Why does multi suck so bad?

Mklangelo

Chieftain
I've been loving this game since Civ II but didn't take it seriously. I didn't really understand the game then but thought I did when playing Civ IV, at least had a basic grasp on it.

I took the plunge to Civ V and like it. The main thing I like is no one can come at you with a stack 40 high. LOL I'm trying to master "Prince" and am getting close.

For the first time I thought I would try multiplayer. Now I've been gaming for many years... And never have I met a more tactless, less friendly and downright rude group of gamers in my life. This is perplexing since when I come to this forum, I see a group eager to help each other and have fun with the whole thing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

MK :scan:

I'll tell you what you are missing. The clans [AKA steam groups] :). Join one of the existing Civ 5 steam groups and organize matches that way, its a better experience that way. Plus if there are any crashed you can reload/resync much easier this way

I'll tell you what you are missing. The clans [AKA steam groups] :). Join one of the existing Civ 5 steam groups and organize matches that way, its a better experience that way. Plus if there are any crashed you can reload/resync much easier this way

So that accounts for the endless stream of Arsehole I meet each time I try to either host or join a Multi game? Non answer...

IT'S A GAME lol

?

Sorry not sure what you are going at? Public games can have random people, some people that are jerks sure. Most decent players don't play public games often, so not sure what you are complaining about? In civ 4 I remember it was much worse, where there would be trolls who would actively try and join a game in progress to destroy it.

There will always be jerky personalities out there, but if you join one of the steam groups you can cut down on these sorts as moderators can remove them from these groups

There is a difference between a public game and a steam group game (Whether it be NQ, Civ Players, I.DLC, etc.)

?

Sorry not sure what you are going at? Public games can have random people, some people that are jerks sure. Most decent players don't play public games often, so not sure what you are complaining about? In civ 4 I remember it was much worse, where there would be trolls who would actively try and join a game in progress to destroy it.

There will always be jerky personalities out there, but if you join one of the steam groups you can cut down on these sorts as moderators can remove them from these groups

There is a difference between a public game and a steam group game (Whether it be NQ, Civ Players, I.DLC, etc.)
OK. Now I must learn STEAM. How does that go>? I press Shift + Tab and I get spam. buy this >>> buy that.

You should give CoD MP a shot, according to radio chatter 99% of world population banged your mom even though she has the mass of Jupiter, lies under the check out at Walmart, saying "biep" and is ugly as hell.

If you use steam groups, click on Community tab and then look for a group that suits you. After joining use the chat to introduce yourself and look for players. Sometime groups allow their members to create events, so you can set up a match for a specific time with specific rules in mind (e.g. noobs only, no qutting, no shift+click movement) and look if there are people interested. Another alternative is to use the multiplayer section of this fine forum and ask around there if players are interested in joining a game of you.

Pubbers in multiplayer definitely can be annoying sometimes, as many are n00bs with no clue, others are quitters, others are s, sure.

But i've played with a lot of great players too randomly in MP since i don't really have the time to played at scheduled games with steam groups.

Pubbers in any game tend to be hit-and-miss. Left4Dead2 is by far the worst for public multiplayer games.

I'd echo ense7en in saying that part of the problem is that Civ 5 games take a fair while to play through in multiplayer, and it's tough to have enough time open when a Steam group is playing if you work certain schedules or have a lot of other things going on. But Steam groups -- or PMing people in the multiplayer forum -- are both ways to get solid players.

Join steam groups like NQ, and you will have very satisfying experience. The good things with civ5 single player is that the single player Diplomacy is kinda similar to how human plays. It is usually brutal.

I remember trying to play civ multiplayer for civ 3 and civ 4, I always got booted so I stopped caring. Seriously like set up on first turn then instant boot.

I was like well okay whatever I will not even care about multi anymore. And I've had far far far better experience on left for the dead 1 and 2.

sufficiency, when you get the right group of players it is very good.
It depends on whether your enjoyment comes from predictably winning against the AI or from trying to pit your wits against other people (and potentially loosing).

If I want to pit my wits against other people, I will go play an rts. Game.
sufficiency, when you get the right group of players it is very good.
It depends on whether your enjoyment comes from predictably winning against the AI or from trying to pit your wits against other people (and potentially loosing).

You could try doing that, then, rather than coming to a forum specifically dedicated to a turn based game where a lot of people enjoy multiplayer and saying
People need to realize that multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy games are simply not fun.
because it makes you look silly at best.

Simultaneous turns make it more RTS'ish.
But it's all about the players you play with. If you're playing against much weaker/stronger opponents, that's indeed not fun. But if manage to find a group you're comfortable with, it's very fun. You really should try that. :)

People need to realize that multiplayer Turn-Based Strategy games are simply not fun. These games are designed to be single player games. Years of experience with HoMM taught me this.

Speak for yourself.

I find MP lots of fun, far more entertaining than exploiting AI all day.
I wouldn't say that there aren't issues in MP; there are. I do really wish they'd spend more time improving MP.

But it's still great fun.

I find the emphasis on mouse-clicking skills in multiplayer RTS tedious.

I don't deny that high-speed high-precision mouse clicking is a skill, I just can't figure out why it's a desirable one or why I would care to compare my mouse-clicking skills with someone else's.

Hence MP turn-based games.
It's important not to overreach in terms of scope. Have realistic expectations about how long a game might take and how many people you're asking to sit down for that long if the turns are short or how long they have to stay interested in finishing their turns if the game is long.

Top Bottom