Erebus

Might we not getting too ambitious? That person can cause bad dreams, so s/he's probably a very powerful magician, who can eat you for breakfast. Plus we've got other things to do in this city. By the time we check out the source of the dreams (a needle in a haystack?), s/he might already be long gone.

Anyone want to comment on this while we're all eating BREAKFAST?

ooc: oh yeh breakfast :lol:

"ill join you guys for breakfast."

while at the table Mryddyn asks:

"so where do you think we should go now? do we look for corvanes of what? i agree that we shouldnt go looking for the source of these dreams just yet. if we need to we can protect ourselves from the dreams."

i agree that we shouldnt go looking for the source of these dreams just yet.

Actually I was thinking we shouldn't go after this dream person at all - instead we should let the Amurite mage council know about our experiences and let them deal with it. Might put us on a good page with the authorities as well.

Tsanal joins the others for breakfast, and after eating a bit, he joins the debate.
"That'll probably only cause more trouble. If the government hears something is hunting us, which may endanger the mages, they'll probably make sure there's no reason for whatever it is to hunt us anymore, if you understand. I'd say we forget about the dreams for now, and aim directly for the source. I'm not even sure I remember why we're here?
Anyway, I take it that the mind part of my ward didn't work as intended, judging from your reaction?"

When they're done eating and debating, Tsanal will propose that they can spend the first day getting to know the town, visit the markets and such. He'll then gather his spellbook, pen, and ink, and head the the mage guild. When he gets there, he'll try to find someone experienced with air or shadow magic, and try to get them to teach him a bit (Zxcvbnm, you know how).
Then he will look in the guilds library (I assume it has one), if he can get permission, and try to find some books on dimensional and mind spells, and air/shadow if he found a mage who could teach him a bit.

"You think someone was hunting us specifically?? I assumed everyone there in the area we passed through would have those dreams.

Mind part of the ward??"

"oh, maybe because i hade placed my own wards on each of us last night, out wards kind of repelled each other. mine was designed to protect our subconcious minds from the dreams and any negative emotions that are forced on us, so our wards just canceled each other out?

Your probably right about these dreams though Tsanal, Valledia is notorious for making not entirely ethical decisions to benefit Amur, and disposing of us to protect her lands from a rogue mind mage wont be difficult for her (i assume Valledia is in charge of the amurites not Dain?), we need to do what we came here to do first, then we can hunt the source of these dreams."

(Mryddyn will agree with Tsanal that we should learn the streets of Glorairine. I am going to go out to the markets to see what kind of wares they sell, and if my skills will be useful i will make some assorted trinkets from wood and sell them)

{1. assume you don't know it if you aren't told it
2. elves don't know who leads the Amurites
3. Valledia isn't even born yet}

The markets of Glorairine are located around the town square, selling almost anything from food to jewels to garments. One thing they strangely seem to lack is magical stuff of any kinds. There are crowds of people around but less than in Paradera.

Beside the markets, the inns and the mage guild, Glorairine also has a harbour of some kind, but for your relief it's located some distance outside the town.

[ And me? ]

I'll watch out for lizardmen in the inns, and if that doesn't work, go to the harbour (is it in walking distance?) and ask the merchants if they know my uncle. Goal is finding some Dragon Cultists.

{1. assume you don't know it if you aren't told it
2. elves don't know who leads the Amurites
3. Valledia isn't even born yet}
ooc: ok sorry, juts disregard my bit about Valledia then :p

Mryddyn thinking:
"its odd that such a magical race do not sell magical wares... perhaps its because most people can do minor magic so there is no demad for such goods, or maybe there are laws against selling such stuff..."

he decides he will ask the store owners about this so he goes up to one of owners and asks:

"greetings good (sir/madam) i am new in Glorairine and have noticed that no one is selling magical wares. i was under the impressiong that amurite markets would be swimming with them. can you tell me why this is?"

(if they dont know, ill just ask around till i find out)

No matter how subtly he asks, Thomas learns that nobody has heard of the Heart of Drifa, or pretends to know, although everyone knows that Drifa was the dragon of Mulcarn against whom the brothers Seth, Phul and Jehoel fought, to later retreat to the Glory Coast to escape future strife. Thomas almost gives up his attempts until an old man appears, claiming to know all he needs. When he asks about the heart, the old man pauses for a long moment, until he tells what he knows. It is indeed more than others know but still not what he claimed to know. Well, he surely doesn't know why Thomas wants to know about it and it might be better kept hidden.

"The Heart of Drifa? Well, I take you know about the brothers already, so I'll tell you a story of what exactly happened back then. My great-grandfather had heard about it from his father-in-law whose great uncle was there, so my knowledge is indeed of the best quality you can find from outside the libraries of the Councils.

