Israel In BNW?

Should Israel be included as a civ in BNW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree. I think the original poster is describing Jewish influence on the world in terms of political, cultural and intellectual impact rather than Israeli, which I just don't see.
Yeah, I agree. This is exactly why I don't really get the Israel discussions here on civfanatics - it is never clear what we are talking about.

Historical Israel as referred to in the Bible? Jews in general, no matter where they lived? If so, Jews in a religious sense or merely culturally? Maybe Hebrews, without any religious connotation at all?

What I specifically dislike is this confusion of a religious creed (Judaism) with something one would call a civilization (either ancient Israel or Jews in a secular sense). Granted, religion and (secular) culture have a rather close relationship in this specific case, but they are not the same thing. And ancient Israel and modern Jews aren't the same "thing" either.

What are we talking about when we talk about including Israel as a civ?

This is exactly why I don't really get the Israel discussions here on civfanatics - it is never clear what we are talking about.

That's absolutely right, there's no clear understanding of what we mean by 'Israel', but more importantly what we mean by 'civilization'. There's a reason for which it's a controversial and widely disputed term and I think it's misleading us in these discussions.

So let me explain further my point of view on this.

I think the original poster is describing Jewish influence on the world in terms of political, cultural and intellectual impact rather than Israeli

That's right. What I think is that we cannot link 'civs' as shown in the game to real-world historical states/empires. As I said, these in-game 'entities' are rather linked to what I'd call culture. Let's take Poland for example, with a leader from XIV century and a very modern UA. What creates a link between those two features is not a contuity of some sort of terrirotial statehood. There even was a period of some 120 years in which Poland didn't really exist as a state. So what really constitutes Poland (and all other civs in the game for that matter)? For me, that is a continuity of culture and identity.

Ok, now if we look at Jewish identity and culture, we'd have to admit, that it never ceased to exist, evolve and exert influence on the world. Sure, its heritage is very diverse, it's linked to the history of many other cultures (incl. Polish) and it's difficult to think of modern Israel and ancient Hebrew state as the 'same thing'. But think about ancient Greece and today's Greece. Or Vikings and modern Denmark. By all means, these are not 'the same thing' either.

History of Israel is somewhat special, with that many centuries without statehood. But it just makes it more interesting now, doesn't it?

Yeah, I agree. This is exactly why I don't really get the Israel discussions here on civfanatics - it is never clear what we are talking about.
What I'm talking is not what someone else is talking about. Personally, I find the modern state of Israel to be interesting as the epitome of a small civ that is an economic and technological powerhouse. Others want to focus on the ancient Israelites and their semi-historical exploits.

You can compromise though. When you look at Ethiopia as a civ, what are we talking about? 19th-century riflemen and millenia-old steles exist side-by-side. There doesn't seem to be constant rancor about these contrasts. People seem to accept them just fine.

We love to talk about Civilization as if it were so much more than it actually is. Select a civ. You get three unique things, everything else is the same as everybody else. Now play.

Why people insist on drawing these imaginary lines and adamantly insisting that they're uncrossable really leaves me flummoxed.

The ancient kingdom itself isn't too important politically but the game is called Civilization, not Kingdom or Empire.
And as a civilization that stood the test of time Israel is up there with Rome and China.

And, even if the "Kingdom of Israel" did exist, they clearly had very little influence during their time since there are no references to them from the records of other civilizations. What's so special about a small, middle-eastern kingdom that nobody bothered to mention? Nothing.

There are mentions in Assyrian sources because the Levant was always organizing coalitions against them. The later Kingdom of Israel with its capital in Samaria was conquered by the Assyrians. Other Jewish leaders of Judah (capital in Jerusalem) are also mentioned in Assyrian sources.

As for a choice in Solomon? The Bible is a Jewish source. It's certainly not a secular source, but many histories were religious sources. In another thread, people are suggesting the Trung Sisters for Vietnam, but they also only appear in folk stories. For a game, it's sometimes a good enough source, especially when there's nothing fantastical about the possibility that Solomon was a king of Israel.

I'm fine with Israel in my civ 5 mainly because I kinda wanna play with merkavas lol.

That's absolutely right, there's no clear understanding of what we mean by 'Israel', but more importantly what we mean by 'civilization'. There's a reason for which it's a controversial and widely disputed term and I think it's misleading us in these discussions.

So let me explain further my point of view on this.

That's right. What I think is that we cannot link 'civs' as shown in the game to real-world historical states/empires. As I said, these in-game 'entities' are rather linked to what I'd call culture. Let's take Poland for example, with a leader from XIV century and a very modern UA. What creates a link between those two features is not a contuity of some sort of terrirotial statehood. There even was a period of some 120 years in which Poland didn't really exist as a state. So what really constitutes Poland (and all other civs in the game for that matter)? For me, that is a continuity of culture and identity.

Ok, now if we look at Jewish identity and culture, we'd have to admit, that it never ceased to exist, evolve and exert influence on the world. Sure, its heritage is very diverse, it's linked to the history of many other cultures (incl. Polish) and it's difficult to think of modern Israel and ancient Hebrew state as the 'same thing'. But think about ancient Greece and today's Greece. Or Vikings and modern Denmark. By all means, these are not 'the same thing' either.

History of Israel is somewhat special, with that many centuries without statehood. But it just makes it more interesting now, doesn't it?

Couldn't agree more. The only ones who could even make Israel controversial, are the ones trying to argue that it would be controversial or if Firaxis gave them a controversial UA.

I admit I wasn't a fan of Poland getting into the Civ franchise, but think about why they got in:

1. Huge Fanbase
2. Despite being conquered and ceasing to exist for periods, changed greatly in various forms, and without a truly expansive empire

Both of those can describe Israel's potential inclusion. I would be drooling at the potential to market Israel if I was on Firaxis's Marketing squad considering the nature of people. Its just a win-win scenario if managed right.

I'd embrace Israel whole-heartedly if they're included in the expansion; likewise, I'd buy them right up as DLC. They're currently one of my top picks for a 'dark horse.'

I'd also not put too much on the opinion of a internet forum ;)

See the xcom squad, it got applause when they presented it, yet some people on here are very upset about their inclusion (and that of the GDR as well btw.). The poll on that thread however shows that even the 'silent majority' doesn't mind them. It's a few that are complaining loudly.

I don't think the situation can be compared to the Popé controversy Firaxis ran into with the Pueblo People, as it here would be the other guys complaining of the inclusion, not the ones represented.

I think it's perfect the way it is now - as a city-state.
What I mean is that if you look at news, it's like a hotly contested religilous city-state, America gifting it units and gaining faith points, and enemies ready to devour it. I'm not being political but I like it that way, same with some other city-states as well that I think work better as a CS.

Otherwise I think Israel would have cool options for uniques, everything from religion to espionage to military. I just think it's a good as a city-state in the game.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I wouldn't object to it if it were inspired by a King David-era ancient Israel rather than the modern-day state, but I think it suits the City-State role rather well.

Moderator Action: If you have an issue with a post, please report it and let the staff handle the issue. To respond is to recognize that which ought to be ignored. Offensive posts, and responses, deleted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I voted 'no', for two reasons:

a) I think its too small / unimportant.
b) No matter how hard you try, you wont be able to create it in a way that will be neither pro nor contra Israel, therefor forcing Firaxis to make a political statement. Thats not a good idea.

I think it's a stretch to say that there's more continuity in Jewish culture from ancient times to now in contrast to other cultures. Firstly, Jewish religion and culture has changed considerably even within the last few centuries - the Jews didn't even speak Hebrew as we know it until it was revived as a language a couple of centuries ago, for instance; contrast that with your example of Greece, where Greek has evolved continuously since it broke off Proto-Indo-European. Additionally, the Talmud as we know it wasn't even written down until a few centuries after the beginning of the diaspora - and even by then there were considerable differences among different Jewish groups; essentially, the religion of the Israelites is not the same as the religion fo the Jews today. While I suppose you can say there's some continuity there, the fact that the Jews scattered all over the globe and partially or almost fully assimilated into various cultures, leads me to believe that there isn't as much continuity as places such as Greece.

What I mean is I think it doesn't make sense to consider the Jews in between the ancient state and the modern state as really the same group. Would we consider a Jewish scholar in medieval Iberia to be part of Moorish or Castillan society and culture, for instance, or of a separate Jewish society? The former, I'd wager. Would we consider a Jewish rabbi in medieval Poland to be a Polish Jew, or just a Jew? He'd be the former - a Jew who's part of Poland.

