Orbis - the original thread

Hey Ahwaric, I'm trying to check out the new version, small problem, when I click on the patch a link, it brings me to a screen saying I don't have permission to access it. Looks like it's pointing to a forum post instead of filefront. Any ideas?

My bad. I posted a link to a file while editing - that is why you did not have the permission.
I fixed all the links, so it should work now.
Sorry for the problem.

No luck with download. File Front says it's missing. (7:25pm CST, Sep 28)

That is strange as all the links work fine for me now.
You may try to go to http://hosted.filefront.com/Olchomir and then select Orbi 0.13.

If you still will not be able to get it I will reupload it somewhere else tomorrow afternoon (well, my afternoon anyway...).

It's going now. Must have been an intermittent problem.

I was about to report a horrible CtD class bug introduced by 0.13, but then I noticed that the fan on my videocard was strangely quiet. Damn thing is so strong it sucked the wiring right into the blades. :crazyeye:

It's good to be playing Orbi again. Had forgotten how fun this mod is.

Edit: Hmm... I keep getting early (around 30 turns) cvgamecoredll.dll errors.

I played a bit and did not get the crash you mentioned. Anyone else is getting it? Also, can you give me some info on civs & what was happening in game, or even post a screen?

While hunting for the above bug I have found another one - svartalfar worker art define was missing and causing CtD. I also fixed red blob khazad axemen problem.
The fix is attached below. It does not break anything.

Attachments

• 0.13 a quickfix.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 73
I played a bit and did not get the crash you mentioned. Anyone else is getting it? Also, can you give me some info on civs & what was happening in game, or even post a screen?

While hunting for the above bug I have found another one - svartalfar worker art define was missing and causing CtD. I also fixed red blob khazad axemen problem.
The fix is attached below. It does not break anything.

Man, you are good. I was just about to report the Svalt worker crash.

Since nothing else seemed to work I installed your quickfix. Lo' and behold, the cvgamecoredll.dll error went away. Sort of figures since about 30 turns usually marks the appearance of workers.

hey there Ahwaric, I love most of the changes you made in this mod :goodjob: I was wondering why you decided to take out gunpowder resource though :D

My bad. I posted a link to a file while editing - that is why you did not have the permission.
I fixed all the links, so it should work now.
Sorry for the problem.

No worries Ahwaric, I've got it all up & running now & I'm glad to have your modmod back in action. All's looking good so far but I see you have a save breaker patch in the works so I'll probably hold off on getting too far in my current game till that hits.

Thanks again.

I removed gunpowder for several reasons
1) there is no such resource, black powder was made by mixing charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter. They are common enough to never cause problems in getting gunpowder. I know that FfH is fantasy, but I try to keep Orbi stick with real life in the things that are present in real life ;)

2)Arquebusiers no longer ignore city defences (I find this idea strange, arquebusiers do and longbows do not? judging by the method of shooting it should be the other way around). Thus, they are weaker, but quite cheap. So, I do not want to add rare resource requirement.

3)I added several new resources, so I cut the one I found not needed.

The patch will probably be ready tomorrow. I plan to play a LAN game today. I will test the new features and I am sure I will find some new bugs. After fixing them I will post the patch.

I see, you have a point there. but I like to have gunpowder and arquebusiers as almighty hi-tech units, in vanilla bts I tend to lose interest after the gunpowder "era" kicks in ;) is duskwood the only "strategic" resource you added btw? I like that a lot, special wood reminds me of Patapon, awesome game :D

Do not get me wrong, they are still powerfull. Bit weaker than crossbows, but much cheaper.
I think of boosting them a bit. I just do not want the "ignore city defences" on anything except siege engines. I also do not want any of the units to be self-sufficient. I prefer the need for diversified armies :)
Currently arquebusiers have the same collateral & ranged damage as crossbows (even a bit higher limit at ranged attacks), but have 10 strength instead of 11 and are weaker against melee, no bonus on hills too.

diversified armies are always fun, your reworking of the melee line is great. combat is a little streamlined in base FFH, shock I-II are by far the best promotions availablre imho ;)

I have some kind of a weird error...
I can't play Play Now! because when I select any leader it still shows "random leader" in the center and "Next" does nothing... And if I start a custom game I'm crashed at the beginning...

P.S. Crash is caused by the FFH movie... Let me try to guess it by myself :).
That's weird... I just moved FFH from Laptop to PC and now THIS.

Hey, have you thought about implimenting some of the changes from Mailbox's economy mod? Im not sure it would be compatible just overwriting files because of different improvements. I think it would be cool to mix some of that mod in orbi.

Love orbi... it rocks!

Ok, after some testing I decided to release the patch. You can get it here.

Seems to be working fine, but the expanded mercenaries feature when used by human player in multiplayer (AI still uses old mechanics) is causing instant OOS. I will try to find a workaround for this, as I really like it for SP and hot seat games but for now, be warned.
I have added Orbi menu theme, and by the way decided to add the s to the name to make it proper latin. So, it is called Orbis in menu (latin - orb, like our terra planet).

I am not sure what causing your problems Dean. Orbi is using resources from FfH 0.33 directory, so if there is none with that name it will not start.

I will check Mailbox's mod, I plan to do it for some time now :)

By the way, have you read the 0.34 changelog? Some great stuff in there. I am a bit worried about guilds removal (hope it will not break mine), but hope it will be ok. There are some new modding options that I plan to utilize, I will also probably re-add some of the removed guilds. I think mostly of mages guild, let's say Circle of Eight ;), using normal guild mechanics. Guild of the nine will still be in. I also want some kind of thieves guild in game, but I think about merging it with Stewards. What do you think?
I will miss Barbatos, too. On the other hand, I was planing an update to Marnok's last release. But now, I will wait and see the version of The Team.

I hope .34 doesn't break guilds as well, I like some of the old ones you mentioned, as well as the ones in orbi now. Think you could keep guild of hammers as well? maybe make it spread like corporations for the free forge? - Same with the mages guild, I think if it could get beefed up a bit with a special building and spreadable like religions and corporations.
A new thieves guild is cool, maybe have a random effect where they steal opponents gold for a price and have a chance of getting caught? -4 relations? As well as introduce some of the espionage features (looks like some of espionage is in .34 but how much is still unknown)

Top Bottom