Bug Report (English)

Thomas SG, while playing along (still ver4.12) I came across a few small things that I would like to draw your attention to.

- Could you adjust the main text in the civilopedia for Statue of Zeus and the Pyramids? In both cases it is still the old text (reg. War Wariness (Zeus) and Civics
(Pyramids), you changed only the small intro-text). (Mistakenly I concentrated on the Pyramids thinking I could switch gov civics then... Discovered the changed too late...) ;) Are these the only Wonders which you changed? I looked into a few others and didn't find any other changes.

- While I like the feature that jungle and desert hurt units I found a little problem:
Spoiler :

As you see in this picture, Stalin is approaching Hamburg. However, he never attacked. His units crossed the river to the north and then ended the turn in the jungle. Next turn they were wounded (b/C jungle), so the moved back to the south (again crossing the river) where they healed. Once they were healed they crossed the river again to attack, but were hurt again. So, he always moved back and forth never being able to attack. To avoid that, would be possible to have the units wounded only after the second turn that they end in a jungle or desert? Or have the AI take jungle into account when it declares war?

- When I gave myexploring warrior a heal order outside of my cultural borders the "hover"-text told me it would take "> 1000 turns" (the unit stood on a forested hill, no jungle, no desert). The unit, however, healed within about 3-4 turns.

I think I found another problem: The icon which shows whether a leader is furious, cautions, pleased etc. on the right side of the main screen does not change to the green icon for "pleased". See an example with Zara who is pleased with me (there is still the white icon):
Spoiler :

I started a new game with the patch B and noticed some game crashes, which didn't occur prior the patch. (Savegame included)

If you load my savegame and end the turn the game crashes. (At least for me)

Here are some "minor" bug reports:
  1. I somehow made contact with civilizations that reside on another continent, without anyone having the astronomy tech to cross the ocean. :confused:
  2. At the early game (after ~100 turns) many, to me unknown, cities reached the legendary culture level. :eek:
  3. The Inca-city below my empire seem to be pretty popular for immigrants with its 52 citizen. (Not really a bug) :lol:
  4. I don't like the "landscape damage units"-option*, so i disable it. But if i restart the game and load a savegame, the option is internally enabled (the tiles cause damage), but in the BUG-menu the option is shown as disabled. I have to manually enable-disable it to really disable it again. (This bug was also present in the earlier versions)

I couldn't test the new dynamic difficulty option as it still wasn't triggered in my game. **

* "Landscape damage units"-option: I like the basic idea, but i think that the units shouldn't get completely destroyed. A max. damage and maybe lower damage rate would be really cool. But thats just my personal taste. ;)

** I modified two xml-files (TechInfos and GameSpeedInfo) in which i only changed the overall "epic" game speed to fit my needs. (longer eras and longer game)

EDIT: Fixed the attachment.

Okay, I will have a look at the bugs. and your save. That's what I can tell you at the moment.

1) The contact problem is new and I got no idea at the moment what happend.

2) That may be caused by your changes. What kind of changes have you done to the game speeds? Your bug sounds very similar to an old bug in CCV that was caused by a missing modification of CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml.

3) If this city as got enough food, is healthy and the people are happy it is really no bug. But perhaps I should trigger the migration again. :mischief:

4) The enable and disable problem is known. And it hits all options as it seems. :mad: But I don't know the reason until now. I'll ask the RevDCM for help if I can't solve the problem myself.

*) I dislike maximum limits very much. I removed them where ever possible. There's always a better way to do it. Same here. I will change the way damage is done now. So you may like it in the future.
At the moment XY percent with reference to the full strength are taken per turn. I'll change it to XY percent of the current strength. Better?

€: What's wrong with the other longer game speeds? Why don't you play Marathon, MarathonXL or MarathonXXL?

Caveat: As I didn't want to abandon my ver4.12 game, I am still posting bugs that I found there - if you have fixed them already then disregard my post.

The problem: The Sit-Rep screen (military advisor) shows nothing anymore. Did the BUG-team change anything there? But even if they made it dependent on intel I should be able to see something as I have gathered quite a lot of spy points on several AI civs already.
Spoiler :

Btw, the problem with the smiley icons on the right of the main screen affects all smileys. They are all one level down (cautious smiley for pleased, annoyed
smiley for cautious ...)

Oh and thanks for thinking about adjusting the damage done by jungle etc. In my current game several units of the AI just disppeared after a few turns of waiting in the jungle (I don't know why they kept waiting there).

Caveat: As I didn't want to abandon my ver4.12 game, I am still posting bugs that I found there - if you have fixed them already then disregard my post.

