New Unit Series: Sten Gun

My new avatar is a pic of Michael 4 in a German Fallshirmjager outfit. After the sten gun I think I may try work on a german weapon either the MP40, FG32 or MP44. I'll have to start a poll to figure which one to use. :)

The sten was also used by the Israeli IDF during the Arb-Israeli war but besides that no other uses for WW2 troops that I can think of.
Also just found out that it was used by both sides during the Chinese civil war.

An "Early Israeli Soldier" ? Sounds good to me !
That they are no WW2-Units is no problem at all, because Gary`s thread is named "Sten-Gun Series" and not "WW2-Sten-Gun Series" or so ...
No israeli soldiers out here, so why not ...
(There are some units that could be used for them , but the all carry some rifles instead of the famous Sten)

I thought of another possible unit. I need Steph's opinion on this but how about a Free French commando like those who fought in Ouistreham in Normandy? He would be armed with a sten gun and would basically be a Royal Marine except with a black beret instead of green. At least I think that is what they wore based upon watching the Longest Day (of course the movie was in B&W). :lol:

I thought of another possible unit. I need Steph's opinion on this but how about a Free French commando like those who fought in Ouistreham in Normandy? He would be armed with a sten gun and would basically be a Royal Marine except with a black beret instead of green. At least I think that is what they wore based upon watching the Longest Day (of course the movie was in B&W). :lol:

Never trust a `color` in a black&white movie ! He,He
My best guess is that the black beret was more likely dark-blue.
I`ve forgot exactly why , but wasn`t blue important in France History ? (Just a guess triping thru my mind !) Steph could surely say more about that.

I'm not entirely sure about the blue. I know that French mountain troops in Norway in 1940 sometimes wore a black beret (at least according to my Men-at-Arms book on the French army). My best guess is that it would be a black beret. I'll do a little searching on Google to see what I can find though. :)

Looks like we both may be wrong. According to this picture the commandos must have worn something very similar to the British commandos, a greenish beret. In that case my British commando could double as a Free French commando perhaps.

Looks like your photo makes the french commando some kind of obsolete. The reason is surely that the fleed french was equiped by the british. They surely have redesigned their own uniform just a lil bit to save money and give them a british-looking uniform. That helps in battles not to shoot their own allies or to be killed by them.

The Free French adopted british uniforms and equipment for many reasons. They did not do it to save money. When the troops who ended up in britain left france, they left with nothing but the shirts on their backs and maybe a little gear. A combat uniform, regardless of era only lasts so long, and that timespan is shortened by the necessity of continuous wear in a combat environment. One uniform is unlikely to last two months under that abuse. The governments-in-exile from all over europe had the british government as a sponsor. Britain as you will recall, is an island nation, so many of its resources must be imported. The toll of the war was so great, resources had to be carefully managed. It is far easier to dedicate all textile industries to a common uniform type than it is to divert time, energy, and resources to converting factories for unique uniforms for each national contingent. While the assertion that combat recognition played a role in it has some merit, the british army had at this point been working closely with the french army for over a generation. In addition to this, the tommies as well as the yanks were (and still are) well trained and intelligent soldiers, so recognition of one additional uniform would not have been a major issue. In conclusion, the change to an alliance-common uniform was out of necessity rather than as a conscious choice.

By the way Gary, sorry for the threadjack, and great looking maquis.

Lots of answers to give.

First, some general remarks regarding my mod.

I have the following period/lines

WWI (1914) =
- Infantry, Marine, Cavalry
Inter war = very end of WWI uniform, or very early WWII
- Infantry, Marine
WWII = 1941-1944
- Infantry, Marine, Paratrooper, Commando, Resistance
1945-1960
- Infantry, Marine, Paratrooper, Commando
1960-1975
- Infantry, Marine, Paratrooper, Special Forces, Guerilla
1975-1990
1990+

It could be possible to add MG or Assault Engineer with flamethrower, or AT gun, for a few civ.

Currently, I'm using late WWII unit for the 1945-1960 slot.

So I'll use the British infantry with sten for that.

For the moment, I have many placeholders, with some variation of your Mauser or Garand Pack, that would probably be replaced with some different weapons should you make them.

On this page, I try to keep track of what is available and what could be done.
http://stephane.f.david.free.fr/CivMod/All_LandModernUnits.htm

So, what could you do with a Sten?
Not many reference...
British marines, 1950

But you could also make "what if" Indian, Egyptian or Arabian marines or paratroopers. These countries where under British rules. That could be useful for epic mod that want to cover this time period for these civs.

About the French:
You could make a version of the paratrooper with a black beret. The red was given to French paratrooper quite later.

You could also make a commando with this headgear instead of the beret.

General 666 said:
I`ve forgot exactly why , but wasn`t blue important in France History ? (Just a guess triping thru my mind !) Steph could surely say more about that.
That's true and false... Many people believe that France color has always been blue. It was true for the king (Golden Fleur de Lys on a blue field), and for a few regiments, like the Garde Française.

But in fact, the most common colours where grey and white, and the flag was often golden fleur de lys on a white field.
As they were correctly done by Sandris.

However, after the revolution, French color became blue.

But that's a relatively recent change. Even during the Napoleonic wars, due to the English blockade, it was difficult to get the necessary dye, and for a few years the uniforms reverted to white, until a new dye, homegrown, was found.

montizzle: Thanks for the additional info , but I still used to think that `friendly fire` is a serious problem in wartimes.

Steph: Thanks for the additional info

Gary: The `new man` will have MANY task in the future. I build him into my City-Mod , for example. So thanks for that guy !

About the French:
You could make a version of the paratrooper with a black beret. The red was given to French paratrooper quite later.

You could also make a commando with this headgear instead of the beret.

Hi Steph, I'm thinking I may hold off on any more French units. I have a nice little MAS38 submachinegun to use for French special forces and such. As for the commando with the alternative head gear, I may try to make that guy. I have a hat sort of similiar to it to use.

Hi Gary! I have seen now the french partisan on first page and I want say it's a very beautiful unit. Great work! I like it so much.

Many thanks Imperator! :)

As of today December 17, 2008, there's another new unit in the first post above. Another Steph request.

Just one more sten gun unit to make and then I think I will be done with the series.

EDIT: Wow! You beat me to the punch Steph! :)

Top Bottom