some pre-modern tanks in the Unit Art thread, and need to know if I have to add more unit classes.

Edit: Reading the thread's earlier posts gave me an idea, but dang, that's a lot of units! I'll hate you all once I finish this! ;)

Also, Sheep? Are you sure the Challenger 2 is out of production? Because if it is, I didn't know about it, and you need to provide the MBT currently in production by the United Kingdom.

Challenger 2 is still in heavy use

Yeah; I Wiki'd that one. Apparently they aren't currently in production, but the UK hasn't had their current supply depleted, so if they did they could build more.

Top Bottom