The problem: The Sit-Rep screen (military advisor) shows nothing anymore. Did the BUG-team change anything there? But even if they made it dependent on intel I should be able to see something as I have gathered quite a lot of spy points on several AI civs already.
Spoiler :

You see nothing because there was a python exception. But I think I solved it in 4.14B.

Btw, the problem with the smiley icons on the right of the main screen affects all smileys. They are all one level down (cautious smiley for pleased, annoyed
smiley for cautious ...)
Okay, that means the offset in the maininterface is wrong.

Oh and thanks for thinking about adjusting the damage done by jungle etc. In my current game several units of the AI just disppeared after a few turns of waiting in the jungle (I don't know why they kept waiting there).

They are waiting because of the heal bug. 4.12 shows sometimes a wrong calculation of the heal turns. But this calculation is also in use for the AI decision where to go and also where and when to heal. 4.14B should fix it.

Okay, I will have a look at the bugs. and your save. That's what I can tell you at the moment.

1) The contact problem is new and I got no idea at the moment what happend.

2) That may be caused by your changes. What kind of changes have you done to the game speeds? Your bug sounds very similar to an old bug in CCV that was caused by a missing modification of CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml.

3) If this city as got enough food, is healthy and the people are happy it is really no bug. But perhaps I should trigger the migration again. :mischief:

4) The enable and disable problem is known. And it hits all options as it seems. :mad: But I don't know the reason until now. I'll ask the RevDCM for help if I can't solve the problem myself.

*) I dislike maximum limits very much. I removed them where ever possible. There's always a better way to do it. Same here. I will change the way damage is done now. So you may like it in the future.
At the moment XY percent with reference to the full strength are taken per turn. I'll change it to XY percent of the current strength. Better?

€: What's wrong with the other longer game speeds? Why don't you play Marathon, MarathonXL or MarathonXXL?

2) The problem is that it didn't happen in the prior versions with the same speed changes. I also think that the cities which reached the legendary culture level are all barbaric ones (see Edit). If one city had to reach the legendary culture level, than it would be definitely my capital city as i built most of the wonders and also have the culture trait (which seem not to give any +2 extra culture per city at all). :crazyeye:

3) The citizen are very very very angry, hungry and ill in that Inca-city, that's why i thought it's odd. ^^

4) Thanks. :)

*) That would be really cool if the damage is relative to the current strength. :thumbsup:

@Speed modifications:
I love to have longer eras, thats why i also modify the technology costs and not only the gamespeedinfo (which are rather minimal). For the modification of the technology cost i use the Civ4TechPatch (http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?t=47980 (German)) application. It may be only me, but i think that the other speed modis only make the game proportional longer without real era-"depth".

The modified Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml part:
Spoiler :
<GameSpeedInfo>
<Type>GAMESPEED_EPIC</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EPIC</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EPIC_HELP</Help>
<iGrowthPercent>150</iGrowthPercent>
<iTrainPercent>125</iTrainPercent>
<iConstructPercent>150</iConstructPercent>
<iCreatePercent>150</iCreatePercent>
<iResearchPercent>150</iResearchPercent>
<iBuildPercent>150</iBuildPercent>
<iImprovementPercent>150</iImprovementPercent>
<iGreatPeoplePercent>150</iGreatPeoplePercent>
<iCulturePercent>150</iCulturePercent>
<iAnarchyPercent>150</iAnarchyPercent>
<iBarbPercent>200</iBarbPercent>
<iFeatureProductionPercent>150</iFeatureProductionPercent>
<iUnitDiscoverPercent>300</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
<iUnitHurryPercent>150</iUnitHurryPercent>
<iUnitTradePercent>150</iUnitTradePercent>
<iUnitGreatWorkPercent>150</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
<iGoldenAgePercent>300</iGoldenAgePercent>
<iHurryPercent>66</iHurryPercent>
<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>150</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
<iInflationPercent>20</iInflationPercent>
<iInflationOffset>-135</iInflationOffset>
<iVictoryDelayPercent>150</iVictoryDelayPercent>
<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>180</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>133</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>150</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>600</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>36</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>300</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>404</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>258</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>3</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>260</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>2</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>395</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>500</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>
</GameSpeedInfo>

My civ4techpatch.ini:
Spoiler :
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<TechEraFactors>
<targetFile>CIV4TechInfos.xml</targetFile>
<changeAdvanceStartCost>0</changeAdvanceStartCost>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_ANCIENT</NAME>
<FACTOR>1</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_CLASSICAL</NAME>
<FACTOR>2</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_MEDIEVAL</NAME>
<FACTOR>6</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_RENAISSANCE</NAME>
<FACTOR>12</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_INDUSTRIAL</NAME>
<FACTOR>18</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_MODERN</NAME>
<FACTOR>24</FACTOR>
</ERA>
<ERA>
<NAME>ERA_FUTURE</NAME>
<FACTOR>30</FACTOR>
</ERA>
</TechEraFactors>

Thanks for your time, Thomas SG! :)

EDIT:
I started a new game with Boudica (Celts: Agg/Cha) and realized that the charisma trait had no effect to the cities happiness. (The same as with the culture trait)

What i also found out is that the barbaric city next to me reached the legendary culture level in less than 50 turns. :eek:

Thomas SG, I think there is a little typo in the hover text for catapults. It says cats can reduce city defenses by 8, but when I actually bombard city defenses with them than they go down by only 4.

