Map Labels

Getting this error now:

Spoiler :

I don't have Excel on this computer - but if I make some lists for Australia, Canada, South-East Asia, Mesoamerica and South America - would you use them? I can link them via google spreadsheets.

Getting this error now:

Spoiler :

Interesting, not where I expected the error to be coming from. Seems to be a problem with extracting values from the options controls (text boxes/check boxes) that I haven't run into. Would you mind attaching your lua.log?

I don't have Excel on this computer - but if I make some lists for Australia, Canada, South-East Asia, Mesoamerica and South America - would you use them? I can link them via google spreadsheets.

That would be great! The only question I have is whether you'd want the Canada and Australia XML in Map Labels or directly in your mods (either way I'm happy to help with generating the XML files from the names lists). The advantage of having them in your mods is more control. The advantage of having them in the map labels mod is players could use them with other Canada/Australia civs (if they exist) and you wouldn't have to bother with getting SQL to update tables only if Map Labels is loaded.

It's a good question.

Including them in Map Labels would allow Iroquois to use Canada, Aztecs and Maya can use Mesoamerica, Indonesia to use SEA and Brazil/Inca to use South America.

It's a question of whether we think mod makers should update their civs to be compatible with Map Labels or vice versa.

Also, forgot to enable logging :(

These are fantastic! Thank you. If you don't mind I'll go ahead and put them in the next version of the mod. I can actually go ahead and hook up your custom civs to these lists in the main mod (so you don't have to do it individually by mod), if you give me a list of the "Type"s in the civilizations table.

here is log

Thanks! Looks like the problem is being caused by the SaveUtils I'm using to save the game data (checks this at very beginning of mod loading, so an error there would cause the rest of the mod's Lua not to execute). I wonder if this is causing the problem TPangolin is having as well... It's outdated anyways so I'll try to transition to Pazryk's TableSaverLoader for the next version.

Sure thing, what exactly did you mean by types?

Did you also want me to go through all the major civs here and determine what names they'd use (or combination thereof?)?

Here are the Types for the Colonialist Legacies civs at least:

COLONIALAUSTRALIA - Australia
COLONIALCANADA - Canada
MEXICOREPUBLIC - Mesoamerica
JFD_PHILIPPINES - SEA
BLACKFOOTFIRSTNATION - First Americans
DENEFIRSTNATION - Canada
BOER - Africa
VIETNAM - SEA
CLINUIT - Canada

I reckon modders could post their own types if they want compatibility.

Thanks for making this mod, hazel16! I always thought Civ V could use a map labeling feature, and this mod does exactly what I wanted, down to the automatic naming of terrain features based on nearby civs. Excellent work!

Also might worth noting that when opening up the dynamic options in game, you cannot close it again even after pressing close repeatedly.

Thanks, Lord Herman!

Like TPangolin suggested, any modders out there who'd like built-in compatibility, send me your civ 'Type' names (ex. CIVILIZATION_FRANCE) and which culture(s) you'd like them assigned to.

Cultures we have so far:
African
Arabian
Australia
British
Canada
East Asian (China, Korea, Mongolia)
First Americans (N and S American native civs)
French
Germanic (includes Scandinavian names too)
Indian
Mediterranean (Italian/Greek,Ancient world-style names)
Meso America
Pacific (Japan, Hawaii)
Portuguese
Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Champa, Vietnam, Papua, Philippines)
Slavic
South America
Spanish

Also might worth noting that when opening up the dynamic options in game, you cannot close it again even after pressing close repeatedly.

When you get a chance would you mind sending me your lua log file?

I really like this idea! I've always wanted something like this in Civ 5, but nobody ever successfully got it done. Though, this system + implementation looks perfect for the job! Anyhow, given that a lot of my planned civs/a lot of the more recently released civs by other modders are located throughout the United States of America, I propose 3 different "American" culture types, aside from the existing Native American one. Western US (Everything west of the Rockies, and parts of British Columbia that are overlooked by TP's Canadian names), Southern US (Texas to the Atlantic, more or less), and the United States/Northeast US (everything in between; New England + the Midwest). With careful consideration not to overlap with any of TPangolin's names, I've compiled them in a similar manner here.

