Hulfgar's Modpacks - Industrial and Complete Edition

Hulfgar, I just want to say, this is an absolutely bloody fantastic Mod. Thanks to you and those that helped in making it, GREAT WORK!! Paradox needs to hire your guys.

Is there no way for this mod to work with Infoaddict? It not being able to work with it is too big a deal breaker for me...:(

hardcore_gamer : delete the folder AttilaResourcesTooltip in ...Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Mods\Hulfgars Modpack...\MergedMods and it should do the trick.

Asterix Rage thanks for the logs I will have a look at them. Sorry for not doing it sooner, I had a sick child and spent some days with him in the hospital.

Sgt Striker only a moderator can delete the posts, but you can edit them and delete the content.

Thanks I will try that. Anyway I got a bunch of other mods that I would like to use as well in addition to this one. They are:

-Trade oppurtunites
-UI-improved city banner
-UI-religion spread
-Smart AI
-Perfect world

I think that is about it. Will these work just fine?

EDIT: How can I delete the atila folder if the mod is a file but not a folder?

EDIT: How can I delete the atila folder if the mod is a file but not a folder?

Strange, it should be a folder with 4 files in it.

-Smart AI works fine with my mod.

UI mod should be ok as long as you delete AttilaResourcesTooltip

for the 2 others i don't know them, I'm nor sure that i will have the time to test, but if you encounter any problem just come back to me.

Strange, it should be a folder with 4 files in it.

-Smart AI works fine with my mod.

UI mod should be ok as long as you delete AttilaResourcesTooltip

for the 2 others i don't know them, I'm nor sure that i will have the time to test, but if you encounter any problem just come back to me.

I should point out that I downloaded not the complete edition but the industrial one because of the save bug that is mentioned in regards to the complete edition.

Thanks, Hulfgar, for your continuing great work on this mod!

I just came back to this and I'm amazed at how well this mod is working and that it basically does all the things I've felt were missing from the original game.

I enjoy playing not to win, but to create a history that feels authentic, and on epic speed and immortal this is just great - I can follow the real life years as far as technology goes, and I can enjoy each time period, and most of all, the balanced and fun warfare that's now possible.

*I recommend the "Smart AI" mod - it makes the AI wage war more efficiently, and seems to work 100% with this mod*

Now, even though I play the 'Industrial edition', the savegame bug still happens every 5 or so hours. But I can work around that - I have autosave on every turn - and there seems to always be a good save file a couple turns back this way. So it's not a big issue for me.

There's another bug though - quite often the graphics go haywire - I mean the icons of units and countries. They go missing and a black box appears instead - or even some messed up colours. Not a big problem, it always goes away after going to main menu and reloading the save. But curious... I'll post a save game when this happens next, perhaps you can see it too.

Some notions about the military naval vessels - I like to focus on these as I'm a bit of a fan of old ships of war...

*I really like that there's now the 'Carrack' war ship to fix the gap from Galleass to SotL :)

*I really like how the better sail ships require two lumber each - means you can't just spam them

*BUT.. When you get to the ironclad era, I really think the Ironclad frigate and SotL need to have a resource requirement. It feels a bit broken when wooden ships do, but more advanced, iron-armoured ones don't.. Perhaps one coal and one wood each? The ships were often built of wood and then iron plated. At least something, now the ship spam possibility takes away from the otherwise perfect gameplay balance.

*It seems that when you upgrade an existing carrack into a ship of the line, it becomes actually the English UU that has 'Targeting I' as standard. At least that happened to all my carracks.

But, once again, thank you so much - this mod is why I still play Civ V after 1500 gameplay hours!

Hello TurboJ,

*BUT.. When you get to the ironclad era, I really think the Ironclad frigate and SotL need to have a resource requirement. It feels a bit broken when wooden ships do, but more advanced, iron-armoured ones don't.. Perhaps one coal and one wood each? The ships were often built of wood and then iron plated. At least something, now the ship spam possibility takes away from the otherwise perfect gameplay balance.

*It seems that when you upgrade an existing carrack into a ship of the line, it becomes actually the English UU that has 'Targeting I' as standard. At least that happened to all my carracks.

Well I had forgotten to add the requirements to those ships, I will correct it this way :

Ironclad Ship of the Line : 2 timber, 1 coal, 1 steel
Ironclad Frigate : 1 timber, 1 coal, 1 steel

For the upgrade of the Carrack I've found the error the default unit for the ship of the line was set as english ship of the line.

I will test those corrections and the last changes I made and I should release a corrected version for tomorrow or monday.

Now, even though I play the 'Industrial edition', the savegame bug still happens every 5 or so hours. But I can work around that - I have autosave on every turn - and there seems to always be a good save file a couple turns back this way. So it's not a big issue for me.

Did you always have the savegame bug with the 'Industrial edition' and if not do you remember with which version it appeared for the first time?

I begin to think that the source of this bug could be the size of the mod, either too many units or skins. It would at least explain why at first it was only in the 'Complete edition' and then appeared in the 'Industrial edition'.