Btw, would it be possible to add the possibility for culverins etc. to bombard(! I don't mean "fight" as in BTS) units, not only city defenses?

Perhaps you could also add a section in your feature thread about the smaller changes you did, such as that siege weapons cannot be used to fight/weaken units anymore.

Moreover, I noticed that windmills are very powerful (at least in mid-game) compared to mines. I am just before Liberalism (just to give you an idea of which era I am talking about) and I noticed that I am much better off when I build a windmill on a hill instead of a mine. While a mine gives only 3 hammers, the windmill will not only give 3 hammers too, but also 1 additional bread and 1 or 2 beakers. Perhaps you could tune down windmills in the middle of the game to give only 2 hammers instead of 3 while keeping the other stuff?

Thomas SG, I think there is a little typo in the hover text for catapults. It says cats can reduce city defenses by 8, but when I actually bombard city defenses with them than they go down by only 4.

Strange. On the list.

Btw, would it be possible to add the possibility for culverins etc. to bombard(! I don't mean "fight" as in BTS) units, not only city defenses?

Perhaps you could also add a section in your feature thread about the smaller changes you did, such as that siege weapons cannot be used to fight/weaken units anymore.

You are playing without firststrike attack? If not they can hit and weaken enemies with that attack. That's the idea. But I will think about changes, too.

Moreover, I noticed that windmills are very powerful (at least in mid-game) compared to mines. I am just before Liberalism (just to give you an idea of which era I am talking about) and I noticed that I am much better off when I build a windmill on a hill instead of a mine. While a mine gives only 3 hammers, the windmill will not only give 3 hammers too, but also 1 additional bread and 1 or 2 beakers. Perhaps you could tune down windmills in the middle of the game to give only 2 hammers instead of 3 while keeping the other stuff?

That was intentional! It took a lot of time to create that system. Windwills and watermills come later than mines. So they must be better than mines or they won't be build. And mines will become better in time while mills will not. So it may be a waste of work to replace them. And windmill and watermill should/must be equal. And I want those mills to disappear in later eras.

You are playing without firststrike attack? If not they can hit and weaken enemies with that attack. That's the idea. But I will think about changes, too.
Sorry, my bad. :blush: So, don't bother.
Actually, I remembered a mod I played recently (either RevDCM or LoR) where cannons had the ability to bombard units, but only "barrage-like", meaning you could only hit the second, third etc. unit that way but never the first. So when there was only one unit bombarding was useless.
Btw, do catas have first strike attacks, too?

That was intentional! It took a lot of time to create that system. Windwills and watermills come later than mines. So they must be better than mines or they won't be build. And mines will become better in time while mills will not. So it may be a waste of work to replace them. And windmill and watermill should/must be equal. And I want those mills to disappear in later eras.
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I will remember it for my strategy in my current game.

Btw, do catas have first strike attacks, too?

Yes. An unpromoted cata has got 1 firststrike. So you can attack all stacks that haven't got a unit with 1 or more firststrikes. That means if there is a horseman in the stack you can't attack because he would attack your cata before you are in range. Same with good bowman. So as the attacker it's important to increase the firststrikes with the Drill promotions! Use the firststrike attack when ever possible to collect XP with your catas.

BTW: I'm thinking about a change. I think I will allow the firststrike attack even against stacks with a higher firststrike capability. But that may end in suicide mission. Have to teach the AI first.

Regarding the CTD i was talking about: (Am i the only one who has it so far :confused:)
I experimented a bit and found out that the crash can be delayed by changing the total number of turns.* (CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml -> GameTurnInfos)
My next thought was that the crash occurs when the dynamic difficulty is triggered, but even after disabling it in the BUG menu the crash occured.
I hope i'm not an annoyance and that this information may help you finding the issue.

* My uploaded savegame can be seen as useless as i have a custom game speed with a different number of total turns.