As for my Civ IDs, here are my released civs:
  • CIVILIZATION_RHODESIA - African
  • CIVILIZATION_TEXAS - Southern US
And my unreleased/planned civs:
  • CIVILIZATION_YUCATAN - Mesoamerican
  • CIVILIZATION_CALIFORNIA - Western US
  • CIVILIZATION_CASCADIA - Western US
  • CIVILIZATION_CSA - Southern US

Thanks RawSasquatch for the American names! Currently I'm using a combo of British,Spanish and First American names for the Americans and it doesn't feel quite right, so I'm glad you did this. I can't see them in google docs though (I think you have to approve my request to access them).

ETA: I'll add these to v5

Sounds like a very interesting thing... If you need it, these are mine:

CIVILIZATION_LEUGI_CUBA Meso America (You might need a Caribbean group, not sure)
CIVILIZATION_TROPICO Meso America (Caribbean)
CIVILIZATION_QULLANA First American (These are ingame the Aymara)
CIVILIZATION_MUISCA First American
CIVILIZATION_MAPUCHE First American
CIVILIZATION_TUPI First American
CIVILIZATION_TIWANAKU First American (I think you may need to separate First American)
CIVILIZATION_ARGENTINA South America
CIVILIZATION_BOLIVIA South America
CIVILIZATION_CHILE South America
CIVILIZATION_GRANCOLOMBIA South America
CIVILIZATION_PARAGUAY South America
CIVILIZATION_PERU South America
CIVILIZATION_LEUGI_ISRAEL Arabian

Map Labels v4 Uploaded
Not compatible with previous saves

Changes:
-transitioned from SaveUtils to TableSaverLoader (v0.16)
-big changes to how data is stored, cleaned up Options.XML, added certain label-type specific preferences to own tables
-mode changes: new Quick-Add mode (CTRL-A) that adds Player icon-only label to map, right-click in a mode now exits mode
-added ability to assign cultures to civs in-game; civilizations can be assigned multiple cultures
-new cultures: added Slavic, Portuguese and French, as well as (thanks to TPangolin) Mesoamerican, South American, SE Asia, Australia, and Canada
-labels: battle label tooltips now show range of years and civ's shortdescription
-mod compatibility: now automatically assigns cultures to TPangolin's, Leugi's and tarcisiocm's civs
-UI: added tooltips to options and DLG panels
-bug fixes: dynamic labels generator feature header text, generated labels will no longer be added to plots with natural wonders, cities or existing labels, DLG no longer fails if civ does not have defined culture​

As always, feedback/bug reports welcomed! Please attach your lua.log if you run across a bug. If you are a modder, post or message me the names (from Civilizations table Type column) of your civs and cultures for automatic assignment of cultures.

Thanks Leugi -- I included your civs in v4 (just posted).

(You might need a Caribbean group, not sure)
...(I think you may need to separate First American)

I'm not planning on making any more cultural names lists myself, but you can create them and add them directly to your mods (you can use Excel 2010 spreadsheet in post 3 to make XML quickly) or send me the lists of names for inclusion here.

v4 works however i can only place the red flag icon. if i click the red flag icon in the options nothing happens (no error this time) the other icons don't appear to choose a different one and the other icon types don't place on the map either. also the ctrl+A shortcut doesn't seem to work when i click the tile again nothing happens.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    9.5 KB · Views: 105
Thanks RawSasquatch for the American names! Currently I'm using a combo of British,Spanish and First American names for the Americans and it doesn't feel quite right, so I'm glad you did this. I can't see them in google docs though (I think you have to approve my request to access them).

ETA: I'll add these to v5

Sorry for the late response, I just saw these replies. Were you able to view it? If not, I downloaded it as an Excel file, and reuploaded said file here. I hope it works!

Top Bottom