There's another bug though - quite often the graphics go haywire - I mean the icons of units and countries. They go missing and a black box appears instead - or even some messed up colours. Not a big problem, it always goes away after going to main menu and reloading the save. But curious... I'll post a save game when this happens next, perhaps you can see it too.

This can be solved by disabling the 'GPU texture decode' option (Launch Civ 5, choose 'OPTIONS' in the menu, tab 'video options').

Thanks for your report :)

Did you always have the savegame bug with the 'Industrial edition' and if not do you remember with which version it appeared for the first time?

Yes I did, unfortunately. But I believe the workaround is solid - I have been playing for ~15 hours on my current campaign, and the savegame bug has appeared about six times. I think it was less frequent on the older versions, but I can't be sure, I don't have enough hours on this so I could say for sure.

But so far I have been able to continue the campaign by using the 'autosave every turn' and also testing when the bug happens by manually saving each turn - you can feel the 12 kb save by that the time it takes to save that file is very short, so you know immediately when the bug appears.

It's unfortunate this bug is so persistant - because this mod is SO great.
But I do believe the method I'm using should allow most players to enjoy the mod. It's too much fun for the bug to stop me playing :)

I begin to think that the source of this bug could be the size of the mod, either too many units or skins. It would at least explain why at first it was only in the 'Complete edition' and then appeared in the 'Industrial edition'.

I think you have hit the nail on it's head there Hulfgar, what if you could split the mod into 2 or 3 separate mods then load them in sequential order this would theoretically eliminate the save game bug instantly ie 2 or 3 separate loads/mods would eliminate
the too big a mod and too many units and/or skins in one mod for the game to process when it saves. I know when I've played other mods and had a multiude of them running at the same time I have never had any save game issues but I bet if I combined them into 1 mod I would get save game issue

A couple more small issues: Cargo ships graphics don't update according to tech level - I have researched radar but the cargo ships are still galleons

Also the Destroyer (ship) unit has two ships in one tile, while all the other ships are just one (their graphics. I don't know if this was intented, but anyway..

It really is a lot of fun to play! BTW, what do you think about tech cost in mass production era? I'm playing on epic speed, and year 1929 making 1600 beakers per turn. All current techs cost 10 turns to complete. It seems that after the WW1 tech period the beaker costs are pretty high.
Not a problem, I'm just asking what your balance goal is :)

Keep up the good work, sir :)

Hulfgars Modpack Industrial Edition for BNW v11RC1

New skins from Wolfdog :
24 pounder with Redcoats as canon for England
Light cruiser/ Protected cruiser ethinc skins for England, Japan, France, America, Rome and Spain. Civ4 skins by Generalmatt

Balance and Bug correction :

Resource requirements :
Ironclad Ship of the Line : 2 timber, 1 coal, 1 steel
Ironclad Frigate : 1 timber, 1 coal, 1 steel

The Carrack will not upgrade as English Ship of the Line anymore (except for England!) but as regular Ship of the Line.

The Smokehouse will get a bonus from Bison resource.

Another change is that the mod is now split in 2 parts :
the data files (Hulfgars Modpack Industrial Edition for BNW v11RC1) and the art files (Hulfgars Modpack Industrial Edition Assets v1). This is to see if spliting the mod in 2 files does something against the save game bug.
Both .civ5mod files are packed in the 7zip file. Just unpacked them in the Civ5 Mods folder and the game will install them.

It should be compatible with the savegame of version 11RC.

A couple more small issues: Cargo ships graphics don't update according to tech level - I have researched radar but the cargo ships are still galleons

Also the Destroyer (ship) unit has two ships in one tile, while all the other ships are just one (their graphics. I don't know if this was intented, but anyway..

It really is a lot of fun to play! BTW, what do you think about tech cost in mass production era? I'm playing on epic speed, and year 1929 making 1600 beakers per turn. All current techs cost 10 turns to complete. It seems that after the WW1 tech period the beaker costs are pretty high.
Not a problem, I'm just asking what your balance goal is

Thanks TurboJ I will look into those issues.

The balance for tech cost is a problem because there is a limit in the cost of the techs. But I will work more on this.
You wish the late game techs to take more or less time to research?

The balance for tech cost is a problem because there is a limit in the cost of the techs. But I will work more on this.
You wish the late game techs to take more or less time to research?

Thanks man! Actually, now that I have played more, I'm not as concerned about the tech cost issue. My point was that once you get to WW1 era, new techs develpoment slow down a lot in relation to game years. So in the later eras, the game units aren't usually up to date (especially if there are weaker AI civs they will have very old units).

BUT, looking at this from gameplay balance perspective, I think the current tech costs actually make the late game more fun, as you won't be able to rush the late techs very easily - that gives you more game turns to spend with each tech level and extends the late game. I don't know how the balance would work with a very small civ though. In my current game I have a big 30-city empire on large map, and 2500 beakers per turn let me study once atomic era tech every 9 turns.

But now with more experience, gameplay wise, I think the current tech costs are pretty nice - but like I said I wouldn't know if that would be the case with a small civ.

Now then, I have a couple more things to report:

*City states seem not to develop better units after early industrial era. Actually, in my game, they do not develop gunpowder units at all, and no ships above ironclad era. Hence the CSs are very weak and easy for any enemies to conquer. (look at the picture to see my point)

*Artillery vs naval units doesn't feel right; the normal artillery unit makes 1 DMG vs an ironclad SotL... On the other hand, self-propelled guns do much more damage on ships. I think that's fair but the regular artillery should be able to hurt ships at least a little.

*For Germany at least, you are able to upgrade Panzers to Heavy tanks even if you haven't completed the heavy tank project. As for building them new, the limit does work.

*Also the game should have a limit for super heavy tanks (2 per civ) but the game seems to let me build more than that. At least, after I got the two tanks from completing the SHT project, building new ones isn't greyed out.

*EDIT* Paratroopers and commandos only have scout promotions available. In other words, they only have the 'survivalist' and 'scouting' promotions available to them, no military promotions whatsoever. Is this intented?

Then a couple of questions, if you have the time to answer them..

-Is there any way I could see all the different civ's unit skins, or unit pictures, without actually playing the mod up to any given era?

-Would it be possible for you to make the aircraft flying animations faster? To me it seems the general 'Faster aircraft mod' only works on certain planes, but not on must that appear on this mod.
The animations on your mod units are sp beautiful it would seem like a waste to have to use 'quick combat' just because aircraft animations take too long. Like when the AI uses 25 aircraft on a single turn... You see the point :)

Thanks, Hulfgar, for your fantastic work! I really feel like you should be getting paid for it!

Attachments

• 2014-11-26_00001.jpg
    2014-11-26_00001.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 109
I noticed how everytime i load and save my game. That coal amount doubles eventually showing 1920 coal surplus. I dont know if that's the reason for the save game bug but it worth checking out:)

I noticed how everytime i load and save my game. That coal amount doubles eventually showing 1920 coal surplus. I dont know if that's the reason for the save game bug but it worth checking out:)

Yep, I can concur - in my current game both coal and oil reserves are ridiculous, over 2000 something :)

Testing Industrial Edition for BNW v11RC1.
It looks very much to me like you have vanquished the save game bug, I didn't get it one time in a game with dozens of saves.
However oil refineries are still broken; they do not appear at all for me. In fact the last version of the mod in which oil / oil refineries were working was v10RC.
Eddie

*City states seem not to develop better units after early industrial era. Actually, in my game, they do not develop gunpowder units at all, and no ships above ironclad era. Hence the CSs are very weak and easy for any enemies to conquer. (look at the picture to see my point)

I see what the problem may be, the CS probably lack the steel resource. I will grant them some the same way they get ammunition and check all the other resources requirements by the way.

*Artillery vs naval units doesn't feel right; the normal artillery unit makes 1 DMG vs an ironclad SotL... On the other hand, self-propelled guns do much more damage on ships. I think that's fair but the regular artillery should be able to hurt ships at least a little.

I think that I will need to work more on this and split the artillery in 2 eras : from the catapult to Muzzleloader Cannons : low damage against ships, later greater damage because of the better accuracy.

*For Germany at least, you are able to upgrade Panzers to Heavy tanks even if you haven't completed the heavy tank project. As for building them new, the limit does work.

*Also the game should have a limit for super heavy tanks (2 per civ) but the game seems to let me build more than that. At least, after I got the two tanks from completing the SHT project, building new ones isn't greyed out.

From memory you can build 3 SH tanks per civ but I will check this and update the upgrade path for the german panzer.

*EDIT* Paratroopers and commandos only have scout promotions available. In other words, they only have the 'survivalist' and 'scouting' promotions available to them, no military promotions whatsoever. Is this intented?
That's probably because their combat class is "recon" now (same as the scouts). I will see what I can do about this.

-Is there any way I could see all the different civ's unit skins, or unit pictures, without actually playing the mod up to any given era?

If you use the debug panel and "select create" unit you can pop all the skins that are stored in the database.
For this you need to activate the debug options in the file config.ini.
If you need more help just ask and I will explain it with more details (but not before next wednesday).

-Would it be possible for you to make the aircraft flying animations faster?
yes, I will work on this.

I noticed how everytime i load and save my game. That coal amount doubles eventually showing 1920 coal surplus. I dont know if that's the reason for the save game bug but it worth checking out

try to delete the cache before reloading the game, if it doesn't help I will have to check how the data for the customs resources are saved.

However oil refineries are still broken; they do not appear at all for me. In fact the last version of the mod in which oil / oil refineries were working was v10RC.

Do you get the resources but not the skins or nothing at all. I will try on my side.

Note :

I will work on everything next wednesday, the power supply unit of my PC has died 2 days ago. Too bad for something only 9 months old !

Hi Hulfgar, Is there any way for you to split "Brave New World Version : Hulfgars Modpack Complete Edition for BNW" into separate loads like you have done with 'Hulfgars Modpack Industrial Edition" I would really love to play this mod, but unfortunately with the save game issue prevalent in this mod it makes it impossible,
also I like the paratroopers having scouting promotions to me it kinda makes the unit alittle different hence unique, IMO. If you have to change them can you at least keep the scouting promo's as well. Just a thought

Top Bottom