favorite era in civ 5?

slyone14

Warlord
So i have a unique fun favorite question for all!

What is your favorite era in a game? For me its always the modern era. The units and battles during this time to me are intense.also uu during modern era is my favorite, it just fits my style.

What about you all and why?

My favorite era is classical. Composite bows, swordsmen, spears, horsemen. It's the ancient wild west, when everything is still pretty new and untamed, a lot remains to be discovered, and your young civ is fighting to find its place in the world and grow strong. By the age of rifles and cannons, it starts to get stale for me. By the modern era, if it's a domination game, I burn out before I manage to finish the long, slow slog through XX civs to the distant finish. By then, there is no newness or discovery left, just work.

I've always liked warfare during the Renaissance era, both in Civ and other war games. I'm obviously romanticizing it, but that time period always seems like a time of gentlemen fighting gentlemen wars, and all was in good spirit. You all lined up with your muskets and cannon, and let the better man win. After that time period, wars turned significantly uglier and it is difficult to view things like the WW2 air bombings as anything but terrible.

From a gameplay perspective, the Renaissance is also the time when the game finally lets you use your war machine. Up until that point you are either pre-occupied with trying to establish your empire, or capped by happiness/gold issues. Not that you can't start war-mongering before then, just that there is a notable difference in how the game transitions: Map begins to fill up, the restraints on happiness/gold begin to lessen, can enter ocean tiles, etc.

I prefer to play as ancient civs as well as ancient eras with the very first units in the game. That's it!

Classical/Medieval

Classical has the best unit list (and most balanced) and the UU are most diverse. As well, it is a good place to challenge more important civs before they can runaway.

Medieval is behind in most of these but it has trading posts because I can't build farms everywhere without happiness of later on.

I love the Information age. By that point there are large empires, big mobile armies, and an incredible amount of strategic options available to you as you plan to invade another civ. Sometimes i just enjoy turning off science victory so I can spend more time running around engaging in giant wars.

late Ancient/ entire Classical era / early Midevil

Because that's when all the decisions are made that will win (or lose) the game.

I always like medieval. Swordsman, Knights, Pikeman, Bowman, just all the traditional units. To me it's usually the time I move out to take cities if I am going to that game.

Personally my favorite era is the Industrial era. When your civilization enters the Industrial Era you know that things are about to change. Because in the Industrial Era the outlay of the tech tree change dramatically, from the ancient Era to the Renascence Era the tech tree is pretty straight forwards, you know what techs you want and for what reason. Before the Industrial Era there are "military techs" for unlocking new units and there are "economical" techs for improving your cities and tiles. But at the Industrial Era all that changes, choosing what technologies you want becomes harder. Prioritizing which technologies you should go for becomes tricky, the diction becomes even harder as in the Industrial Era the "scientific race" starts to heat up.

In the Industrial Era and forward you must ensure that you don´t get behind your "fellow competitors" technology speaking, lets just hope you´ve done well in the Rationalism tree. Because if you get in a war with another civilization who got Riflemen and Gatling Guns while your army still consist of perhaps some Musketmen and a bunch of knights you´re going to realize that your pretty much "with water up to your waist" if you like. (Not to mention the game changer that Artillery is.)

It is also in the Industrial Era you get to make the "ideology choice of direness", Freedom, Autocracy or Order? And why not mention that it is in the Industrial Era that spying becomes serious, 2 spies are very much more of a deal than just 1 spy. Sure the "Ages of Religions" are past but the Industrial Era brings so many new aspects of Civ V into play. For me, before the Industrial Era the game is pretty much just "foreplay" Because it is in the Industrial Era that the sh#t gets real, and that will only become more true when the Brave New World expansion comes out.

I like exploration the most, so for me it's the Ancient, Classical and Medieval eras. After that there's usually no more clouds on the map; ofc there is still land to claim, but it's not as fun as marching/sailing into the unknown. There's really no remedy to this problem that I can think of... Exploring the Moon or other planets might be doable in a third expansion, but by then the game's usually in the mop-up phase so it'd just be a pointless chore.

I usually quit my game when it's clear than I'm going to win or lose. Most of the time this means early Industrial era or a bit later. By then I have 5-10 good cities (depending on whether I go tall or wide), an experienced army of mostly ranged units, and an unsurpassed tech lead. I've never finished a Domination game because I hate the micromanaging of units in war after it's clear that I've won already. I kinda wish you could enable stack combat for the last third of the game. :p

I like the Modern Age, during which, there's so much going on that you need to be focused on many things. There are long-range attacks, but there will always be a need to go in there in person and fix things up.

I like the Atomic Era the best because that when M'urica is the strongest... no really I actually like the atomic era the best because that is when the late game begins. almost every civ has chosen Freedom, Order, or Autocracy so the world is truly divided and I have seen a few world wars (I started them, but hey :blush: ) also I think that combat reaches a weird place where land armies are at the same time necessary and not with planes, bombers, and navies that have global reach. add to this the mostly level playing field for UUs and Atom bombs and you get a game changing era.

I like the Atomic & Modern eras. I like wars with air power & tanks. These wars also seem to go by faster & be more fun than wars in the Ancient/Classical eras as I dont have to wait 10 turns for my units to get across the map to the enemy cities. By this time I have railroads in place, etc.

I like the Atomic & Modern eras. I like wars with air power & tanks. These wars also seem to go by faster & be more fun than wars in the Ancient/Classical eras as I dont have to wait 10 turns for my units to get across the map to the enemy cities. By this time I have railroads in place, etc.
This. The game begins after 1900 AD, and the rest is just foreplay.

Late medieval/early renaissance. Knights, crossbows, trepuchets and longswords are all in the last tech level on medieval era, and that's where best UU's are (Keshiks, longbows, CKN, camel archers and little later janissaries and minutemen too). Little later comes muskets and then cannons. All range units have still only 2 range.

I don't like early ancient rushes, and i start building bigger military in classical. It's risky tactic, but i want to found 3-5 cities early or build early wonder to get good economy at the start. I sometimes do a mistake and ignore military too much in ancient and lose a city :lol:

Medieval is where my first big wars usually happen. Late eras combat is kinda fun, but late game itself is boring and some games are already clear at that point. It's good that they add more content to late game in BNW, that should make it more interesting.

@Sake

Same here mate. I don't like early rushes. actually Huns are my favourite but I don't recruit too much soldiers early. but, I've never lost a city with Huns. (with other factions I lost a few times) 2 Horse Archers can defend any cities very well. anyway, lately, I changed my strategy. recruiting a few HA and Rams and destroying potential enemies my new strategy. it's fun.

Top Bottom