Regarding the CTD i was talking about: (Am i the only one who has it so far :confused:)
I experimented a bit and found out that the crash can be delayed by changing the total number of turns.* (CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml -> GameTurnInfos)
My next thought was that the crash occurs when the dynamic difficulty is triggered, but even after disabling it in the BUG menu the crash occured.
I hope i'm not an annoyance and that this information may help you finding the issue.

* My uploaded savegame can be seen as useless as i have a custom game speed with a different number of total turns.

The save was a good help. I would have never found the bug without it. :goodjob: So, found your CTD and solved the problem. But there is no way to solve it in your game. Sorry, the game is broken. There is no way to avoid the crash.

And the culture bug (early legendary cities) should also be solved in 4.14 C. And I found also a lot of other minor bugs. I killed the described assimilation bug, the heal bug, fixed C Linked Starts (1.1.3 was never working and nobody noticed :mischief:), Afforess Automations, BUG bugs, the Advanced Cargo, Advanced Invisiblity, some events...
I don't remember them all. TOO MUCH. :) But I could not solve all problems! The problems with the BUG screens are still there. Maybe you could make a screen and report them there? They need a solution too and know better what to do.

But as I said there is not much new stuff in 4.14C. The focus was on debuging. New are shrimps, the locating technology and in relation to this technology the new bonus from sonar and radar. And the terrain damage is now related to the current strength. Also retriggered the AI for the terrain promotions. Migration is rebalanced too. And the catapult typo is removed. They are no more OnlyFirstStrikers! Sorry. Now they can be used in the field. :D I also retriggered some units. You will see.
And I removed the Ship of the Line as a standard unit. As you can see it will be in use as a unique unit for England in the future. Even added about 3 or 4 other new UUs. You can see them in the pedia. But they are disabled by default (2nd UU game option). So not IMBA. And so you know my next little project. ;)

What I need is an idea und graphic for a second UU for France. The UU should be near the Musketman. So the Foreign Legion is no option as 2nd UU (but perhaps 3th UU). Please post ideas and links to a fitting art in the general discussion thread. That's it for the moment.

So 4.14C comes now as a full version and not as a patch.

That are awesome news, Thomas! :goodjob:
Thanks for fixing the CTD-bug and changing the landscape damage behavior! :)
The other changes sound pretty yummy as well. Can't wait for the new version as i also haven't played civ for a "long" time since the CTD incident. :drool:

I searched the entire forum for this bug and cannot find if anyone else has this issue. When playing certain mods (i.e. PieAncientEurope, World of Legends, can't remember but possibly Overlord 2.3.6 and Neoteric World), I have a culture bomb after the 1st turn and every player's capital has Legendary Culture. All the borders are instantly attached to everyone else's. I do (usually) turn off espionage which I know converts all the spy points to culture. Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it???

Thx

I played a new game up to about 2000 BC with the new release and ran into two things. One was that units ordered to heal seemed to be waking up each turn without any nearby threats.

The other is connected to the dynamic difficulty level. Right around 2000 BC I saw my first change in difficulty (Monarch down to the next lower--it was a jungle start, what can I say, lol), which was kind of exciting. However, every turn after that it kept dropping one more, all the way to settler. Then, after it had dropped to settler, it announced the next turn again that it was dropping from settler to settler, lol:crazyeye:.

Anyway, I'm attaching a save game at that last turn (the settler to settler) and an auto save just before it started dropping.

Also wanted to say thanks for all your work on this awesome mod Thomas, it's got so many features I'm just considering essential to a game of Civ 4 now, I can't imagine playing without it anymore.

Hi Thomas,

great mod! But in the latest version there are a few bugs that make it impossible to play.

What ChrisAdams3997 said seems to work the other way around, too.
I usually play in the very low ranks, around the normal setting.

Now i got higher and higher, and get promoted every round to "god" again.

Hope for a 4.14D soon ;)

p.s.: Super Mod, hab schon lange nicht mehr soviel Spaß an CIV gehabt :D

p.p.s.: Oh and i couldn't find the option to disable the dynamic difficulty... any clues where to find it? ;)

If you open up your 'Beyond the Sword\Mods\Community Civ V\UserSettings' folder, then the RevDCM.ini, you'll find a line at the very bottom that says:

Code:
CCV_DYNAMIC_DIFFICULTY_LEVEL = True

Just change the 'true' to 'false':)

If you open up your 'Beyond the Sword\Mods\Community Civ V\UserSettings' folder, then the RevDCM.ini, you'll find a line at the very bottom that says:

Code:
CCV_DYNAMIC_DIFFICULTY_LEVEL = True

Just change the 'true' to 'false':)

:D It's much easier. In the upper left corner is a button (BUG button with new style) that leads to the game and interface options. Goto "Optional" and scroll down. There is somewhere a check box for DDL.

Top Bottom