Fix-It List

I did the render error fix, and the art pack patch when it didn't work and now instead of getting the render error message, the screen just goes black for a few seconds then I end up back on the desktop.

Deeply disappointed, but it looks like I'll have to take the game back.

There is another problem: if the "My Games" directory is under a path with certain non-English language (like Chinese), CIV4 won't be able to load or save games. If you try to save, you'll find the directory name is empty. No errors, just nothing is really saved. If you try to load, also no error, and nothing happens.

@esaikku: I haven't seen a fix for the mouse/keyborad freeze. Can you try a PS2 mouse instead of USB?

@WarX: Very interesting - testers used older drivers! Where is that press release?

@SilentScream: Sounds like bad video drivers, again. Try reverting the drivers to an older version.

@microbe: Is there a path setting in the .ini file?

@Pyerun: Try reverting your video drivers to an older version.

alamo, its was a Firaxis or Take Two interview or something (not nVidia, that was a typo on my part). Someone in the forums posted saying there was a fix thats been released, people corrected him letting him know that interview was old, and Firaxis was talking about the ATI graphics problems. They provided a link, and in that link someone at Firaxis was asked about it, and Firaxis responded by saying they will be releasing a fix for the ATI problem very soon, and they will have a look at "other nvidia ---driver--- problems". That fix was the unpack thing posted on the civ support site.

The testers used older drivers comment is just an obviously logical one, since the latest nvidia driver (81.85) was released after the game went gold. The driver prior to that was released on September 2nd, which is also not far back enough to say it was used during beta testing (after beta testing you go into the another coding phase, then CD/DVD mastering phase, then Manual printing, then distribution..etc all that does not happen in 1 month). In addition, if we were to take the driver prior to that which was released August 12, then we probably got very close to the beta tester driver. Although it was definatly not the driver used while coding the game, since coding began atleast over a year ago if not more, so therefore the coders were using a very old driver.

This is normal, since it is nVidia's responsibility to make sure their new drivers are backward compatible so that they do not break older games, thus coders do not have to worry about that, same as saying coders were coding on older graphics cards, not the latest card that was released yesterday.

Since the two threads that mention downgrading your drivers (one for ATI, and the one i posted for nVidia) had the most success stories, it lends more credibility to what Firaxis has said regarding nvidia driver problems. Thus I believe we have found our culprit. Ofcourse we are all still waiting for an official patch :)

PS: for the life of me I could not find a "search" feature for these forums, except for that useless google search box at the top right.

I found that CIV4 does post itself in the system with CPU priority "Below Normal". After changing that in the task manager (right click on the tool bar, Task Manager, Processes, Civilization4.exe -> Right click, Set Prioirity to Above Normal) the game runs already for 2 hours.
Also, the cache directory is NOT located in "My Documents/My Games/Civ 4" directory, but in the "Application Data/My Games/Civ 4 etc". Running the game windowed may improve the stability. Good lcuk to all and a lot of patience;)

I apologise if this is a poor place for this post - but is anyone else experiencing the following particular crash:
If I choose HUGE map in anything but "Terra" world form, or EPIC game speed, the game crashes immediately after it goes to the map setup phase - I click on "Done" - the computer freezes and I have to reboot

@Edwin: That's good to know. Thanks.

@elbow: Sounds like a video memory issue. Try increasing AGP aperature or reducing detail.

Sorry for being AWOL. I finally got my copy Sunday. It worked fine out of the box (so far). No problems with people or details. I did clean up my system, defrag, adjust virtual memory, install SP2, put in Radeon 9600, and disable a bunch of services.

Only minor annoyances to report so far - the 'play' disk is not for play, the camera can only rotate 90 degrees, units not taking orders seriously the first time, no way to unfocus units.

I cant seem to get any color on to the map. Has anyone come up with a brilliant solution? :mischief:

Since there are no patches available, since take2 doesnt answer their phones and barely responds in email, I am about ready to chuck this game to the curb.

Ah, the tragedy of wanting something so bad and not being able to fully have it.

Ginger

How do you fix the Crash to desktop? I have dubble the maximum requirements for the game, and it runs smooth, everything is perfect, just one problem and thats the CTD after 20-30 turns, I think its coused by some event, like new Wonder or religion. You think the new patch will fix it or can I do something? I reeealy want to play... or get my money back.:crazyeye:

/HunteR

There's really no fix as of yet, but there are ways to lessen the damage.

If you're running fullscreen, try windowed mode. (INI file)

If you're crashing due to movies, turn them off. (INI file)

There are a bunch of other fixers that would be worth a try...if you can find them among the complaints.

Pyerun said:
I've solved it; the black terrain problem is not about the driver version, it's a bug that must be fixed in the next patch.

---> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3275169&postcount=18

Pyerun, if I understand your post correctly, the best workaround is to change MapVisibe to 1 in the suggested section? Obviously this isn't perfect as the whole map is now revealed!

I have downloaded but not installed the Omega drive - should I go ahead with this anyway? Nothing to lose, right?

Or should I wait for a patch?

Hamlyn said:
Pyerun, if I understand your post correctly, the best workaround is to change MapVisibe to 1 in the suggested section? Obviously this isn't perfect as the whole map is now revealed!

I have downloaded but not installed the Omega drive - should I go ahead with this anyway? Nothing to lose, right?

Or should I wait for a patch?

In my post, I say that I tried the XML-file edit, and by that I've proved that it's not a graphics problem and that it's an error in the game. If you want to play the game until the patch comes out, that's the only way.

ALTHOUGH, some gamers were able to fix the problem by updating their driver using Omega. From what I've read, the Omega driver is compatible with any ATI Radeon or Nvidia GF video card, so you have nothing to lose.

It didn't fix anything for me, though.

This really is very shoddy on the part of Firaxis. No news on a patch at their website!

Here is a useful one:

For those experiencing the "CLICK ON Civ4.exe, loading screen and then nothing happening problem" (Where the screen flickers in some cases and then you are presented with a wonderful view of the desktop)

Thanks to the wonderful error log of Civ4 (and you gotta admit its great), when you install the game in C:\Programms\STANDARD DIR\ the wonderful world of Windows Rights Management plays tricks on the Programs directory, meaning even if you are administrator you cannot for some unknown reason be able to read certain files.

This is also an alternative solution to the "Change User Account" problem because it is actually the same thing:

Install the game OUTSIDE the Program directory, preferably on another Partition OTHER THAN C:

This actually kills several birds with one stone. Tested this on several machines all with positive results.

sgthunter said:
How do you fix the Crash to desktop? I have dubble the maximum requirements for the game, and it runs smooth, everything is perfect, just one problem and thats the CTD after 20-30 turns, I think its coused by some event, like new Wonder or religion. You think the new patch will fix it or can I do something? I reeealy want to play... or get my money back.:crazyeye:

For ATI cards go here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137255

For nVidia cards go here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137370

Top Bottom