Israel In BNW?

Should Israel be included as a civ in BNW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think much about the actual Civs included. They are just stat boosts. I care more about how they would impact my play style and how cool their leader screen model looks than any real world historical significance or anything else that isn't game related.

In view of some of the other civilizations that have been included, I would think Israel would be obvious. Israel is more of a "civilization" than Ethiopia, or Songhai, or the Iroquois. Calling the Iroquois a civilization is really stretching it.

How on Earth is Israel more of a "civilization" than Ethiopia or Songhai?

How on Earth is Israel more of a "civilization" than Ethiopia or Songhai?
Such comparisons are almost invariably specious. There are no rigid standards for what comprises a civilization, so how can one candidate meet those standards better than another in anything less than an arbitrary fashion?

What you guys need to realize is that It's all about giving people different type of strategies that they can learn to like, everything else is flavour.

I still can't fathom why Israel isn't included in the game, considering it's huge religious, political, intellectual and cultural impact on the history of the whole world, both in the ancient and modern era.

And BTW, I'm always amazed how people here argue if X is a 'civilization' or not without really getting into what constitutes a civilization. It's a very dubious, ridiculous term. Based on which 'civs' have been included in the game so far, I'd say we're rather speaking of cultures, not 'civilizations'. And the only reason for including or not including one should be if it's interesting to play.

I'd say Israel is rather interesting.

I think it's perfect the way it is now - as a city-state.
What I mean is that if you look at news, it's like a hotly contested religilous city-state, America gifting it units and gaining faith points, and enemies ready to devour it. I'm not being political but I like it that way, same with some other city-states as well that I think work better as a CS.

Otherwise I think Israel would have cool options for uniques, everything from religion to espionage to military. I just think it's a good as a city-state in the game.

+1. But I wish they would use Israel as an example to make city-state interactions more interesting like city-states having problems that require external involvement.

My Idea

Israel (Background/Writing To symbolize the blood and iron used to create the Ancient Kingdom.

Leader: Solomon
Capital: Jerusalem
UU: Slingshot Warrior (A warrior that has a bonus vs melee units)
UB: Synagogue (A temple that also produces culture)
UA: Promised Land- Great Tile Improvements are sources of Archaeology. All units get a bonus toward enemy-controlled Israeli cities

I still can't fathom why Israel isn't included in the game, considering it's huge religious, political, intellectual and cultural impact on the history of the whole world, both in the ancient and modern era.

And BTW, I'm always amazed how people here argue if X is a 'civilization' or not without really getting into what constitutes a civilization. It's a very dubious, ridiculous term. Based on which 'civs' have been included in the game so far, I'd say we're rather speaking of cultures, not 'civilizations'. And the only reason for including or not including one should be if it's interesting to play.

Well-said. Generally, when someone says "this is just fine as a city-state" I'm often left with the impression that they're expressing a bias for civ's that are expansive and, to some degree, imperialistic.

The Zulu enjoy wide support as a "must-have", largely for a rampage that began and ended with a single vicious lunatic. Less of a civ, more of a cult of personality. OTOH, an insular civ that doesn't have a distinguished record of successful military campaigns can be written off as a city-state. They weren't "significant" enough, meaning they didn't kick enough booty.

What makes that odd is that four-city-tradition is all the rage these days.

Well-said. Generally, when someone says "this is just fine as a city-state" I'm left with the impression that they're expressing a bias for civ's that are expansive and, to some degree, imperialistic.

The Zulu enjoy wide support as a "must-have", largely for a rampage that began and ended with a single vicious lunatic. Less of a civ, more of a cult of personality. OTOH, an insular civ that doesn't have a distinguished record of successful military campaigns can be written off as a city-state. They weren't "significant" enough, meaning they didn't kick enough booty.

What makes that odd is that four-city-tradition is all the rage these days.

I think that many of us are opposed to including Israel because we don't really know anything about the ancient kingdom. Religious texts are not reliable history and we have almost no other records of the Kingdom of Israel existing, much less about its leaders, successes, and failures.

True, but that's also true of many ancient civ's. We take a lot on faith, from stuff we find on old tablets and often from the second-hand details provided by a few prolific civ's like Egypt.

True, but that's also true of many ancient civ's. We take a lot on faith, from stuff we find on old tablets and often from the second-hand details provided by a few prolific civ's like Egypt.

The difference is that most of what we think we know about Israel comes from the Bible. For other civs such as Egypt and Babylon and the Hittites we have a slew of resources, including inscriptions on monuments, tablets, records and second-hand details from other civilizations, and so on - to the shock of many, Israel is barely mentioned, if at all, in the records of various contemporary states such as Egypt and Assyria. For instance, while the Bible talks about a so-called Shishak invading Judah, on the Egyptian side of things, while most scholars associate Shishak with the Pharaoh Sheshonq I (to my knowledge), Sheshonq's various inscriptions and records make barely any mention of Judah, if at all, only vaguely discussing how he went over to Canaan and beat the crap out of some places. As another example, I've also read that the famous figures David and Solomon aren't mentioned anywhere in contemporary records in neighboring states. Contrast this with the records in Egypt and elsewhere which are not only abundant in comparison, but can be cross-referenced across different regions and states. More or less, the fact that we even know about Israel really comes from the Bible - perhaps it is an exaggeration, but I'd think if it weren't for the Bible we wouldn't even know of the existence of an ancient Israelite state at such an era... if it existed at all.

I can understand religious impact, but political, intellectual and cultural impact? Ancient Israel were just another small Kingdom in the middle east, while we're at it we may as well be discussing their predecessor, Canaan. As for modern Israel, they are very young and couldn't exist without their allies, hardly worth inclusion on their own.

The difference is that most of what we think we know about Israel comes from the Bible. For other civs such as Egypt and Babylon and the Hittites we have a slew of resources, including inscriptions on monuments, tablets, records and second-hand details from other civilizations, and so on - to the shock of many, Israel is barely mentioned, if at all, in the records of various contemporary states such as Egypt and Assyria. For instance, while the Bible talks about a so-called Shishak invading Judah, on the Egyptian side of things, while most scholars associate Shishak with the Pharaoh Sheshonq I (to my knowledge), Sheshonq's various inscriptions and records make barely any mention of Judah, if at all, only vaguely discussing how he went over to Canaan and beat the crap out of some places. As another example, I've also read that the famous figures David and Solomon aren't mentioned anywhere in contemporary records in neighboring states. Contrast this with the records in Egypt and elsewhere which are not only abundant in comparison, but can be cross-referenced across different regions and states. More or less, the fact that we even know about Israel really comes from the Bible - perhaps it is an exaggeration, but I'd think if it weren't for the Bible we wouldn't even know of the existence of an ancient Israelite state at such an era... if it existed at all.

Interestingly, the only distinguishing feature of sites that are considered to be Israeli instead of Canaan are the lack of pig bones, the pottery, style and such are identical. One of the corner stones of the story of Israel is also the exodus, of which there is no archaeological evidence, and no mention of outside of the bible itself. Such a huge migration would have left some huge markers, which are missing, and in fact, as mentioned above, it appears that Israel is a descendant of Canaan and the people did not migrate from anywhere.

These days it's widely recognised that many stories of the Bible aren't historical accounts, but rather stories to demonstrate Gods power and divine will towards his chosen people. To use such a source by itself for anything that is supposed to be vaguely historical would be quite silly.

Interestingly, the only distinguishing feature of sites that are considered to be Israeli instead of Canaan are the lack of pig bones, the pottery, style and such are identical. One of the corner stones of the story of Israel is also the exodus, of which there is no archaeological evidence, and no mention of outside of the bible itself. Such a huge migration would have left some huge markers, which are missing, and in fact, as mentioned above, it appears that Israel is a descendant of Canaan and the people did not migrate from anywhere.

These days it's widely recognised that many stories of the Bible aren't historical accounts, but rather stories to demonstrate Gods power and divine will towards his chosen people. To use such a source by itself for anything that is supposed to be vaguely historical would be quite silly.

And, even if the "Kingdom of Israel" did exist, they clearly had very little influence during their time since there are no references to them from the records of other civilizations. What's so special about a small, middle-eastern kingdom that nobody bothered to mention? Nothing.

And, even if the "Kingdom of Israel" did exist, they clearly had very little influence during their time since there are no references to them from the records of other civilizations. What's so special about a small, middle-eastern kingdom that nobody bothered to mention? Nothing.

What is special about them is the effect that their religion had and the effect that the descendants of the people of Israel had, particularly as they spread their religion. Ancient Israel did exist though, there is archaeological evidence for it, it's the significance of the Kingdom that is the real question.

Well the historical Ancient Israel would start its historical documented history from the exile to Babylon and on and since the generation isn't far from the Israelite king Hezekiah so from Hezekiah and on are probably historically correct since Hezekiah would still be fresh in the memories of the exiled.

Edit:Sorry I got mixed up with Josiah. But I am sure Hezekiah is still pretty much historical.

What is special about them is the effect that their religion had and the effect that the descendants of the people of Israel had, particularly as they spread their religion. Ancient Israel did exist though, there is archaeological evidence for it, it's the significance of the Kingdom that is the real question.

In terms of its significance, given that it's really mostly just in terms of religion, if Israel was going to be added it would have been added with Gods and Kings, a religion-focused expansion. Otherwise I see the inclusion as unlikely until perhaps a future iteration of Israel.

It should just remain as Jerusalem being a city state.

I can understand religious impact, but political, intellectual and cultural impact? Ancient Israel were just another small Kingdom in the middle east, while we're at it we may as well be discussing their predecessor, Canaan. As for modern Israel, they are very young and couldn't exist without their allies, hardly worth inclusion on their own.

Absolutely agree. I think the original poster is describing Jewish influence on the world in terms of political, cultural and intellectual impact rather than Israeli, which I just don't see. In which case the religion is included in game, and the significant city state of Juruesalem is too - where in my limited knowledge of the subject it played out a more important atrategic role as such for most times Ive seen it refered to in history.

Personally I think this is appropriate and should stay as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom