Civilization elimination thread

somehow you copied without babylon, dogmouth.

fixed

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 22
Denmark 8
Egypt 16
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 24
Huns 16
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 17
Spain 14
Sweden 21

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 22
Denmark 8
Egypt 16
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 24 (+1)
Huns 16 (-2)
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 17
Spain 14
Sweden 21

Huns: A one trick pony which the AI can not utilize well. After the initial rushes if you have not succeeded you are finished. The AI also seems to be very bad at taking advantage of this earily rushing mechanic.

Greece: Greece is probably one of the most versatile civs and powerful, whether a player or AI is playing as them. Great unique units, awesome ability and a real **** of an AI. Whats not to love?

Ah, thank you for the info :) I thought it was one time, or once per round. Time to cast the daily vote then:

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 22
Denmark 8
Egypt 16 +1 = 17
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 25
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 17
Spain 14 -2 = 12
Sweden 21

Today Egypt gets my love and Spain gets my hate. I was doing a Deity OCC with Egypt for the last 2 days and got a very nice score, even if it took like 10 more turns to win. I even managed to get my fave ToA + Petra and beat everyone to almost all of the later wonders, effectively cranking a new one every 7-8 turns at most. Talking about wonder production...

Spain gets my hate cause I wanted to try them out for OCC too, cause I never did... I also thought it would be great to try a start where you can get a quick 500 gold that can be used to hard-buy a Worker and a Library and gain some fast-going production and beakers. Suffice it to say, after 10 restarts I am nowhere. Just goes to show how situational the their leader ability is... Not to mention their UU are set for another era, and I have seen Spain being destroyed by warmongering AI more than a few times before they even get there.

EDIT: Fixed values to account for the previous post.

thanks for working babylon back in. yzman must have been picking while i was correcting, haha.

actually, if it says +1 or -2 adjust what the totals would be in your post. most people just copy paste but dont actually add or substract because they assumed the poster did it.

edit: thanks, that was fast!

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 22
Denmark 8
Egypt 16
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 25
Huns 16
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 14
Sweden 21

Greece: Two great UU's for an early rush, and there UA really helps keep those city state allies for along time, especially if you went down patronage.

Songhai: I understand why people like them, but this Civ IMO is the worst one left. There UA's promotions are not really great now that ships can take cities. The extra money from barb camps and cities is Ok but not really enough for a UA. I don't like there UU because i really don't melee attack cities unless i am ready to take them. There UB is nice but not really enough to make up for this civ.

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 23(+1)
Denmark 8
Egypt 14(-2)
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 25
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 17
Spain 14
Sweden 21

Egypt: The UA is pretty mediocre and not used very often unless you're wonderspamming(don't) even when you account for National wonders. The War Chariot is still a pretty awful unit. The Burial Tomb is a really cool building but it can't save Egypt in my eyes;the happiness being local doesn't help that.

China: I love the UA. Stronger great generals are a huge boon and faster spawn rate means more Citadels or even a spare one to put on a defensive front while you go attacking. Paper Makers suddenly make a mediocre building into a really good one. The real monster is the Chu-Ko-Nu, though. Basically having Logistics out of the gate is amazing and lets you just go straight to Range or other promotions and makes even freshly built Chu-Ko-Nu with no promotions a huge threat. Keeping the promotion on upgrade is even crazier; you can beeling Industrialization and get Range dual-attack Gatling Guns insanely early and just wreck things. One of my absolute favorite civs.

for future votes, if your post is taking longer than 3 minutes make sure you aren't casting while someone else is. posting is often and frequent here and it's easy to make the mistake of taking a long time to vote. also double check the previous few votes as well as yours after posting.

fixed for the previous 2 voters
(dont know why babylon keeps getting omitted)

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 17
China 23
Denmark 8
Egypt 14
England 18
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 12
Sweden 21

Everyone keeps saying GS's were nerfed, but that's not exactly true. Yes they were adjusted to work more like the GE. If your BPT for the 8 turns prior to bulbing is low, then yes it's a nerf because you likely wont get enough to complete the tech you want. However, if your BPT is high for the 8 turns prior to bulbing you can not only complete the tech you want, but end up with enough overflow to complete another tech on the following turn, which is actually a significant buff to the GS. I've bulbed with 5-6 GS's in the end game, one per turn and ended up with 8-10 techs completed with at least 6 of them being in the last era.

America 18
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 8
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 12
Sweden 21

Everyone keeps saying GS's were nerfed, but that's not exactly true.

People say that because they didn't get GSes for the science bonus, they used them for a specific recipe build in vanilla. A recipe build that no longer works mostly because of changes to the tech tree rather than changes to the GS. So a science bonus that is similar or, often, superior to (if you have particularly high bpt, or early in the game) the bonus in vanilla doesn't register because it doesn't complement the same "strategy" (in inverted commas because a recipe build order hardly qualifies as a strategy).

Greece: Greece is probably one of the most versatile civs and powerful, whether a player or AI is playing as them. Great unique units, awesome ability and a real **** of an AI. Whats not to love?

For me, they're boring, and that's not to love. I admit I've only recently come to appreciate the Hoplite - pre-G&K only the Immortal was any good of the unique spearmen, but the Hoplite is now a decent UU. Companion Cavalry are phenomenal. But I really don't like the passivity of the UA, and it's also been somewhat weakened by the general irrelevance of natural influence gain/loss post-G&K: resting influence and quests are what matter, and with influence with favoured allies routinely exceeding 200, and often 500, a halving of influence lost per turn is trivial.

Great summary, which was why I gave my first upvote to Greece. If all civs played aggressively liked Greece (using their own strengths), then we would have a real and challenging game.

America 18-2=16
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 8+1=9
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 15
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 12
Sweden 21

Denmark, I've already spent a lot of time praising on these boards. What I'll say of this list is that it's lucky it's not near a coastline.

The UA is just a thrill to play with. The Berserker, also, shouldn't be getting dinged for the iron-units problem in G&K, because for all we know that will be fixed in the future.

America, I've also talked a lot about. The sight thing is just too passive for a movement based trait. (Exactly opposite of Denmark, who's movement trait leads to engaged, creative guerrilla tactics.) What do I need sight for? In every game there is one constant which is that if I'm exploring land then I'm maximizing movement by pathing efficiently. I only need the default sight level to see the nearest obstruction. America can't see over trees. Maybe they are nice on funny maps like Asia or Plains but I play the maps the game was designed for.

I also understand that America is useful for aggressive Deity plays but I don't hand myself free money from the AI every other turn to build rush armies; I deal with the limits of the game and America doesn't offer anything for core strength or wild fun.

I think I'm going to confine my answers to the new G+K civs for this vote.

America 16
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 9
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 24
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 16
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 12
Sweden 19

Of all the Gods and Kings civs, I've had the most fun playing as the Netherlands. I've got a lot of good use out of the UA, I love the Sea Beggars for taking out cities with a navy (Something I never bothered with in Vanilla), and the Polders are awesome, even if you don't have many opportunities to build them.

Sweden on the other hand hasn't been much fun for me. I'd rather use my Great People rather than give them away, except may a GG or two, but I don't get many of those. And I think it's too hard to get DoFs from other civs, making their UA difficult to take advantage of. That might be partly because of the difficulty I play at. I play on easier levels where I can usually build the vast majority of the wonders. This makes it easier to get the "Built wonders they covet" diplo hit, making it harder to make friends with them.

America 16
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 9
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 25
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 20
Maya 27
Mongolia 16
The Netherlands 16
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 10
Sweden 19

I have to keep my votes going. The Inca are really the best, well rounded civ in the game. Easy to get any VC on any difficulty.

Spain, on the other, hand really depends on the luck of the spawn. I'm currently playing them (Large/Continents/King) and I am completely wiping the floor with the other civs, all because I got a great spawn next to the GBR and was able to claim it, netting 8 SPT right off the bat. However, I've had other games where I got completely dominated.

America 16
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 9
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 14
Inca 25
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 21
Maya 27
Mongolia 14
The Netherlands 16
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 10
Sweden 19

I really like koreas ua I find im allways far ahead in tech when I play as them even on the higher levels.

Im just not drawn to mongolia.

America 16
Arabia 23
Aztecs 23
Babylon 22
Byzantium 23
Carthage 21
Celts 18
China 23
Denmark 9
Egypt 15
England 16
Ethiopia 19
France 20
Greece 26
Huns 12 -2
Inca 25
Iroquois 14
Japan 18
Korea 21
Maya 27
Mongolia 14
The Netherlands 16
Ottoman empire 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 21
Songhai 15
Spain 11 +1
Sweden 19

I really like the Huns being added to the game but they're only a serious treat in the Ancient and Classical era's. So if you have them as a neighbor, all it takes is to stop their attacks during those eras and after that go on the assault. The AI has also been very poorly made, which usually doesn't build more then two cities and keeps its army within its own borders. When you play them you are also heavily dependable on those two eras since you have to go on the assault quickly. The idea of stealing city names is quite silly, it would have looked a bit better if they had picked some Roman ones. Seeing names such as Alkmaar, Zwolle and Boston just looks silly.

I don't get it why people keep complaining about too situational wonders/civs because they can put a lot of variation in the game. I like the Spanish because their UA motivates you to go on the explore and with some luck make a bunch of money. What people also seem to forget is the extra bonus if a wonder is within your borders, 20+ happiness from the FoY is quite a lot. The units are also really cool and useful, also very good for the settling of new cities.

Top Bottom