Civs in game are linked to existing states and empires. Your case with Poland I think doesn't really work because Poland as a clearly defined political entity was still around for 120 years, enough that the children and grandchilren of the last independent rulers of Poland were still around when it gained independence again, and enough that the Poles were still in their own homeland and still had a clear distinct identity - contrast this with Israel, which did not exist at all as an independent political entity for almost 2000 years, and whose people dispersed all across the globe and picked up cultural elements from all over. While you may disagree, I think the amazing dispersal of Jews all over the world simply makes them parts of their new homes' cultures, or rather a sub-culture of their new culture, not the old Israelite one.

Additionally, Greece as represented in-game is only the ancient Greece, not the medieval one (which is represented by Byzantium), or the modern one (which isn't really represented). Or, take Rome - you don't see a medieval or modern Italian civilization (as some have suggested). Even many non-European civs get this treatment, too - Persia represents only Achaemenid Persia, not Sassanid Persia, any of the medieval Turco-Persian states, or modern Iran; the Ottomans represent a small subset of the many Turks, not all Turks; the Aztecs don't represent Mexico, as they do in a few other games (like Rise or Nations or Empire Earth II). The only exceptions are few - China (though the state of China as a concept and its existence is more or less as old as at least the Qin Dynasty (i.e. 2200 years), if not further back into the Zhou or Shang dynasties and maybe even the Xia - even conquerors of China had to adhere to this concept of the Middle Kingdom, which not only survived for more than two millennia, but was actively promoted and enforced (in contrast to Israel, which as a concept survived, but was not enforced until very recently)); India (which is a frankensteinian agglamation of various cultures and historical states); Ethiopia (dunno why); and that's all I can think of.

All that said, I don't think the inclusion of Israel's a bad idea - I just think they'd have to focus on either the ancient kingdom or the modern state, the former being more preferable in my opinion. Though frankly I don't think they'd make it into BNW. As I said before, if they were going to be in, it would have been with Gods and Kings.

As for a choice in Solomon? The Bible is a Jewish source. It's certainly not a secular source, but many histories were religious sources. In another thread, people are suggesting the Trung Sisters for Vietnam, but they also only appear in folk stories.

While I do agree the Trung Sisters don't have the most reliable of historical evidence to back up many of their deeds, they were mentioned in Chinese sources - though the Chinese just considered them another bunch of upstart tribal nonsense from the southern regions and didn't care much. While I understand your analogy, I think it's al ittle off since Vietnam - and much of ancient far Asia - only have China to go off as a source for historical information, while Israel was surrounded by a whole myriad of record-keeping cultures, including Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, the Hittites, Elam, Minoa and Mycenae, even other city-states and petty kingdoms in the Levant. But anyhow as you say I don't consider it too relevant - either David or Solomon would be good as a leader for an Israel civ in my opinion.

The other leaders, though, only cared about who was in charge when they were destroying them. So if they were mentioned in a source, it wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in their leadership abilities. :p

The other leaders, though, only cared about who was in charge when they were destroying them. So if they were mentioned in a source, it wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in their leadership abilities. :p

There were however many records from the Near East that dealt with matters other than military and the utter destruction of civilizations - stuff like small states asking bigger states for protection or something, mentions of expeditions and embassies to various regions, and even strategic marriages between realms. The Amarna letters (I think that's what they're called) are a good example of this. Anyhow, in all those, to my knowledge, there is rarely any mention of Israel - if at all.

Though again as said it doesn't really matter much when it comes to the inclusion of Israel as a civ, I think an ancient Israel civ would be interesting enough; I'm more against a big Israel representing everything from the ancient times to modern-day for the reasons stated in my post above.

Yeah, I don't really want to see the modern Israeli state, but I'd love to see the Israelites under King David or something.

The Israelites were pretty powerful at one point, but others were more powerful and their only real standout point in the time period was their unusual religion. It would also probably be too contentious to include them; it would upset a lot of people.

I think Arabia is a good counterpoint. I realize it's all kind of arbitrary, but what has Arabia done to justify being included as a civilization? They founded a world religion, that's all. Same with Israel, except Israel is a lot older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom