Gifting units. What is the bloody trick?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
It works maybe. It works sometimes. It doesn't work sometimes.

I give three at a time. Maybe one shows up. Maybe none.

What's the best way to do this to get it to actually work? Gift one unit at a time?

Three at a time? Two?

This is broken for sure and it's too bad, it's a pretty basic gameplay mechanic.

IIRC the gifted unit/s show up any time in the next few turns. So if it has gone from your empire then i would assume it has worked and you may just have to wait a few turns to see it appear.

I know no more than that.

IIRC the gifted unit/s show up any time in the next few turns. So if it has gone from your empire then i would assume it has worked and you may just have to wait a few turns to see it appear.

I know no more than that.

Well if it showed up a few turns (or several turns) later I wouldn't be posting now, would I?

That's the thing you see... they DON'T SHOW UP. Hence the post.

One belief is that the cs disbands them upon arrival, or there isn't any room for the to appear so they just leave the universe.

Has it anything to do with techs they have yet to research? Or do they use an average tech level from all civs on the current map? I have tried to gift a unit that was far beyond the units it fielded, and it never appeared...

I just had this problem myself. I gifted 3-4 units on two occasions to two city states and both times only 1 unit eventually showed up. No units came on the turn after that one unit showed up. There was room in the CS's territory for the units.

Has it anything to do with techs they have yet to research? Or do they use an average tech level from all civs on the current map? I have tried to gift a unit that was far beyond the units it fielded, and it never appeared...

I gave a CS a Giant Death Robot and it showed up.

One time out of three.

I can gift units and it works but I do it vary rarely cos it seems to get you like pretty much no influence. If it hasn't been assigned as a city quest, does anyone actully do it? How does the change of influence mechanic work?

The only way I know to guarantee is to move the unit to the city state and use the gift unit option in the unit action list instead of the gift unit option in diplomacy. I don't think you get the diplomacy boost that way, but you know the unit is there.

You can't gift more than about 2 units at a time or they start dissappearing, and you have to wait for the first batch to show up after a few turns before gifting again or they all go poof. :(

I don't know if it's a bug or intended but it sucks either way.

I've seen gifted units show up but not always. The arrival is always delayed 2-3 turns and sometimes the *doink* sound signals it's arrival if they are close enough or in view of one of your units.

I've not seen any approval change ever though. In one game I was re-gifting lesser units that 2-3 CSs were gifting me trying to become allies to no avail. It might change if it is a quest, but otherwise it seems the benefit is mainly in the amount of trouble it causes for whomever they are fighting.

Elsewhere someone has mentioned that if you flood the gift pipeline with 2 or 3 units they just disappear. Maybe or maybe the AI is disbanding them.

I've seen gifted units show up but not always. The arrival is always delayed 2-3 turns and sometimes the *doink* sound signals it's arrival if they are close enough or in view of one of your units.

I've not seen any approval change ever though. In one game I was re-gifting lesser units that 2-3 CSs were gifting me trying to become allies to no avail. It might change if it is a quest, but otherwise it seems the benefit is mainly in the amount of trouble it causes for whomever they are fighting.
Yeah gifting doesn't make a difference to approval rating unless their is a quest for units.

Elsewhere someone has mentioned that if you flood the gift pipeline with 2 or 3 units they just disappear. Maybe or maybe the AI is disbanding them.

lol, Is there a functional difference between the two? Especially since you don't know if the CS will disband them and they never appear inside the CS borders to be disbanded?

If the AI is disbanding the units you give them then something is drastically wrong.

I don't gift units to CSs to gain Influence with them. I gift units to CSs because I want that CS to survive a war with someone or to open up a second front in a war where we are fighting a common foe.

In my two instances the CSs I donated to were completely surrounded by a Civ I was at war with. There was still plenty of space but the AI was closing in on these states from all sides. I was hoping that by gifting units to a CS on the opposite side of the AI's territory that I'd be able to divide his forces.

Unfortunately both times I just wasted 3 units (6 total) because they never arrived at the CS.

Oh yeah and one of the units that DID arrive the AI immediately moved it onto the water instead of foritfying it right next to their city where it was killed the very next turn by a Privateer.

Seriously something needs to be fixed here. I've seen this thread other times. Let's get a move on Fireaxis!

lol, Is there a functional difference between the two? Especially since you don't know if the CS will disband them and they never appear inside the CS borders to be disbanded?
In one case, a bug in the game just eats them; in the other, the AI disbands them and possibly uses the gold for something else.

But yea, functionally they just dont get them, and we dont know why (or even if there is actually a disappearance bug).

I don't gift units to CSs to gain Influence with them. I gift units to CSs because I want that CS to survive a war with someone or to open up a second front in a war where we are fighting a common foe.

I gift to them if they are fighting a losing war with someone (I.E America) and I cannot go to war with because they are too strong and I made DoF with them before they attacked.

Top Bottom