Support Section on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

Okay, turned on the logging. I'm only getting errors in the resmgr log file:
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor01.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor02.tga failed to load

Only run into one other civ in this game.
Been getting bad lags during play, increasing with each new civ I meet.
Search shows no files with this name. Could it actually be missing game files?

Ruffin said:
Okay, turned on the logging. I'm only getting errors in the resmgr log file:
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor01.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor02.tga failed to load

Only run into one other civ in this game.
Been getting bad lags during play, increasing with each new civ I meet.
Search shows no files with this name. Could it actually be missing game files?

Desktop runs the game fine, and doesn't have the files either. Could be part of the Art0.FPK file?

I can't get a response. We need a mirror.

They only address problems getting the game running from what I can see. I find no info on why the game moves at a snails pace on machines exceeding their suggested hardware requirments.

Does anyone else find it interesting that they list (in the .ini config file) a "dump memory leaks on exit" on and off option on the tech support web page, but that option doesn't exist in our .ini file?

I followed the ATI directions on the Civ 4 site.

After removing the ATI drivers as instructed, the installation of new drivers crashes!:mad:

Error boxes:
Severe

INF error
video driver not found

Severe

Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

So, now my system doesn't have a video driver. This goes way beyond just Civ 4 not working.

I'm running a Radeon 9200 Mobility graphics card on an Acer TravelMate 290 laptop, and I had just the same problem; I'm having zero luck finding a download for that stupid Mobility card either from ATI, whose Catalyst driver package refuses to install, or Acer. Anyway, you should be able to just use system restore to get back your old driver - go Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. May as well stick with that until an honest to God patch comes out, 'cause the fixes suggested by Take 2 so far aren't working. I can't believe how much time I've wasted today trying to get this stupid game going.

Anyone else having problems just loading the 2kgames site? It seems to be down this morning ... :/

Chibiabos said:
Anyone else having problems just loading the 2kgames site? It seems to be down this morning ... :/

It's probably because this is the first weekend after the release of the game. Everyone has waited to the weekend to buy the game and now they are all haveing the same problems we are. The site is probably overloaded. Come monday their techs will brobably all be working extended shifts to address some of the issues (I hope). I expect there will be a patch out by the end of Nov. If not at least I will have a French Tech Tree poster to thow darts at.

Using a bit of trial and error on several identical boxes I've at least been able to give a quick "workaround" to the delays and stuttering video issues on my own machines. Boxes w/ 512 meg of RAM just wouldn't do the work when other items were also using up a chunk of RAM. Considering that the game runs on my boxes using ~480meg when I was running PerfMon on it, I believe >512 is essential at the moment.

Using a box that had stuttering video/audio I made one single change (after trying a variety of other things the day before). I doubled the RAM to 1 gig. Game plays fine for at least 50 turns w/o issue (haven't tried more to date).

So if you just *have* to play at the moment, then you could use it as an excuse to buy more RAM. Not a solution, but it worked for me.

Tested using Sony VIAO w/ 512 meg of RAM, 2 IBM Intellistations w/ 512 meg of RAM each and home-built ASUS w/ 1 gig of RAM. All machines exhibited the problem w/ 512 meg, all resolved when increased (except the VIAO which is maxed out at 512).

Sounds like a memory leak to me. Especially with all the lags happeneing late in the game after several hours of leakage. This makes it appear to be due to increased need for resources (which is also a factor) when in fact it is probably a leak. I am sure some of the rigs having issues are far more powerful than what is needed to run the game when all memory is de/re-allocated effectively.

This is actually probably good news as the fix is much easier (when found) than it would be to attempt to optimize the code from unplayable all the way to playable (big gap).

I can not explain the absolute fury I am feeling right now. I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, latest drivers, XP sp2, Net 1.1, Catalyst Installed, all the steps that they recommend on the civ 4 official site and still having major problems. I'm playing the game and something will happen 6 minutes into it that causes it to freeze up and shut off to a black screen...Not even to a windows desktop, forcing me to hit the shut down button on the tower just to get back! What the $^@#$! is wrong with this picture?!!? 3ghz Pentium 4 chip, loads of memory and space... an awesome card....and I have a breakdown in a game like I'm running Dos-5 and trying to play Civ 2! WHY DID I SPEND $60 ON AMAZON FOR 2-DAY SHIPPING AND PRE-SELL EDITION IF IT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT?! I'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS SERIES SINCE SID FIRST THOUGHT IT UP IN THE SHOWER! :mad: :mad: The only game I still play is CIV and after waiting all this time for the 4th installment...it doesn't work?! COME ON!! I'm reposting this everywhere because I'm furious... WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :nuke: :nuke:

Cool, so we now know that they didn't check for compatability with ATI cards aside from not checking for compatability with nvidia Geforce or any other nvidia cards for that matter. Hmmm am I missing something? I really thought that nvidia was the most common card maker and ATI just slightly below that... I'm stuned, shocked, and awed that any game maker could make a game that well... doesn't work.

Support is simply pathetic. I swear to god if I hear that chic say "All of our representatives are busy, but your call is important pelase hole the line" I'm going to track her down and have some fun without useing vasoline.

My anger level is getting close to the 'you raped my kid, got my dog pregnant, shot me in the kneecap, ran away with my wife, burned down my house, stole my winning lottery ticket, and pissed on the grave of my parents while singing the 'you suck' song'

Customer support lol. 2k Games customer support is right up there with military intelligence, a complete oxy moron. 2k games are a joke, their help section hasn't been updated at all, neither has their site... and the fact that they aren't recognizing a porblem that a MASSIVE ammount of people are experiencing is ridiculous.

Thrasher0723 said:
...I'm playing the game and something will happen 6 minutes into it that causes it to freeze up and shut off to a black screen...Not even to a windows desktop, forcing me to hit the shut down button on the tower just to get back!...

I am having the same problem. It seems to be disabling the video card. I had to get a new video card to play the game (no TnL). The first card was a dud, and my machine could not see it. My monitor light would stay yellow instead of turning green indicating active video. The replacement works fine, except for the screen turning black while playing the game. I noticed the light turns yellow, just like a disabled video card, which makes me think the game is disabling the video drivers somehow.

I have also had the problem of the game suddenly minimizing, so that I have to re-open the window, and any pop-up that was open is closed.

There has been a bad pattern of buggy programs lately (Civ 3 and 4), but Firaxis does seem to do whatever it takes to fix the problems when they find out about them. It can be a real pain in the ass when there are these problems, but I for one am in this for the long haul. I have been enjoying Civ since the original game, and have found this one to be a great game (or at least when my screen isn't black).

My game will load and then dump to the desktop.
I ran the logging file and everything was the same as the screen they show except the bottom. Mine showed
25235.969 DBG: begin menumanager
25391.969 DBG: engine:camera intialized
25496.188 DBG: syncrandseed is 25383011 maprandseed is 25383011

What does this mean??

Top Bottom