A long time ago, I don't remember how long exactly, but... wait... at least a hundred years ago, our leader Kylorin left to challenge the Illian oppressors. He wanted to sneak behind their backs while their army was kept busy, so we camped at the mountains of Nimarail. It was an excellent place to defend from them, the lake to the north was of course plain, have you seen a hilly or forested lake.. but the oncoming attackers could be excellently seen... anyway, when he left us to defend our homeland we were facing one of the greatest horrors ever: a dragon.

Towering over the highest trees, the creature slew even our mightiest warriors in the battle. Nobody could match its might. Arrows were nothing to it, the sharpest spears didn't pierce its scales nor the heaviest maces could even dent them.

The battle raged for a day and two, and when almost all was lost, our last standing heroes, the three brothers, charged against it. And the creature fell. The scream is said to have been horribly loud, heard everywhere, and at the same moment the winter itself felt giving up, having lost its teeth, according to the tales.

After the battle, the brothers rode through the battlefield, searching for trophies of their great deed. I don't know what it is but Seth got a trophy of what I've heard to have been the dragon itself, in exchange of letting Jehoel and Phul take most of the other loot. No non-mage has ever seen what it is, but I think that is what you wanted to know."

---

The magi guild is the largest building in Glorairine, and its entrance hall is a truly impressive sight. Although not at all comparable to the citadel of Cevedes the thirty feet high hall with a dome decorated with pictures of the battle against the Dragon beats anything you saw in Paradera.

Tsanal hadn't been the only one to wonder where all the magical wares are traded but he is thus far the only one to know where: the hall is surronded by shops of alchemists and herbalists alike, selling almost anything a mage would need.

Looking for them takes some time but finally Tsanal finds some wizards who would, for a price, reveal some of their secrets. Usually mages don't share their might to others, except to gain something they need, and these ones aren't an exception. He isn't in the family of Jehoel nor in its service so the tuition isn't cheap but, being Amurite, almost guaranteed to be of highest quality. The quantity on the other hand seems a bit minuscule.

He gives almost all of his money to them and they show him some of the simplest things one can do with shadow and air magic. After about a quarter of an hour Tsanal feels learned a bit, but possibly being able to put what he saw to use might take a lot of further trial and error.

---

After little asking Mryddyn learns the same thing, that the magical wares are traded in the guild.

{I'll be off for a week, you'll have a lot of time to plan what to do next}

Ken, after exploring the city for a while decides to head to the mage guild. once there he will check out books on force and fire magic and read them.

Tsanal walks around in the Mage Guild, overwhelmed by the old mermories. Not all of them are nice, though. He thinks about the reasons he left for, his hate about these mages arrogance, his anger about the beaucracy of the guilds, and the unfair restrictions. A skilled mind mage would be much more dangerous than a necromancer, wouldn't he? Still, realizing he might as well take whatever benefits he can get, he looks for the library, and asks if he can get permission to take some notes from the books. If he can, he will. He will try to find out everything he can about the Arts he studies, except death. He will also find some general theory on spellcasting, and some books on scrying.
After that, if there is still some of the day left, he will go back to his room, put his money in his bag, and go out to try and find a training place. First, he will look in the guild, but if he can't find anything there, he will look outside the city gates. He will, however, try to remember getting in before they close the gates. If he doesn't, he'll contact the others via his link, and explain why he'll have to spend the night elsewhere.

The vendors in the magi guild sell almost anything imaginable: all kinds of herbs and reagents, crystals with different magics, enchanted items of any kind, and most other things you could think about.

Ken's reading of the force and fire magic teaches him some new ways to utilise his abilities to things he hadn't heard about. Many of the books are dull but one describing magical barriers is especially interesting. A skilled caster could make not only wards similar to what he and Tsanal enchanted to defend themselves, but parts of the ether completely solid, stronger than any metal or rock.

The bureaucratic morons of the guild forbid Tsanal from copying their books but who could see if someone was quickly writing down some notes of the most important things in the books?
Finding a training place is a lot more difficult than taking some notes, as all suitable halls are for the family of Jehoel and people in their service alone. Finally Tsanal finds a good empty clearing in a small forest close to Glorairine, but it's outside the town. As the day begins to turn to evening and nobody knows what creatures might roam the forests in these strange times he decides to spend another night in the inn, planning how to use his spare time the most effectively on the next day.

Interested by the book on force magic that discribed magical barriers, Ken tests if he is ready for such a spell by attempting to create a very small sphere shaped barrier in his hand.

if i have any money left i will buy some of the more potent reagents and herbs to stock up my salves and re-energisers. i will then procede to make these into healing potions, salves etc.

after that ill ask around for direction to any temples dedicated to Cerunnous or Sucellus. if i get the directions ill go there and ask the priests there to train me in depening my link with the divine, and to help me learn about more interesting ways to use the arts of Life and Nature.

if Tsanal gets stuck outside the city walls ill transform into an owl and go to him. if there is something nasty outside (thinks of the maticore) i wouldnt want him to be alone. plus we could discuss what we learnt :p

Top Bottom